Scrivener 3 for Windows but when?

latinmusePTY
Platform: Windows

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:30 pm Post

Just curious, I have been waiting for the new Windows version upgrade but I do not see it any nearer...
http://lordofthings.wordpress.com/
Twitter: @lordofscripts

br
brookter
Platform: Mac

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:35 pm Post

It's in very early beta. It will be some time yet.

rg
rgletter
Platform: Win + iOS

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:22 pm Post

This is just a guess since I'm not on the development team. I'm figuring the release will be between May-Aug of this year. Better idea after April beta release. There are many little bugs that need to be taken out and a few major features to be completed. Software development is complicated. :lol:

xiamenese

Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:35 pm Post

If I remember rightly, the Mac v. 3 (private) beta testing began in January or February last year, when it was already feature complete; it was finally launched commercially in November or December. So, given the current state of the Windows beta, with Scrivenings editing, compiling, web-page display and other crucial elements not yet implemented, I wouldn't hold my breath for it becoming fully available until late in the year.

But then, I'm just a Mac user (though I do test the Windows version using CrossOver/Wine), so what do I know.

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.2, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

ng
nglynn
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:50 pm Post

Have there been any updates on this? I have used this cross-platform for some time now, and I really need to keep using it that way but the Mac is starting to say it isn't optimized and needs updating...

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:57 pm Post

nglynn wrote:Have there been any updates on this? I have used this cross-platform for some time now, and I really need to keep using it that way but the Mac is starting to say it isn't optimized and needs updating...

Follow this post for infrequent updates on the progress of Scrivener 3 for Windows:
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=40621

Note that as far as I can tell, Lit & Latt do not set deadlines, or even guess at the month/time of year a major upgrade like this will be released. It's a hard-learned lesson from the development hell of Scrivener for iOS that they are poor prognosticators. The updates at the link above, and activity in the forum it's a part of, will give you as much of a sense of the eventual release date as you're likely to get.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

DavidR

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:20 pm Post

rdale wrote:Note that as far as I can tell, Lit & Latt do not set deadlines, or even guess at the month/time of year a major upgrade like this will be released. It's a hard-learned lesson from the development hell of Scrivener for iOS that they are poor prognosticators. The updates at the link above, and activity in the forum it's a part of, will give you as much of a sense of the eventual release date as you're likely to get.

In fact, the only software companies that are good at prognosticating when an update will be released are those who announce a firm release date, release the software on that date--and then spend months providing "updates" to swat all the bugs that, naturally, were still in it. It's hard, but I'd rather wait the indeterminate amount of time it takes for them to get it right.
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

mh
mhtritter

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:23 pm Post

I've downloaded the 3.0 beta, and using it so that I can be familiar with the new layout. The Beta reminds me that it will expire after 7/31/18. I've been informed in the Beta notes that files created in 3.0 aren't compatible with previous versions. I
had assumed that 3.0 would be available by the expiration date, but now I'm thinking that won't be the case. What about the work that I am generating? Compile to Word just before the expiration date, then Import back into 1.0 and keep working until 3.0 comes out for real (and then reopen in 3.0)? Is that the best and expected approach?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:06 pm Post

Have there been any updates on this? I have used this cross-platform for some time now, and I really need to keep using it that way but the Mac is starting to say it isn’t optimized and needs updating…

It is safe to ignore that message for now. If you read the fine print, you’ll see that it is mainly informing you that at some point in the future, if you continue to upgrade macOS to the latest version, your 32-bit software will stop working. That will probaby be over a year from now, when 10.15 is released.

If one requires 32-bit programs then I would strongly consider not upgrading macOS past the point where it can run them, until they are ready to do so. Generally speaking you’ll only be missing out on a few cosmetic updates, and a whole heap of bugs :mrgreen: anyway. Same deal as when they stopped supporting Rosetta, to my mind; I held on to 10.6 for a long time, until all software I was using was past the PowerPC dependency phase.

I had assumed that 3.0 would be available by the expiration date, but now I’m thinking that won’t be the case. What about the work that I am generating?

As for periodic expirations: those are just there to ensure old beta versions are completely out of circulation and people aren’t continually reporting old bugs. We release an updated version with a new timer whenever it is necessary to do so.

It is highly unlikely there will be a project format upgrade during the beta, if that is what you mean. That format you are using with it was established years ago at this point, initially internally for Mac alpha tests. But if we have to update it for some reason, we aren’t going to cut you off of loading your existing projects!

Thanks for participating in the beta!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

fw
fwrunner2018

Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:07 pm Post

rgletter wrote:This is just a guess since I'm not on the development team. I'm figuring the release will be between May-Aug of this year. Better idea after April beta release. There are many little bugs that need to be taken out and a few major features to be completed. Software development is complicated. :lol:

Judging by the number of bugs still being reported as of 2018-07-25, I seriously doubt that release will be anytime before Sept, but my gut is telling me that it won't be long before xmas.

That's all OK for me, as I don't even have a plot for my first novel yet. I am playing with this beta just to keep my thoughts organized, and trying to do the best I can as a beta tester...

rg
rgletter

Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:26 pm Post

My take: consider the next iteration to have all the big bugs updated (Styles, Templates, Compile). That leaves two beta's before final release (final clean-up and then final test). Figure around a Dec release. Be aware there will be bugs in the final release, but they will be minor and rapidly fixed.

Once released, we can only hope for a "dark-mode" feature to follow in 3.X.

An
AnimusAstralis

Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:39 pm Post

Considering troubled history of Scrivener v1 development, I wouldn't expect v3 earlier than next year. L&L's development is extremely slow, yet they have no desire to hire more people to speed it up a little.

Sanguinius

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:30 pm Post

AnimusAstralis wrote:Considering troubled history of Scrivener v1 development, I wouldn't expect v3 earlier than next year. L&L's development is extremely slow, yet they have no desire to hire more people to speed it up a little.

Hiring more people doesn't automatically equal a faster development time.

kewms

Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:51 am Post

Sanguinius wrote:
AnimusAstralis wrote:Considering troubled history of Scrivener v1 development, I wouldn't expect v3 earlier than next year. L&L's development is extremely slow, yet they have no desire to hire more people to speed it up a little.

Indeed. The "troubled history" of iOS Scrivener development included multiple attempts to hire people that didn't work out as hoped.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

An
AnimusAstralis

Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:40 pm Post

kewms wrote:
Sanguinius wrote:

Indeed. The "troubled history" of iOS Scrivener development included multiple attempts to hire people that didn't work out as hoped.

Katherine

I guess it's a management problem then. Please, don't get me wrong. Do I love Scrivener? Yes, it's essential for my everyday work, as well as two other particular pieces of software. Do I want Scrivener's development to be more vibrant? Yes, certainly. Those two pieces of software got two or three new major releases since 2011, they got lots of new features and at this background Scrivener looks stagnant. I know I shouldn't compare completely different applications, yet those are neither less complex than Scrivener, nor being developed by some technological giant. And their price is almost the same.