Beta Expires Soon

User avatar
jje
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:57 pm
Platform: Windows
Location: Sussex, UK

Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:21 am Post

Please may I suggest that the devs do a “sticky” post at the top of the forum called “what happens when the current beta expires?”, which would save people the (very understandable) anxiety and save us all from the regular reappearance of this topic?

As
Astaff
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:11 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:54 am Post

jamoore87 wrote:Calling people idiots isnt necessary.


I didn’t call you an idiot, I called the people who reply all idiots.

I said it was a waste of time commenting on new posters who ask, because that will always happen, just a fact of life.

User avatar
devinganger
Posts: 1728
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Monroe, WA 98272 (CN97au)
Contact:

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:13 am Post

jje wrote:Please may I suggest that the devs do a “sticky” post at the top of the forum called “what happens when the current beta expires?”, which would save people the (very understandable) anxiety and save us all from the regular reappearance of this topic?


If they don't take the time to read the current list of topics and see that there are 15 threads already asking that, why should we expect them to read a sticky post?

The info on how to download the current beta is in a sticky post and we still get questions on that every week...
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

Ki
Kinsey
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:06 pm
Platform: Mac

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:24 am Post

A suggestion. To those of you who pile into every one of these threads (and it’s the same ones every time): draft a standard response explaining the beta process. Two lines will do. Post it if you feel the need to respond.

Not only will it save you the time required to draft the unhelpful comments, it will help preserve this forum’s reputation for civility and helpfulness.

User avatar
jje
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:57 pm
Platform: Windows
Location: Sussex, UK

Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:26 pm Post

devinganger wrote:
jje wrote:Please may I suggest that the devs do a “sticky” post at the top of the forum called “what happens when the current beta expires?”, which would save people the (very understandable) anxiety and save us all from the regular reappearance of this topic?


If they don't take the time to read the current list of topics and see that there are 15 threads already asking that, why should we expect them to read a sticky post?

The info on how to download the current beta is in a sticky post and we still get questions on that every week...


Fair points, but it might catch the eyes of a few people. And, tbh, the "sticky" information about how to download the latest beta is a bit easy to miss because it's separated from the rest of the forum (under "Announements") and always shows the date that the very first beta was posted (Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:22 pm ), which makes it look as if it's old information.

What I was suggesting was the first post in the forum itself could highlight the info, ideally in such a way that it would automatically appear at the top of the list of posts. I don't imagine it will entirely solve the problem, but it might simplify everyone's lives a little bit.

User avatar
lunk
Posts: 3641
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Sweden 64° N

Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:59 pm Post

It sits at the top of the ”Beta testing” part of the forum. Isn’t that the natural place?

71FEECBE-BAD8-4B95-B17E-2518EA190EC8.png
71FEECBE-BAD8-4B95-B17E-2518EA190EC8.png (265.69 KiB) Viewed 875 times
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

ma
mariani
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:00 pm
Platform: Windows

Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:49 pm Post

Any tentative date about the official release?
Thank you

Ji
JimRac
Posts: 1232
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:06 pm
Platform: Win + iOS

Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:42 pm Post

HI mariani,

As per this blog post, L&L will no longer be providing tentative release dates.

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/blog/scrivener-3-for-windows-further-delays

> "We’re not going to give another release date until everything is fixed and working properly." <

Your best way of tracking progress is by following the change list for each new beta release, here: https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=40621

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

rw
rwfranz
Posts: 767
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:41 pm
Platform: Windows

Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:22 am Post

Maybe a moderator should post a (hopefully short) set of FAQs about the Beta in the announcements section?

The two most common questions seem to be:

  1. When's the release date?
    and
  2. The current Beta expires in days.

And the answers, of course, can be as simple as

  1. L&L doesn't do release dates; the software will be released when it's ready.

    and
  2. We've not missed a Beta expiration date yet; we don't expect to miss it this time.

And, of course, some people still won't read them, but we could, you know, refer to it by reference in reply and skip all the insults, including the implied onces.

User avatar
garpu
Posts: 2015
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:38 pm
Platform: Linux

Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:52 am Post

If October 31 rolls around and midnight is approaching, open Scrivener and keep it open. It should be OK the next day. You should be able to finagle your computer's date, as well, but I don't know if they closed that loophole. :)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

User avatar
jje
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:57 pm
Platform: Windows
Location: Sussex, UK

Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:49 am Post

garpu wrote:If October 31 rolls around and midnight is approaching, open Scrivener and keep it open. It should be OK the next day. You should be able to finagle your computer's date, as well, but I don't know if they closed that loophole. :)


Or just download the latest beta; even simpler! :wink:

je
jesuslpgc
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:48 pm
Platform: Windows

Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:42 am Post

jamoore87 wrote:We're only a few days away from the current beta expiring. Any update on when the next beta will become available?


Welcome to the forum.

Normally once the beta expires a new once it's published, unless version 3 is published (fingers crossed). The coders are still working on Version 3 for Windows and it seems the release version's still some time away, so most probably you will be able to download a new beta. Don't forget to inform in the proper sections of the forum on any issues, suggestions or doubts you might have.

Quick edit: the beta itself has informed me that a new version is available and it's currently downloading and upgrading itself!!!! Next expire is Nov 15.

User avatar
garpu
Posts: 2015
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:38 pm
Platform: Linux

Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:54 pm Post

jje wrote:
garpu wrote:If October 31 rolls around and midnight is approaching, open Scrivener and keep it open. It should be OK the next day. You should be able to finagle your computer's date, as well, but I don't know if they closed that loophole. :)


Or just download the latest beta; even simpler! :wink:


That works, too! No exploits or time traveling needed!
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

User avatar
tiho_d
Posts: 868
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:14 pm
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:55 am Post

I would not recommend anyone changing the PC time as you might hit unexpected behavior. Scrivener relies heavily on file dates for syncing and latest version file detection based on time. For example in case of multiple *.scrivx files within the project folder(in case of a faulty syncing with a cloud sharing service) Scrivener might choose to load the newest *.scrivx file within your project folder, If you move the clock backwards, you might end up with an unexpected Binder structure upon restart, Although it might work in some cases, I cannot promise that Scrivener will work flawlessly in all cases after a PC date/time move backwards. Especially we know that it might cause license server verification issues in v1.9.X and in v3 once licensing is enabled.