Scrivener 3 Beta expiration -- Will I still be able to use beta if already downloaded?

zarahoffman
Platform: Mac

Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:41 pm Post

NoHope wrote:
It's now the expiration date and I can't find the update.

No it’s not. Beta 32 was released a little while back and it expires after 20 Jan. If you look on the Windows Beta home page you will see the derails, or you could just select Help > check for updates - on iPad so that may not be exact wording

I was still on 31 and hadn't received the 32 update notification. I see it now. Thank you
Zara Hoffman
Author of The Belgrave Legacy

sh
shiny47
Platform: Windows

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:13 pm Post

20 days for the beta to be valid is a really narrow and frustrating window.

I'm not using scrivener on a daily basis and it is frustrating that every time I open it it has expired and I need to reinstall. How close to release are we?

Tw
Twolane

Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:15 pm Post

Strange. When the Betas I use expire, I get a notice of a new Beta. I click on a button, a download happens, and I hit install or update or whatever it says. Wham, bam thank you, ma'm and Bob's yer unkle I have a new Beta. Can't beat that.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:07 am Post

shiny47 wrote:20 days for the beta to be valid is a really narrow and frustrating window.

I'm not using scrivener on a daily basis and it is frustrating that every time I open it it has expired and I need to reinstall. How close to release are we?

The whole point of the narrow window is so that we don't have users using a very old version of the beta then hitting a bug that's long since been fixed. If you aren't going to use it frequently and are not prepared to update often, perhaps using the beta is not the best choice for you.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

Fr
Frido

Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:27 pm Post

KJIsaacson wrote:I see that Scrivener 3 Beta will expire at the end of this month. If I've already downloaded it, will I be able to use it past that date? And be able to access my saved project?

Thanks.

On that toppic i'd like to add that Scrivener makes only a checkup with the system time, which potentially allows the use after past date. Im not sure that is wanted but i suggest closing this loophole even though it allows updating beta after past date.... :!:

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:15 am Post

Frido wrote:
KJIsaacson wrote:I see that Scrivener 3 Beta will expire at the end of this month. If I've already downloaded it, will I be able to use it past that date? And be able to access my saved project?

Thanks.

On that toppic i'd like to add that Scrivener makes only a checkup with the system time, which potentially allows the use after past date. Im not sure that is wanted but i suggest closing this loophole even though it allows updating beta after past date.... :!:

Rely on that "feature" for long enough, especially if you're syncing to other systems, and sooner or later you're going to shoot yourself in the foot. Using it as a quick shim to get into an expired beta to export your data or get an update? That's just user-friendly.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot