Here is the case:
I write “I wrote this in Scrivener.”
I sync with external folder.
I open the synced rtf file in Word.
I edit in Word. I add the text “I added this text in Word.”
I sync external folder again (the Word edit comes to scrivener)
I close scrivener and open ProWritingAid.
In ProWritingAid I open the Scrivener file.
I edit the file in ProWritingAid. I add the text “I wrote this in ProWritingAid”
Save ProWritingAid and Close.
I open Scrivener again, and the text “I wrote this in ProWritingAid” is there. The file reads:
Code: Select all
“I wrote this in Scrivener. I added this text in Word. I wrote this in ProWritingAid.”
Without touching the document, I sync external folder, but nothing appears to happen (super fast sync).
I open the rtf file in word, and the text “I wrote this in ProWritingAid” is missing. The file reads:
Code: Select all
“I wrote this in Scrivener. I added this text in Word.”
At this point, my guess is that when ProWritingAid edits the file, it doesn’t mark the file as edited, and the “sync with external folder” doesn’t know it has to sync it. So eaven though I deliberately did the steps to have all files in the latest version, and I should assume the rtf file is up to date, it’s not.
Then I edit the rtf file in Word. It looks like this:
“I wrote this in Scrivener. I added this text in Word. And I added this text after the ProWritingAid addition didn’t sync.”
I save and return to scrivener, where I sync with external folder again. The rtf file overites the “I wrote this in ProWritingAid” file with the one I just edited in word; the “I wrote this in ProWritingAid” is lost.
The snapshot does save the previous file, so if you realize that that happened, you can do something, but there is no warning of file conflicts of any kind, so it’s super easy to not realize when this happens.