Scrivener 3.0 Beta vs Scrivener 1.9.16

Be
Benjamin Rittgers
Platform: Linux

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:22 pm Post

Should I move to the Beta or stick with the supported version? I am dealing with issues in aspell and would like to try the improved spellcheck, but I don't know if I should move to the Scrivener 3.0 until it is supported.

If I go to 3.0, this break compatibility with my Mac as it is too old to run Scrivener 3.0 for Mac. I never use the Mac, but I thought I might need it for ebook kerning when I am done with the novel.

So should I stay or should I go now?

krastev
Platform: Windows

Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:56 pm Post

The spellcheck is not different 3.0.
Krastev
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.16.0
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:10 pm Post

... although it may be a newer version.

The best advice, seeing as you didn't state what issues you are hoping were fixed or worked around, is to install the beta in a folder separate from the default one (so as not to replace the current version). Then convert a project where you've been experiencing the issue (Scrivener 3 will create a version 1-compatible backup copy in the same folder before the conversion), and test it out. Don't do any real work on your project in version 3 until you're satisfied that it solves whatever issues you're having (or if it's the same, but other features tempt you), so that you can just go back to the v1 backup copy using Scrivener 1.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".