Continued problem with bullets in 2.9.0.21

sc
schoolmann
Platform: Windows

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:05 pm Post

I am still having a problem with bullets in the most recent release candidate version. I am using Scrivener Beta 2.9.0.21 on Windows 10 Home Edition, 64 bit.

Basically, once I start a bulleted list, I can't get out of it. Whether I try to backspace or use the drop-down list to choose "no bullet," it continues to bullet lines below the list, slightly to the left of the first row of bullets. Moreover, when I click away from that document and then click back, the unbulleted lines above the list are now bulleted. A couple of screenshots will illustrate:

Before clicking away:
before clicking away.png
before clicking away.png (42.38 KiB) Viewed 907 times

After clicking away and clicking back:
before clicking away.png
before clicking away.png (42.38 KiB) Viewed 907 times

These screenshots were created with 2.9.0.20, but I'm experiencing the same problem with the release candidate I just downloaded.
Attachments
after clicking away.png
after clicking away.png (45.36 KiB) Viewed 907 times

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:34 pm Post

...have you tried just hitting an extra return, after the last item you want bulleted?

Bullets in Scrivener do work a little differently than some other editors, it's true. Usually though this part is consistent.

Good fortune :kiteemoji:

br
brinkbart

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:42 pm Post

:(

narrsd

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:47 pm Post

Here's from a prior note describing how bullets work, apart from the hit-return-twice-to-leave-bulleting above, which again, is normal for bullet features in other software.

Some of these following are unusual, but as stated, they do work, and work nicely:

narrsd wrote:Don't know if I missed this earlier or if it's not made clear in the release notes, but Lists now appear to really work.

In their own inimitable Scrivener fashion, of course, but it's easily learned

1. Indents (by tab) don't automatically change the bullet/label type,
  2. but...once you set the bullet/label type for an indent, it consistently sticks, as you (shift-tab) back out!
  3. Thus you can compose any look of list you like
  4. I like it.
  5. And don't mind at all doing it again for another list
  6. besides that you can just copy a model, write over its texts, so even complex constructions do duplicate
  7. did I adequately say that I like it??
  8. and no where near as tricky as this bb-sortof-code on the forum...
  9. Thanks for the thoughtful design, Tiiho and Lee!

br
brinkbart

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:25 pm Post

Sorry, but that list is unhelpful in the worst way.

Scrivener does (well, it should) work like other word processors. In fact, the very first item in your list is wrong; Scrivener does, in fact, change the bullet type when you tab to indent. Also, I'm not copying an old list every time I want to make a new list.

And hitting backspace to end a bulleted list is how Scrivener has always worked for me (haven't done the same check OP has done on 20 and 21). But there's no excuse for the bullet button not removing a bullet from the current line.

narrsd

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:09 pm Post

brinkbart wrote:In fact, the very first item in your list is wrong

Is it. Have a look here, @bt:

It _will_ change style on indents -- but only after you've actually chosen a style for that indent.

That's what my list says.
And how Scrivener acts, at Beta 21, at least here.
Win10 latest everything.
I still haven't figured out why you thought a crotchety-face was an explicit first reply...

br
brinkbart

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:41 pm Post

Bullets change. This original post was about bullets. I didn't consider numbers. I'll concede. But......... bullets absolutely do change with tab.

narrsd

Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:32 am Post

Well, absolutely??

But cheers...

And sorry, would be clearer if I'd raised the magnification or font size a bit.

Or flipped the square and closed dot for third and fourth levels.

sc
schoolmann

Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:30 pm Post

narrsd wrote:...have you tried just hitting an extra return, after the last item you want bulleted?

Yes. I get the same result whether I hit an extra return, hit backspace, or choose "None" from the drop down list.

Incidentally, this is something that works fine on my 1.9.9 release (there were other issues which have been corrected, but it wasn't trying to extend a list beyond where I wanted it to go).

sc
schoolmann

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:52 pm Post

Well, I got rid of the bullet problem by hitting the "default" button in Options. So now it seems to be working as expected.

It does seem a bit weird that with a fresh install in a new location, there was a problem that had somehow held over from previous installations. It seems that previous uninstalls were less than clean. Don't know if it has to do with me having Scrivener 1.9.9 elsewhere. (Do they share a common folder in the "App Data" directory?)

There is one final problem--an error message I'm getting on startup. I'll put it here in case it's related to the continuation of the bullet problem prior to going back to defaults. For reference, I had installed previous betas in a folder in my "My Documents" folder. Beta 22 I installed to the default location. It's telling me that I'm running it from a different location than it thinks I have it installed in. (The location it thinks I have it installed in no longer exists.)
Scrivener Error installed location.png
Scrivener Error installed location.png (16.19 KiB) Viewed 757 times

Sh
Shipleyaust
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:56 pm Post

Not sure if this has been reported elsewhere yet as I have been away from the forum for a while. Bullets in general work fine on R21/22 for me, The problem I have is when I am in the middle of a bulleted list and want to add a new bullet above the current one, I position the cursor at the beginning of the text and hit Enter and nothing happens. If I am in the middle of the text, it produces a new bullet below and breaks the text where you would expect it to. And if I am at the end of the text and hit Enter, it creates a new bullet below properly and as expected. But if I am on the first line, I do not have that work around, and have to either move the cursor over to the right one character, then hit Enter and adjust text accordingly, or go to a blank line above and hit the icon to add a new bullet. But if I had adjusted the formatting below, then the new bullet is of different formatting (indent, hang, etc.)

Therefore, the way it should work is if I am at a bullet at beginning of text, that it creates and inserts a new blank bulleted line.

Scribblette

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:44 pm Post

Can confirm that, can't hit enter to create a new bullet 'before' a bullet; I have to start writing text and then hit enter to split the bullet.

Also a bug I hate reproducing:
You cannot paste into an existing bullet. If you paste text anywhere inside a bullet, it creates a new bullet instead. Even if you paste into an empty bullet.
Hitting undo after copy pasting inside a bullet will often mess up the styles for that list as well (it'll go back to solid bullet instead of hollow bullet, for example).

Tr
Tridens92

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:03 pm Post

I've also listed other problems with lists and bullets that continue with RC2 / Beta 22 here:

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=58364&p=297051&hilit=lists#p297051