Touch screen scrolling in Scrivener 3?

p8
p8092040
Platform: Windows

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:23 pm Post

Yes, Touch screen scrolling is quite important for Windows 10 users, especially those with a tablet or touch screen hardware device.

I would expect touch screen scrolling support should be added soon.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:04 pm Post

It may be in the native Windows APIs, but Scrivener isn't a native Windows app -- it's based on the Qt framework. If Qt isn't passing that behavior through, that's something the Qt devs will need to fix. That's like getting superfreighter to change course. You can do it, it just takes more time and space than you would think.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

an
animatorgeek

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:11 pm Post

I just have to revive this. I know it comes up every once in a while, but I don't think we've actually heard anything from devs in terms of whether this behavior is purposeful. I *frequently* move a file or folder mistakenly when I'm trying to scroll the binder. The non-standard touch behavior is especially bad, since there's no undo capability in the binder and it's often difficult to figure out what change I just made, and it's difficult to cancel the move even if I realize what's happening mid-swipe. It's perhaps my biggest frustration with the program. I was very disappointed when I started using the 3.0 beta and it hadn't been addressed. Even more disappointed when it looked like the devs didn't have any plans to fix it. My only conclusion has to be that no in-house testers or developers are regularly using touch-screen computers. If they were, I have to believe that this problem would be given a high priority.

an
anja.zamari

Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:11 am Post

animatorgeek wrote:I just have to revive this. I know it comes up every once in a while, but I don't think we've actually heard anything from devs in terms of whether this behavior is purposeful. I *frequently* move a file or folder mistakenly when I'm trying to scroll the binder. The non-standard touch behavior is especially bad, since there's no undo capability in the binder and it's often difficult to figure out what change I just made, and it's difficult to cancel the move even if I realize what's happening mid-swipe. It's perhaps my biggest frustration with the program. I was very disappointed when I started using the 3.0 beta and it hadn't been addressed. Even more disappointed when it looked like the devs didn't have any plans to fix it. My only conclusion has to be that no in-house testers or developers are regularly using touch-screen computers. If they were, I have to believe that this problem would be given a high priority.

agreed, I've done the same a few times on my surface device

rw
rwfranz

Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:37 pm Post

animatorgeek wrote:I was very disappointed when I started using the 3.0 beta and it hadn't been addressed. Even more disappointed when it looked like the devs didn't have any plans to fix it.

From what I understood of what Tiho said, they do not plan on fixing it until they've got all the functionality of the standard desktop version working. I expect they'll get to it at some point. Because it involves QT libraries, it may not be a trivial fix.
Just another user.

br
brinkbart

Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:59 am Post

I have a question for everyone. I have literally never used a Windows Surface or any touch device running Windows, so please do forgive my ignorance...

Can you not just scroll with two fingers as you would on a touch pad?

pa
paravel

Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:11 pm Post

Its more of a workaround doing that.

It will currently scroll with two fingers but if you're not careful you then end up selecting data by accident and if you then hit a key you can "over-write" the selected data without even realising it.

Its particularly irritating when you want to "read" back rather than edit scrivener documents as the natural surface way of doing that would be to detach the keyboard and use only touch input on the screen. It can also be difficult

It may have improved a little - playing about with it now it does seem easier to "catch" the scroll bars with a single finger and vertically navigate a document - I'm sure I had real problems doing that in the past and you had to be very accurate with where you put your finger - but there now does seem a broader portion of the screen it will respond to when you're dragging the scroll bars.

Its irritating but not deal-breaking. Hopefully it will at some point be addressed.

Its actually interesting to read back through the post and understand that its harder technically to achieve than you might think - s

wo
wordjoy

Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:24 pm Post

The ideal behavior is to allow scrolling the text area by using finger in the margin / outside the edit area.
Word does this I think other apps do also.

Also, I have been guilty of blaming QT.
QT has touch support and has for a while.

I expect them to hit Retail with near parity with Mac. And while Mac natively has no touch screen support, I run MAC OS on a Windows VM and touch works pretty well in many cases there just acting like the touchpad mapped over the screen..

So make sure this posted in the suggestions area as it is not a "BUG" in Win Beta
With them also doing iOS and I hear Andriod version, touch will need to be native too all but Mac soon.

th
theladynyra

Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:42 pm Post

I picked up the beta today and I love it, save for this one flaw. Touch scrolling works fine for me in Scriv 1 (both in editor and full screen), so I expected it today on the beta. When I went to scroll when reading back, I highlighted text and accidentally deleted a large portion. Luckily I could undo, but it was a little surprising that something that's in Scriv 1 isn't in the beta of the next, shiny, all singing, all dancing (or will be) version.

Someone suggested 2 finger scrolling. It's not intuitive to do that after years of using my surface pro 4, and even then I've found it can still highlight stuff rather than just scroll the text - potentially running into the same problem.

As
Astaff
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:06 am Post

wordjoy wrote:I run MAC OS on a Windows VM and touch works pretty well in many cases there just acting like the touchpad mapped over the screen..
With them also doing iOS and I hear Andriod version, touch will need to be native too all but Mac soon.

MacOS on Win VM... on Apple hardware? Otherwise breach of licence..... :lol:

iOS and Android are very different from Win and the apps for those platforms are/will be very different from those for full OS such as Win and MacOS.

At this stage the Win team aren’t acting on Wish List suggestions just focussing on getting the bugs out.