Release on Aug 30 confirmed?

Do
Dormouse
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:13 pm Post

mariani wrote:I cannot be happy with the beta. It might not be safe and, maybe, I could lose something important.

kewms wrote:Taking a piece of software and labeling it "Official Release" has absolutely no impact on the functionality of that code. And conversely, a piece of software is not rendered less reliable by being labeled "Beta."

Katherine
Katherine is completely correct.
You can lose something important with a beta, but that is exactly the same as any officially released software, including Windows and macOS. You have to make your own judgements about any piece of software. And your own arrangements for safeguarding your data.

As far as I am aware there have been no issues regarding the safety of the data in Scrivener 3, beta or no beta.
And you would be wise to have comprehensive backups even when there is the official release.
Just as you should with any piece of software.

Sc
Scribhneoir
Platform: Windows

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:54 am Post

mariani wrote:I still see a lot of bug reports. It looks like the scheduled day will be postponed. I do hope to be wrong.
Any news?

You're not wrong. They're missing the promised release date. Raise your hand if you're surprised. :roll:

From the Beta 22 release notes;

We have made significant progress with this release; however, I don't believe it would be prudent to release on my announced target date of the 31st August 2019. Scrivener 3 for Windows . . . I personally take accountability for not hitting the 31st August 2019 date. I do believe we are a matter of a few weeks away now - I'm certainly not talking months.

It's great Lee feels accountable, but what are the consequences for missing yet another target by a "few more weeks"? None that I can see, so who cares if he takes responsibility?

I'm done. Maybe I'll check back next year and see if anything has changed.

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:01 am Post

Such an amount of venting opinion deserves at least one more comment on realities than Katherine's or indeed Lee's.

Here's that reality: Today's software is complicated

It's much more so than in years past. Even (or especially) the ideas of 'correct' get more complicated -- and more varied, and indeed never may be completely closed..

Thus development becomes a loop. You get something out there that works, and then you improve it.

This is the way the more forward-looking software operations across the world do it, and not less by days, but more.

Scrivener certainly qualifies as complicated software. It has indeed, very complicated tasks.

It serves the realities of these tasks, already, very well.

The problem here is in language -- which should be our forté in these parts, no?

That language circles around the word Release.

I don't know what might satisfactorily move Scrivener better into expressing the world it lives in; that's up to Keith, as he will tell you, and his quite devoted and intelligent team.

- I could say that much complex software, such as CMS systems (which pretty much relate to Scrivener) use many point releases -- in fact on a calibrated system where the number is broken by decimal points, and each range indicates what kind of changes to expect.
= Big numbers, as 2, 3 etc, so-called breaking changes; the software works differently in part.
= Next decimal, as 3.2, it changes, adds features, doesn't break anything already there.
=And so forth.
= when feedback says a point release may not live up to its number, you get another quick release (number incremented) that does.
= this works, by the way.

- Another that I 've seen and liked actually is the wonderful Markdown composing editor Typora. It kind of uses these numbers, but just goes on and on releasing, feature by feature added, at any minor or major level. This also works, for its scale.

So. My closing would be that we should just respect Lee, Tiho, AmberV, and anyone else who works so stalwartly to bring us the Scrivener software which does work.

For writing, yes?? Regardless of what number you think it is.

Details, we can keep helping them achieve. Also, yes.

We can do that best, I would feel, thus venture, by the respect that better awareness gives.
Clive
Last edited by narrsd on Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

As
Astaff
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:41 am Post

So it's a couple more weeks, no biggie.

Kudos to the team for not caving to pressure to release 30 Aug come what may.

The list of improvements on .22 is impressive and gives a solid impression we are so close to a rock solid release.

As for question about 'consequences'. What do you want, a ceremonial flogging, firing squad and blindfolds at dawn?

Chill!

Tw
Twolane

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:38 am Post

Scribhneoir: I'm done. Maybe I'll check back next year and see if anything has changed.

I'm with Astaff on this.

Blindfolds at dawn! A healthy drawing and quartering! A ceremonial flogging? No way. It's to be a severe flogging or nothing. A day spent in La Tomatina for all of them!

Oh. Wait just a minute. I'm on the side of Astaff and L&L. Sorry for the confusion. Please excuse my enthusiasm for a good drawing and quartering.
:D
Last edited by Twolane on Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mi
Mick

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:49 am Post

It's a no-win. Release the software for sale before it's ready and people will complain that you shouldn't release such buggy software. Wait until the bugs are ironed out and that's no good either, it took too long.

Didn't Hemingway shoot himself because the new version of his preferred typewriter was delayed?

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:53 am Post

For anyone who is afraid about stability and data loss with the Beta. For many versions the Beta is stable against data loss. Just have a look at the forum posts about data loss and you will not find any. Writing with Scrivener is stable against data loss. Mostly the Compiler is the one who needs further improvements, otherwise we would have released it already.

We work hard to deliver the release sooner than later. Anyone is welcome to try and test the beta for free, but please stop writing that the Beta is not stable and make everyone afraid that they will lose their project using the Beta. As I have always said, if your work is important backing up your work is as important too, no matter whether you use an official or a beta version software.

Just because we call it Beta it does not mean that it is not stable, it means it is not feature complete.

We all from the Windows development team take responsibility for the delay together with Lee. I can assure you that we work twice as hard and please, do not discourage our efforts, just because we have not met our desired release date.

gi
gimox

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:28 pm Post

tiho_d wrote:For anyone who is afraid about stability and data loss with the Beta. For many versions the Beta is stable against data loss. Just have a look at the forum posts about data loss and you will not find any. Writing with Scrivener is stable against data loss. Mostly the Compiler is the one who needs further improvements, otherwise we would have released it already.

We work hard to deliver the release sooner than later. Anyone is welcome to try and test the beta for free, but please stop writing that the Beta is not stable and make everyone afraid that they will lose their project using the Beta. As I have always said, if your work is important backing up your work is as important too, no matter whether you use an official or a beta version software.

Just because we call it Beta it does not mean that it is not stable, it means it is not feature complete.

We all from the Windows development team take responsibility for the delay together with Lee. I can assure you that we work twice as hard and please, do not discourage our efforts, just because we have not met our desired release date.

I completely realize I'm becoming pretty much boring, but the current Beta screenplay format is nowhere near being usable for a professional enviroment. I know it's bottom-level priority to fix the screenplay part of scrivener, but I needed to point out that even the RC2 shouldn't be used for any serious project.

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:00 pm Post

You are correct, we are tracing the text sizing issues in Scriptwriting mode, and it is not bottom level priority. It is one of the reasons why the official release was postponed.

gi
gimox

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:52 pm Post

tiho_d wrote:You are correct, we are tracing the text sizing issues in Scriptwriting mode, and it is not bottom level priority. It is one of the reasons why the Beta was postponed.

I'm extremely glad the problem has been taken seriously, thank you so much for the update.