Given coronavirus, are those of us using the Beta going to be... discommoded on the 31st?

zo
zornhau
Platform: Windows

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:48 am Post

First, to be clear, I hope everybody at Literature and Latte are safe and well and doing everything to stay that way. And I also appreciate that this is a beta, so those of us who have been using it "for production" chose to do so at our own risk, without creating any obligation for L&L.

All that said, I am reminded that the current version expires on the 31st. Are we likely to see a new version with a longer expiry date?

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:14 am Post

Not an L&L employee, but given that L&L is a small, international group of devs and support staff, I expect it is business as usual unless one of them is ill. I would be very surprised if a new, updated expiry version is not available shortly.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:45 pm Post

A new update will be available shortly with extended dates.

Am
Amcmo

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:21 am Post

tiho_d wrote:A new update will be available shortly with extended dates.

Damn, no full release on 31/03. Dreams shattered again. :wink:

As long as the release date isn’t April 1 I’m happy.

ro
robcee

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:01 pm Post

Beta 44 expires 7th April 2020.

:cry:

a week? Maybe this implies there'll be a new release by then (yay!), but maybe not? I would love to hear from the devs on actual status, expected release timeline, and maybe about an increased cadence in the run up to release candidate status.

The lack of information has made me more reluctant to try the beta versions, and I'm very hesitant to let beta software touch my manuscripts.

you folks need a release manager.

(edited for grammar)

wo
wordjoy

Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:43 pm Post

Not sure where your concerns are?
They have NEVER missed a new version on or before the beta expiration.
Release management seems fine to me. But I only have 30 years in the software industry so what do I know...

kewms
Platform: Mac

Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:49 pm Post

We will not be announcing a release date. (Well, not in advance. We'll certainly announce the actual release!)

Status updates can be found in the pinned announcement thread at the top of this forum.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Am
Amcmo

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:16 pm Post

kewms wrote:We will not be announcing a release date. (Well, not in advance. We'll certainly announce the actual release!)

Status updates can be found in the pinned announcement thread at the top of this forum.

Katherine

Give us a week’s notice, time to take out a mortgage, raid the piggy bank......

Jestar

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:17 pm Post

Amcmo wrote:Give us a week’s notice, time to take out a mortgage, raid the piggy bank......

THIS! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Win 10 Ent. 64-Bit 2004
Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3,4 GHz (Quadcore) 32 GB RAM
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
NVIDIA Quadro K600
Scrivener Version: Version: 1.9.16.0 - 14 Nov 2019 & Version: 2.9.9.12 Beta (1120018) 64-bit - 25 Nov 2020

JJ
JJSlote

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:26 pm Post

kewms wrote:We will not be announcing a release date. (Well, not in advance. We'll certainly announce the actual release!)
Hope there will be a "Release Candidate" beta as well, with a last call for beta testers to remind the team of any lingering anomalies they may have missed.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:41 am Post

JJSlote wrote:
Hope there will be a "Release Candidate" beta as well, with a last call for beta testers to remind the team of any lingering anomalies they may have missed.

They track all the bugs that are reported. If you feel a bug is not tracked, search to see if it has been assigned a bug number in the thread title. If it has a number...it's being tracked. It may not make the cut for fixing before 3.0 release, but it's being tracked.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

pc
pcgeekesq

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:12 am Post

I just want L&L to release a version they think is worth selling, because I want to buy Scrivener 3 for Windows.
I think the current "betas" are already worth paying for, but L&L appears to have higher standards than I do.

In my defense, I use a lot of Microsoft software, so I'm used to, well, making do.

ro
robcee

Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:28 pm Post

Katherine

Thanks for that, Katherine. I'd like some inkling (!) of where we're at in terms of software stability before committing to a beta version. Are we 5 blockers from a release? 10? 1000? I get that you're a small team, and nobody likes to break a promise, but it would be nice to get an idea of relative stability.

I gave up testing other people's beta software years ago, but I'm considering it with Scrivener. The Mac and iOS versions were great.

DavidR

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:03 pm Post

robcee wrote:Thanks for that, Katherine. I'd like some inkling (!) of where we're at in terms of software stability before committing to a beta version. Are we 5 blockers from a release? 10? 1000? I get that you're a small team, and nobody likes to break a promise, but it would be nice to get an idea of relative stability.

I gave up testing other people's beta software years ago, but I'm considering it with Scrivener. The Mac and iOS versions were great.

WRT stability of the beta, there's a thread addressing that very issue, with users reporting their experience: https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=61101.
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

ro
robcee

Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:55 pm Post

DavidR wrote:
robcee wrote:Thanks for that, Katherine. I'd like some inkling (!) of where we're at in terms of software stability before committing to a beta version. Are we 5 blockers from a release? 10? 1000? I get that you're a small team, and nobody likes to break a promise, but it would be nice to get an idea of relative stability.

WRT stability of the beta, there's a thread addressing that very issue, with users reporting their experience: https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=61101.

Thanks for the link. I had been following that thread and there's some good evidence the beta's been quite stable for some, which is encouraging. At April 6th, still having not installed the most recent beta, the chances of me trying it out before a new release appears tomorrow is an increasingly large negative value.

Does the Beta have a software update mechanism where it'll self-update when a new version is released?