[LH2916] Selected Document Type and Outline Level Not being Highlighted in Binder

Sh
Shipleyaust
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:48 pm Post

Jennifer,

I have forwarded Zipped project made this morning from 2903 Non-Fiction with Sub-Heads template and then duplicated Folder a couple of times and renamed to Chapters 1,2,3. Then checked Structure As-Is and selected All folders.

Here are screenshots.

Sorry about this issue as it appears I am only one getting it and may be a problem on my side.
Attachments
Windows Highlighting Screenshot.png
Windows Highlighting Screenshot.png (175.94 KiB) Viewed 977 times
Mac Highlighting Screenshot.png
Mac Highlighting Screenshot.png (403.62 KiB) Viewed 977 times

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:32 pm Post

Thanks. The project is showing the section highlighting fine on my Windows 10 environment, so it doesn't seem to be anything problematic with the project-specific settings. If you've already tried setting the program settings to defaults, I do think at least testing by rebooting into Safe Mode would be worthwhile. After the test, just reboot normally.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Sh
Shipleyaust

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:19 pm Post

I was not thinking it would be project-related as it has occurred in every project and works OK on Mac. I have reset Options, but will do so again. and then Safe Boot. What do I do in Safe Boot though? It looks like it wants me to Recover or Re-install and I am not sure what steps to take?

Sh
Shipleyaust

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:20 pm Post

Also, what is happening with this thread? Has it gone private? I cannot see my last two or your last post?

Sh
Shipleyaust

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:21 pm Post

Sorry! My mistake as I see it has just fallen over onto next page!

MimeticMouton

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:32 pm Post

You shouldn't need to recover or reinstall anything; I'm not sure where you're looking at that says so. Here are instructions for launching in Safe Mode in Win 10, since it's a little trickier than earlier versions because of the speed of startup. Once you've started up, launch Scrivener as normal and just see if the section highlighting shows in a project. After you've tested that, just reboot into the normal mode.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Sh
Shipleyaust

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:58 pm Post

Thanks. I have run this in Safe Mode and it performs exactly the same way unfortunately. I also install on my wife's laptop which is the fourth different machine to try. They good news is they all do the same thing! But still no luck there. I have been doing this with project in Dropbox (mostly in \Apps\Scrivener, but also another shared Dropbox account to test on my wife's computers. so I move the project out of Dropbox to a internal hard drive to see if that made a difference, but it did not. And I have tried various screen resolutions.

Next I am going to go offline and disable AVG and Malwarebytes to see if any difference.

MimeticMouton

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 pm Post

Thanks for trying. I also tried from a Dropbox project and from a different drive, but no difference in behaviour--still works as it's supposed to. :) Let us know what success you have with disabling those apps. The odd thing is that the labels are drawn the same way, and you are seeing those, so I can't understand why one of these is failing and the other isn't. :x
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Sh
Shipleyaust

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:17 pm Post

And if I show Show as Background Color in Binder, that also works.
Attachments
Label Color in Binder.png
Label Color in Binder.png (255.07 KiB) Viewed 969 times

Sh
Shipleyaust

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:05 pm Post

I finally figured it out! If I go into this through Inspector to pull down menu and then Edit to bring up the structured as-is panel, it does not work. But if I go in through the Project menu, then Project Settings, and then do it, it does work. Using the Project Settings icon on the Toolbar works just like using the Project menu, so that works also.

I have always been going in through the Inspector and that does not work (even though that did on Mac).

Can you see if you have the issue also if you go in via the Inspector? Not sure why the behavior is different, but it is on my computers. This now works the same ways on both computers (using Project menu or Toolbar Project Settings icon), and fails the same way on both computers (going via the Inspector).

Pleased I finally sourced it, but should not have taken me this long as I always felt it had to be a View or command thing that was the difference, so should have tried that out earlier.

MimeticMouton

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:30 pm Post

Aha, how bizarre! My apologies for not getting a step-by-step from you earlier, but I'm relieved you were able to find it, and I've filed the bug.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)