[BUG] - Choppy Precision Touchpad Scrolling

Ka
Kaptem
Platform: Windows

Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:30 am Post

Hello!

Hello, I am using the Scrivener 3.0 Beta, Release Candidate 3, version 2.9.9.3. Windows 10.

Using the precision touchpad on my Surface Laptop 3 (AMD) , I have a stuttering and unsmooth scrolling experience while scrolling with the touchpad. The issue resolves when the laptop is plugged into a power source, but otherwise it is stuttering.

The arrow keys provide a standard and comfortable scrolling experience.

The document contains two thousand words.

The file is not in a synced location.

I am not sure if this is classified as a bug, or suggestion, or if any built in feature is contained to solve the problem. I did not find any other posts on the Beta Testing forum with my issue. I apologize if this post is not appropriate for this forum.

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:00 pm Post

Kaptem wrote:The issue resolves when the laptop is plugged into a power source, but otherwise it is stuttering.
Interesting observation. It sounds to my (not very technical ears) that when on battery power, your laptop may be going into some mode that saves power but degrades performance. Does it by any chance go into battery saver or something like that?

Best,
JIm
I’m just a customer.

Ka
Kaptem

Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:08 pm Post

JimRac wrote: It sounds to my (not very technical ears) that when on battery power, your laptop may be going into some mode that saves power but degrades performance. Does it by any chance go into battery saver or something like that?

Hello. The issue persists even when the Windows 10 battery settings are set to maximum performance.

Ka
Kaptem

Sun May 31, 2020 3:00 am Post

Some unmentioned information that might be helpful.

I seemed to be mistaken and the issue persists regardless of the power state of the laptop. The main cause seems to be the amount of text on the screen. Scrolling is silky smooth when around a single paragraph is in the editor. Any more than that and the scrolling becomes choppy.

The issue also does not appear in the main editor of the non-beta version of the software unless it is in the full screen editor. In the full screen editor of the non-beta Scrivener the scrolling is also choppy. The old-non beta fullscreen choppiness resolves when the paper width of the full screen editor is set to a very thin and unreadable level.

Ka
Kaptem

Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:54 am Post

After a fresh install of Windows 10 the issue still persists and is back to fluctuating depending on power condition, albeit never being perfect when plugged in.
The display is 2496 x 1664 and scales 150%, and by shrinking the size of the scrivener window so that it only occupies a quarter of the monitor, the scrolling returns to being smooth regardless of power condition. It also returns to being smooth when zoomed the editor is zoomed out 50%.

Currently issue seemingly resolves when turning off fixed width editor?

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:06 am Post

Have you tried running the High DPI version of the Windows Beta? If you're interested in seeing if it will make a difference, you can find it on the beta download page, at the bottom of the Release notes: https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=40621

Be aware though, some testers have experienced issues with the High DPI version, discussed in this thread: https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=61897

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.