[LH2987] - menu appears on wrong screen when using extended displays

ga
galacticpresident
Platform: Windows

Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:18 pm Post

I have a large screen set above my laptop screen, and if I shift the 2.9.0.8 beta for windows up to that screen, the menus when selected appear on the screen below ( the built in laptop display ), even though the application itself is maximised on a completely different display. If instead of maximising the application on this other display, I leave the application in some other state on that display ( not minimised but not full screen either ), the problem still persists. If i stretch the application window horizontally so that it spans both screens, the problem also still persists.

Note: this is using Win10 x64 with nVidia 1080 GPU

ALSO NOTE: right click menus & pop up windows do the same thing.

th
thePhilosoraptor

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:17 pm Post

Thanks. This has been filed.
Bryan Bender

ga
galacticpresident

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:35 am Post

Please note: -- I just discovered the same thing happens to tool tips, when the window is shifted to a different screen, the tool tip will appear back on the laptop display.

rg
rgletter
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:40 pm Post

I use multiple screens too. I just tried to recreate your problem with no luck. Moving the program to another screen and accessing menus and dialogue boxes acts as expected. I would suggest it has something to do with your environment - setup. For those things that require browser access like "Help->Video Tutorials", the results will show up in your browser on the default machine, unless you have the default browser already active on another screen. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:18 pm Post

galacticpresident wrote:I have a large screen set above my laptop screen [...] If i stretch the application window horizontally so that it spans both screens, the problem also still persists.

rgletter wrote:I use multiple screens too.

Are you both using the screens stacked one above the other, or are they side by side? This seems to be a bug in the Qt framework, possibly particular to the vertical setup like that, but the comment about stretching the window horizontally has me second-guessing my understanding of your monitor arrangement.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

ga
galacticpresident

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:12 pm Post

rgletter wrote:I use multiple screens too. I just tried to recreate your problem with no luck. Moving the program to another screen and accessing menus and dialogue boxes acts as expected. I would suggest it has something to do with your environment - setup. For those things that require browser access like "Help->Video Tutorials", the results will show up in your browser on the default machine, unless you have the default browser already active on another screen. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

This doesn't occur with any other applications, only scrivener, so it's extremely unlikely to be an environmental issue.

ga
galacticpresident

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:20 pm Post

MimeticMouton wrote:
galacticpresident wrote:I have a large screen set above my laptop screen [...] If i stretch the application window horizontally so that it spans both screens, the problem also still persists.

rgletter wrote:I use multiple screens too.

Are you both using the screens stacked one above the other, or are they side by side? This seems to be a bug in the Qt framework, possibly particular to the vertical setup like that, but the comment about stretching the window horizontally has me second-guessing my understanding of your monitor arrangement.

It happened on the screen above, and when I moved a quick reference window to the RHS screen, it happened from there too