[LH543] Screenplay formatting still broken??

Ji
JimRac
Posts: 1545
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:06 pm
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:04 pm Post

Tiho,

I ran QTDIAG on my laptop and the results are puzzling, to say the least..

=> Physical DPI: 157.825,157.655 Logical DPI: 96,96 Subpixel_None

This is for a 1920 x 1080 14" monitor set at 100% scaling.

QT's physical DPI of 157 is correct for my monitor. But how it then calculates a logical DPI of 96 is the puzzling part.

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

si
simeva
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:30 pm
Platform: Windows
Location: Sheffield

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:53 pm Post

This is what I get:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (37.43 KiB) Viewed 813 times

What am I doing wrong?

Ji
JimRac
Posts: 1545
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:06 pm
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:33 pm Post

If you’re using 64 bit Scriv, try CD to Program Files, not Program Files (x86).
I’m just a customer.

si
simeva
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:30 pm
Platform: Windows
Location: Sheffield

Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:18 pm Post

Brilliant! Thank you.
So it reports Physical DPI = 81.xxxx, 81.xxxx, and Logical DPI = 120, 120.
So, back to the original problem (and sorry for leading this thread off into a discussion of my computer)..

1. What exactly is the threshold between a High and a Non-High DPI? And is it physical or logical DPI we are talking about?

tiho_d wrote:The only solution for Beta 36 is to use a HighDPI monitor, but we hope to provide a working solution for non-HighDPI monitors in the following versions too. Most likely you will have to choose the monitor DPI type, if automatic detection does not work. Most likely moving a project window between High to Non-High DPI monitors will cause problems, but at least the single monitor mode case will be working as expected,

2. And am I right to understand this means that the current Beta will not work properly on Non-High DPI monitors ?

User avatar
tiho_d
Posts: 1150
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:14 pm
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:42 pm Post

We are working on improving this in the next Beta. Please, stay with us for further updates.

wi
winston_wolf
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:27 am
Platform: Windows

Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:55 pm Post

simeva wrote:Thanks for the explanation, Tiho, but...
Is there anything I can do about it? This is a non-trivial problem for screen-writing, a show-stopper. If there is nothing I can do about it, then I can't use Scrivener 3.

Sorry I'm going off-track and just genuinely being curious here, I assume you (&a couple of others on this topic) write screenplays in some professional capacities, surely you're currently using other screenwriting softwares. Any particular reason why you want to move to Scrivener? Same reason why people went from Word to Scrivener for novel-writing?

Disclaimer: I have both Scrivener 1.9 (patiently waiting for 3.0) and a screenwriting software.

RL
RLeal
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:03 pm
Platform: Windows

Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:41 pm Post

winston_wolf wrote:Sorry I'm going off-track and just genuinely being curious here, I assume you (&a couple of others on this topic) write screenplays in some professional capacities, surely you're currently using other screenwriting softwares. Any particular reason why you want to move to Scrivener? Same reason why people went from Word to Scrivener for novel-writing?

Disclaimer: I have both Scrivener 1.9 (patiently waiting for 3.0) and a screenwriting software.


Speaking only for myself here, but Scrivener is the only option for people who write non-linearly. It allows you to outline, do a treatment and write the script all in the same project. You can split your story in acts or any structure you desire and write it in any sequence you want without using several files.

si
simeva
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:30 pm
Platform: Windows
Location: Sheffield

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:58 pm Post

winston_wolf wrote:Any particular reason why you want to move to Scrivener?
I've been using Scrivener for ten years or so, for screenplays, short stories, a novel and other writing projects. I do use another screenwriting software, but only to add Mores & Continueds.
RLeal wrote:Scrivener is the only option for people who write non-linearly.
Quite so. It also allows you to organise research material, and to keep multiple episodes of a series together.

I have contributed to previous betas, but because of these display issues I have not even been able to view any screenplay projects yet with this one. I'm intrigued to know what it's like, but my workflow is unaffected because Scrivener 1.9 is still the same masterful tool it always was.

tiho_d wrote:We are working on improving this in the next Beta. Please, stay with us for further updates.
I'd still like to know what is the threshold between a High and a Non-High DPI. I've never heard of this distinction before.

wi
winston_wolf
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:27 am
Platform: Windows

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:07 pm Post

Thank you, Simeva & RLeal

pc
pcook
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:37 am
Platform: Windows

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:29 am Post

YEEEES - screenplay formating apears to be working in B37. I could cry tears of joy, HUGE thans to the tireless devs getting this one across the line.

I have noticed one quirk. when you are typing some action then hit enter and tab to go into character, scrivener adds an extra line above the characters name which it shouldnt do. Not sure if I should make a seperate post as this is a seperate bug?

Other than that again, well done

User avatar
tiho_d
Posts: 1150
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:14 pm
Platform: Linux + Windows

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:43 am Post

Glad it works, pcook!
The extra line above "Character" is most likely the default top paragraph margin(Space Before) for that element. The spacing is fixed 12pt, with a 12pt "Space Before" i.e. a line. These are different for each Script scheme(Screenplay, BBC Radio Scene, Stage Play, etc.).

pc
pcook
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:37 am
Platform: Windows

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:09 am Post

wow out with 37 and in with 38 :-)

OK not sure what you mean but I can tell you the extra line is not meant to be there. Its not a spacing thing, its a whole extra line. When in screenplay mode, type a line of action. then if you hit enter twice it will bring up the menu for you to choose (scene Heading, Action, Character etc) choose character and it will place the cursor correctly with correct spacing and no extra line above. But doing it this way is insanely laborious.

Thats why the fast way to go from a line of action to character dialog is hitting enter and then hitting tab. it used to work fine but now it places a whole extra line above your character. try it and you will see.

Can anyone else try this and confirm what Im seeing (or make sense of what Im trying to explain)

pc
pcook
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:37 am
Platform: Windows

Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:33 am Post

2020-02-12.png
2020-02-12.png (58.79 KiB) Viewed 530 times

Ar
Arronius
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:07 pm
Platform: Windows

Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:29 pm Post

I also have this same issue in the newest betas. Hitting tab to move from an ACTION element to a CHARACTER element adds an extra line break and THEN moves you to the character. Likewise for hitting tab in a DIALOGUE element to move to a PARENTHETICAL element.
It's as though hitting tab now executes a [enter, tab] command. It's happening to my current project and I can confirm it also happens when I open a new test project and select the screenplay template.
Should probably be a new bug. I actually came here looking to see if anyone else had posted about it yet and got sucked into reading this thread by happenstance haha.
Tab_bug.JPG
Tab_bug.JPG (65.6 KiB) Viewed 501 times

Ar
Arronius
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:07 pm
Platform: Windows

Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:41 pm Post

And to your point about formatting, I agree with Simeva, you can just manage your workflow to polish it off in another program. I love Scrivener for the organizational, outlining, tagging, etc. features, when I am doing the bulk of my writing. But when I'm done (or when I want to see how long a sequence "really" is), I just compile to .rtf and then import the .rtf into Fade In. I agree that it'd be nice if we could have it all in one program, but that's unlikely to happen, as programs like Fade In are also always advancing with screenplay-specific features and they are already ahead. At the same time, Scrivener is miles ahead of other software I've tried with powerful organizational features. (BTW I also use Word for my day job. Nothing wrong with having multiple tools in your utility belt.)