Hotkey Special Characters

Sparrowhawk
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:06 pm Post

I tried posting this in the Technical Support forum a few days ago, but it seems to have been ignored, so posting it here:

Sparrowhawk wrote:So I started my Scrivener days on Mac, but I have been migrating more and more to PC. The Windows team has done a great job, and the transition has been nigh painless. However, there is a MacOS feature that I miss terribly, and I can get around it in Word, but I'm not sure how to do so in Scrivener.

I need to be able to use special characters without having to type out an alt code. And not just because it's a huge waste of time and hard to remember, but also because I do most of my writing on a laptop that doesn't have a numpad. On Mac, it was just a matter of holding down the vowel (I almost never used characters on consonants), but those days are gone.

In Word I can hotkey special characters like ä. Can Scrivener do this as well? How do I access it?

Also, can the Beta / will Scriv 3 be able to do this? And if so, how?

-Eric
You will find more evidence of the ridiculousness of humanity in the bathroom mirror than any other place in the world.

rdale

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:53 pm Post

I'm still amazed that Windows doesn't have a better built-in method for accents. I mean, why not offer an option to just press-and-hold a key to get a pop-up of choices the way mobile virtual keyboards (and Mac OS) works?

I did a little digging once, and there are third-party utilities that make accented characters easier to enter. Here's a link with a few options (scroll to the bottom): https://superuser.com/questions/110605/ ... in-windows
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

Sparrowhawk

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:21 pm Post

rdale wrote:I'm still amazed that Windows doesn't have a better built-in method for accents. I mean, why not offer an option to just press-and-hold a key to get a pop-up of choices the way mobile virtual keyboards (and Mac OS) works?

I did a little digging once, and there are third-party utilities that make accented characters easier to enter. Here's a link with a few options (scroll to the bottom): https://superuser.com/questions/110605/ ... in-windows

Thanks! I read on the forum about WinCompose and it seems to be doing the trick and works in Scrivener. Still not as nice as MacOS's just hold the vowel down solution, but at least I can now type wheat I need on my laptop!
You will find more evidence of the ridiculousness of humanity in the bathroom mirror than any other place in the world.

DavidR
Platform: Windows

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:32 pm Post

You can set up substitutions to do this. E.g., I have a\ set up to become à.
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

jl
jljovano
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:15 pm Post

If you miss french accents, you can install this
http://users.sfr.be/denis.liegeois/kbdfrac.htm
and get É œ Ç æ Æ etc., all with altgr+key

;)