(Beta 25) - editing to add any character/word in editor overwrites succeeding characters/words.

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:27 am Post

Thanks for the feedback guys. We will flip the Insert key functionality so that you always start in insert(not overwrite mode) as it was previously. Hope you can live with the current state until we release the new Beta some time next week, or simply use the Options to turn it off completely.

jje
Platform: Windows

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:19 am Post

tiho_d wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys. We will flip the Insert key functionality so that you always start in insert(not overwrite mode) as it was previously. Hope you can live with the current state until we release the new Beta some time next week, or simply use the Options to turn it off completely.

Many thanks for the speedy response; I've disabled it for now and am happy the default will be flipped for the next beta.

krastev

Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:13 pm Post

tiho_d wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys. We will flip the Insert key functionality so that you always start in insert(not overwrite mode) as it was previously. Hope you can live with the current state until we release the new Beta some time next week, or simply use the Options to turn it off completely.

Thank you,
M
Krastev
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.13.0
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:54 pm Post

krastev wrote:For those who are looking for the option, it can be found under:

Options —> Editing —> Options (tab) —> Use the Insert key to control overtype mode (checkbox)

Use Krastev's advice here, and you won't have to be bothered on any project, until this is otherwise remedied.

There's a release due end of month, and perhaps it will get a mini-release before that. Time for calm.

[and yes, I missed Tiho's promise for earlier, and Krastev's reply, a little above on a second page, but I guess this can still help for someone jumping in a the end as you can with forum....]

jn
jnials

Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:00 am Post

So playing with this, I realized it's *always* starting in overwrite mode. Either it should start in insert mode or it should remember the last state it was in. I'd prefer it always start in insert mode.

tipkilby

Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:30 am Post

IvyNelson wrote:I have tried every combination to try and toggle my insert key and it's not working. I'm on a Windows 10 HP computer and my ins key is on the 0 key of the num key pad. I've tried fn/ins I've tried ctrl/ins, shift/ins, alt/ins shift/alt/ins ctrl/shift/ins, ctrl/alt/ins., ctrl/shift/alt/ins

basically every combo and I cannot get it to toggle out of overwrite mode. If anyone has any suggestions for me that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

I have a new HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 10 also, and I did exactly the same as Ivy... all combinations of ctrl/alt/etc ins would not work for me. :x Thankfully I see that I can just turn off that function in the Options/Editing menu.

Add my vote to the list to make the Scrivener default so that it will start up in Insert mode rather than Overwrite mode! :D

wo
wordjoy

Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:10 pm Post

Writers.. please read also.

This fix is planned for later this month. As was stated a couple days ago