[LH3575] Space between paragraphs

an
annajo5
Platform: Windows

Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:13 pm Post

I don't know if I am doing something wrong, but I can't get the line spacing right. I want 1.5 spacing throughout the text, and no extra space between paragraphs. When I try to do that it still looks like this:
Radavstånd.png
Radavstånd.png (52.87 KiB) Viewed 4619 times

The text within each paragraph looks as I want it, but there seems to be double spacing between paragraphs.

The options for spacing looks like this, both if I click the spacing in the format toobar, and if I go to options/editing/formatting:

space.png
space.png (25.35 KiB) Viewed 4619 times

I would like to create a default for "No style", but can't seem to get it right...

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:34 pm Post

The line spacing is having issues and we plan on fixing it in the next release. Sorry about that!

an
annajo5

Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:25 pm Post

Thank you!

br
brookter
Platform: Mac

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:30 am Post

Hi...

I'm only mentioning this because the report says that it would be fixed in the next release (which was a couple of released ago. (I'm on B15).

So if the fix hasn't been included, please ignore!

The problem is still occurring (funnily enough with exactly the same settings as the original poster). Here's a screenshot of the Mac and Windows versions side by side for the same document (from the Tutorial), same font etc etc.

Screenshot 2019-03-25 08.22.50.jpg
Screenshot 2019-03-25 08.22.50.jpg (346.47 KiB) Viewed 1837 times

Again, ignore if the fix hasn't been implemented yet, otherwise please treat as a report of a bug. Let me know if you need any more details.

Thanks for all the hard work -- it's looking very good.

krastev

Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:49 pm Post

Is this fixed? Because I'm still experiencing it on v16
Krastev
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.16.0
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

tiho_d

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:30 pm Post

My message says “we plan”. It is still not fixed unfortunately. Sorry about that guys.

th
thePhilosoraptor

Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:51 pm Post

Updating thread title with ticket number
Bryan Bender

krastev

Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:37 pm Post

Beta 19... still not fixed. :?
Krastev
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Sc
Scribhneoir

Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:33 pm Post

I, too, was hoping that this bug would finally have made its way to the top of the to-do list and been resolved in Beta 19 . I know it's minor in the scheme of things, but it's a showstopper for me nonetheless, because I can't stand looking at all those extra lines between paragraphs. Will it be fixed by the release date?

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:15 am Post

Scribhneoir wrote:I, too, was hoping that this bug would finally have made its way to the top of the to-do list and been resolved in Beta 19 . I know it's minor in the scheme of things, but it's a showstopper for me nonetheless, because I can't stand looking at all those extra lines between paragraphs. Will it be fixed by the release date?

I am not an L&L employee. Having said that, I would be surprised if it were fixed by the release date because:

1) They still have a lot of work to do on items that affect saved documents or the final compiled output.
2) This bug, annoying as it is, is purely cosmetic. That is, it ONLY affects how the text is displayed in the editor in the Windows version. If you take the same project and display it on Mac or iOS you do not see the issue and there is no effect on the saved project, nor on a compiled project.
3) The Scrivener editor is not WYSIWYG and was never promised to be. That's the whole point of the Compile process -- to decouple what you see on the screen from what gets placed in the final output.

Based on those factors, plus my general experience in the IT and software industry, I would be very very surprised if the release version quashes all known bugs. My guess is that they are going to triage all the ones that they know about that affect the ability to produce clean copy (or that alters the project files in ways the other platforms do not -- e.g., list and table formatting) and then if they still have time, tackle the cosmetic bugs based on difficulty. I would not be surprised to see a few rapid points releases in the first couple of months after 3.0 releases, too.

Again, this is in no way an official statement, just an educated guess.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

Sc
Scribhneoir

Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:58 am Post

devinganger wrote:3) The Scrivener editor is not WYSIWYG and was never promised to be. That's the whole point of the Compile process -- to decouple what you see on the screen from what gets placed in the final output.

There's a difference between non-WYSIWYG and the bug that creates phantom lines in the editor. It's the editor I'm looking at when I write, not the final compiled version, so quit implying that I'm missing the point. This is a long known bug that annoys me enough to keep me out of the beta (or the release version) until it's fixed. YMMV.

Any L&L person want to weigh in on the chances of this being fixed by August 30?

krastev

Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:48 pm Post

Scribhneoir wrote: This is a long known bug that annoys me enough to keep me out of the beta (or the release version) until it's fixed. YMMV.

Any L&L person want to weigh in on the chances of this being fixed by August 30?

Same here.
Having the text shown in chunks is mega distracting.
Krastev
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:43 pm Post

Scribhneoir wrote:
devinganger wrote:3) The Scrivener editor is not WYSIWYG and was never promised to be. That's the whole point of the Compile process -- to decouple what you see on the screen from what gets placed in the final output.

There's a difference between non-WYSIWYG and the bug that creates phantom lines in the editor. It's the editor I'm looking at when I write, not the final compiled version, so quit implying that I'm missing the point

I was not intending to imply that, I apologize. Because of what I used to do for work, I got into the habit of writing for the additional people who may be following along the thread, not just for the OP, and some of those other readers may not fully realize that point or what the implications are.

I've been using the betas myself, I see the exact same thing on my screen, and I had to satisfy myself that my project was not being altered by comparing it on my Mac and Windows and round-tripping it a couple of times. It was mildly annoying until I got used to it, but it provides no *technical* impediment for using the betas. Obviously, one person's mild annoyance is another's turbo distraction, but most people are likely to be able to adjust to it in a short time. If that is not you, I am very sorry.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

Sc
Scribhneoir

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:56 pm Post

So... Beta 20 was released today. I didn't see LH3575 listed in the bug fixes, but I downloaded the new beta anyway, expecting to do no more than look at the editor, shudder, and close it up again.

Imagine my delight when I opened it up and discovered the phantom lines between paragraphs are gone. Yay!

tiho_d

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:43 pm Post

Enjoy! ;-)