[LH4703] Whole word option doesn't work in Project Replace

ch
chrisdr2
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:09 am
Platform: Windows

Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:31 pm Post

Hi,

I was about to report this bug for the previous version. As the subject says, the Whole Word option doesn't work for Project Replace - it seems to work as Contains.

For instance, take the following line:

"This morning Mo woke up early"

I want to replace Mo with David in the entire manuscript. However, with the "Whole Word" option selected, the line ends up as:

"This Davidrning David woke up early."

If the replace string matches multiple words, it will turn a manuscript into mincemeat.

Thanks

Christopher

:

ch
chrisdr2
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:09 am
Platform: Windows

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:12 am Post

There was no reply to this, and I see it's still an issue with RC7. I checked the forum and can't see it noted anywhere else.

User avatar
jje
Posts: 372
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:57 pm
Platform: Windows
Location: Sussex, UK

Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:28 am Post

I also just tested this in RC7 (hiDPI) and can confirm that it is definitely a bug; the "whole word" option makes no difference to the results.

ch
chrisdr2
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:09 am
Platform: Windows

Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:53 am Post

I found out the hard way. After finishing the first draft of a novel, I changed a character name from Mo to James. Literally every occurrence of 'mo' in the document got changed to James! I tried to reverse by changing James back to Mo, which kind of worked - but any word starting with capital Mo (Morning etc) ended up as lowercase. Thank god for backups!

User avatar
MimeticMouton
Posts: 9044
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 5:39 am
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: city of rain
Contact:

Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:43 am Post

Thank you for the report! Sorry this has taken some time to get to, but it has been filed and should be addressed soon.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)