Scrivener 3 for Windows but when?

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:53 pm Post

You can also create a fresh interactive tutorial and search for anything marked with the "Missing Feature" character style (it looks like a light red highlight).
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

rg
rgletter
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:35 pm Post

devinganger wrote:
rgletter wrote:
rdale wrote:Considering that they haven't finished implementing the compile features, I think that's overly optimistic. Once it's feature-complete, I wouldn't expect fewer than 3 beta releases as bugs in the compile process are revealed through real-world testing.

What feature(s) don't work in Compile? What I've tested seems to work so far.

Does nobody read release notes anymore? They don't specify which exact pieces aren't wired up yet, but they do specifically call it out: From http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=242064#p242064 :

Known Issues
    We are still implementing features and ironing out bugs, so you should expect to find things that aren't working quite as intended. A few issues to be aware of in the current 2.9.0.8 beta:

The editor zoom is applying separately to single text documents and Scrivenings mode, although the footer will remain displaying the last set zoom.
    Rearranging custom metadata fields in Project Settings when some are set to display as columns in the Outliner can affect which columns are shown.
    Page View is only partially implemented and not recommended for use. Documents that are loaded in Page View continue to load with a Page-View appearance in Wrap to Editor mode unless they are loaded in the editor when toggling off Page View. (To fix this for a document, toggle View > Text Editing > Page View back on and then off again while the document is open in the focussed editor.)
    A writing-direction flag appears on the cursor within any paragraph containing auto-corrected characters. (This is a bug in the Qt upgrade's increased bi-directional support for which we have not yet found a workaround.)
    Titles are not editable in the editor header while in Scrivenings mode. They can however be updated in the inspector, binder, or, if View > Text Editing > Show Titles in Scrivenings is enabled, directly in the editor and the change will be reflected in the header.
    "View page source" on imported webpages is not working with the current Qt version.
    Though we have the interface set up for the new compiler, it is not yet fully functional.
    Project templates have not yet been updated for 3.0, so are not taking advantage of new features and may have some outdated content.

Thanks devinganger, I missed that in reviewing the notes.

devinganger

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:31 am Post

rgletter wrote:Thanks devinganger, I missed that in reviewing the notes.

Apologies, my reply was needlessly snappy.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

bo
bobavel
Platform: Windows

Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:52 pm Post

latinmusePTY wrote:Just curious, I have been waiting for the new Windows version upgrade but I do not see it any nearer...

Please understand that I would love to test Scrivener for windows. Please understand that you have not released a beta version since 2017. Please understand that beta releases are made for the express purpose of giving testers the opportunity to find bugs in the software, report the same bugs, you fix the bugs, and then you release a new beta version of the software. At least that's how we do it in the states. I refuse to test antiques because doing so is a waste of my time. When will you Brits compile and release a new beta version with a document describing known bugs. :?: I think this is a great idea. :idea: Would you please comment on this post so I can get an idea of where you are at :?: In other words I am asking for a status update as well as a release of beta 9. Please understand that perfection only comes in Heaven. I am very understanding about the fact that bugs are the norm for ANY software. I have been an IT professional for four decades and I think I understand how the process should work. Thank you for considering this note. I eagerly await your reply. Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill said, "Give us the tools and we will do the job". That is all that I can ask also. He asked and we supplied. I am giving you the same ask and am awaiting your reply.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:32 pm Post

You are mistaken. The most recent beta was released just a few weeks ago.

While the pinned "announcement" post for beta releases is dated 2017, it is regularly updated and always includes both a link to the most recent beta version, and notes discussing the current status of bugs and feature enhancements.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

EM
EMPisek

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:01 am Post

bobavel wrote:
latinmusePTY wrote:Just curious, I have been waiting for the new Windows version upgrade but I do not see it any nearer...

Please understand that I would love to test Scrivener for windows. Please understand that you have not released a beta version since 2017.
At least that's how we do it in the states. I refuse to test antiques because doing so is a waste of my time.
When will you Brits compile and release a new beta version with a document describing known bugs. :?: I have been an IT professional for four decades and I think I understand how the process should work.

Your arrogance is showing on American portrayal. I can say this for I'm not British. Obviously reading Beta notes, what version has been released and notes of latest bugs is TL: DR of your stature. Sorry we can't help you there. Please see an optometrist for your eyesight and maybe a refresher course on being an IT. These Brits as you say, are hard working on their product. Your arrogance is showing. You give Americans who work in IT a bad rep with that attitude.
:arrow: I'm not just a tester,.. I'm a user :!:

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:58 am Post

Now now, there is no reason to flame them just because they made a mistake and then got a little heated about it.

By the way, the Windows developers are Australian and Bulgarian, and those keeping reports tested, wrangled and retested are in the US. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

pc
pcgeekesq

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:20 pm Post

EMPisek wrote:Please understand that I would love to test Scrivener for windows. Please understand that you have not released a beta version since 2017.

You're being fooled by the way they're posting the notices of new betas.
The notification of the release is the last post in the "Scrivener 3.0 Beta 8 (Download Links & Change List)" thread, and the release notes are the first post.
Weird, but you get used to it.

Beta 8, version 2.9.0.8, was released on August 1, 2018.

EM
EMPisek

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:30 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Now now, there is no reason to flame them just because they made a mistake and then got a little heated about it.

By the way, the Windows developers are Australian and Bulgarian, and those keeping reports tested, wrangled and retested are in the US. :)

My apologizes I did not mean to offend any of the Australian's or Bulgarian's either with my reply to the comment.
:arrow: I'm not just a tester,.. I'm a user :!:

je
jenniferespinoza5

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:16 pm Post

If you're a new user of Scrivener for Windows, or are thinking about buying it, you may be wondering why Scrivener for Windows is on version 1 whereas our macOS version is on version 3. Don't worry—for the most part, it's just a number.

Scrivener for macOS and Scrivener for Windows are separate development efforts with different developers and code bases. Scrivener for macOS was released several years before our Windows developers came on board to create the Windows version. As a result, Scrivener 1 for Windows was released a year after Scrivener 2 for macOS.

In November 2017, our Mac team released Scrivener 3 for macOS, a major update containing many refinements and new features. We’re still hard at work on our next major version of Scrivener for Windows, which will bring our Windows version into line with the latest Mac version. To avoid confusion in the future, we have decided to skip a number and jump from version 1 to version 3 for our first major Windows update.

The great news is that if you buy Scrivener 1 for Windows now, you’ll get a free update to version 3 when it’s available. (Existing users of Scrivener 1 will be able to purchase Scrivener 3 for the discounted price of $25 when the time comes.)

From literatureandlatte topic. Hope it helps.

ma
maryburt1

Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:59 am Post

Hi I see there is a book for Scrivener 3 Mac? Will there be a book also for Windows 3 Scrivener? It would be very helpful for us newbies.
Also need a template for non-fiction books?

rdale

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:05 pm Post

maryburt1 wrote:Hi I see there is a book for Scrivener 3 Mac? Will there be a book also for Windows 3 Scrivener? It would be very helpful for us newbies.
Also need a template for non-fiction books?

I don't think Lit & Latte put out books on their own, those are usually written and published by other folks, and those people tend to write one book and make note of where the Mac version differs from Windows. Those differences will be very slight in the future, once version 3 for Windows is out, though there will be slight differences due to what Macs provide to developers vs. what the Windows team has to license or re-invent from scratch, or just the differences between the two types of computers.

rdale wrote:Edit: I did see that on this page (https://www.literatureandlatte.com/lear ... port/books), the first (e-) book says it'll be updated for Scrivener 3 for Windows once it's released, so you could get a jump on what to look forward to, and then get a newer copy that covers Windows v3 specifics once that's available.

But you will always have a very detailed manual (upon release--the Betas have outdated manuals) accessible from the Help menu and from the templates chooser.

And speaking of Templates...

ScrivTemplates-nonfic.JPG
ScrivTemplates-nonfic.JPG (55.56 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

ma
maynard
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:26 pm Post

Hey, I hate to be that guy but I stupidly upgraded to scriv 3 on my macbook pro but I also have a Win 10 machine running scriv 1 and I really need file comparability. I'm in the middle of a big project and it would really help if I could move files back and forth. Is scriv 3 beta on win stable or am I screwed?

th
thePhilosoraptor

Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:42 pm Post

maynard wrote:Hey, I hate to be that guy but I stupidly upgraded to scriv 3 on my macbook pro but I also have a Win 10 machine running scriv 1 and I really need file comparability. I'm in the middle of a big project and it would really help if I could move files back and forth. Is scriv 3 beta on win stable or am I screwed?

Scrivener 3 on Mac has the option to Export "As Scrivener 2". This allows it to read and edited in the current Windows version (1). We do not suggest using the beta for anything that you wish to keep as it is still very much a beta.

Hope this helps you.
Bryan Bender

wa
wanpi17

Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:29 pm Post

Any status updates?