[Suggestion] Dark Mode

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:38 am Post

Hey all,

Can someone point me to the post where KB put this up to a vote? I've searched and searched and I can't find it.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

garpu
Platform: Linux

Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:08 pm Post

Hey cool. Do the themes in this thread work for Windows Scrivener, too?

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum ... es#p243676
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

youngheart80
Platform: Windows

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:06 am Post

Not necessarily a fix for Scrivener having a dark theme, but I just ran across Negative Screen app which will toggle between a dark and light mode across all of Windows. Kind of like the Windows Magnifying inverting of colors, but it will keep colors where it can and only target greyscale for inversion. I've been playing with it and so far, it works pretty well. It has settings for everything from oversaturated colors to full greyscale and inverted greyscale.

https://zerowidthjoiner.net/negativescreen

Free and open source.

I tried it out with Beta3.0 and the default Smart Color setting is not too shabby.
Attachments
scrivener_Negative_Screen_w_Smart_Color.PNG
with default Smart Color applied
scrivener_Negative_Screen_w_Smart_Color.PNG (359.05 KiB) Viewed 3681 times
scrivener_default.PNG
regular
scrivener_default.PNG (354.27 KiB) Viewed 3681 times

Zu
Zulithe

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:32 pm Post

Oh wow, love that youngheart80! The results are quite good.

I hope we can get a native dark mode though, at some point. And more options for composition mode (font changes, more background options like a color selector?)

st
streetmentioner

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:29 pm Post

Windows 10 has a built-in workaround in Accessibility settings. Under "Color & High Contrast" you can turn on Color Filters, and select "Invert". Then you can toggle between normal and "dark" themes by using Windows key + Ctrl + C

It isn't much use if you're working with photos since they appear in negative!

What I try to do at night is work in composition mode as much as possible. You can set the colours to anything you like in Scrivener settings. I use green text on dark green background with a darkish background image.

StaceyUK

Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:30 pm Post

I also put in a vote for this! The ability to change UI colours and sizes would be even better!
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scrivener 1.9.7 / 2.8 /3.0.3/1.1.5 (1301)
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.26 Beta

StaceyUK

Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:31 pm Post

garpu wrote:Hey cool. Do the themes in this thread work for Windows Scrivener, too?

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum ... es#p243676

I don't think so.
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.26 Beta

ja
jacobw56
Platform: Mac

Tue May 01, 2018 12:27 am Post

Yes, definitely has my vote. I have everything dark via customization, but an official (and good looking) dark theme would be very welcome indeed.

devinganger

Wed May 02, 2018 6:00 am Post

Still not finding where KB said this was up for a vote.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG

StaceyUK

Wed May 02, 2018 6:18 am Post

devinganger wrote:Still not finding where KB said this was up for a vote.

Maybe not. But it would help some of us a lot if it were included.

People are just adding their voices if they feel it would help them too.
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.26 Beta

krastev

Wed May 02, 2018 12:15 pm Post

I wonder why do you feel the need to object every and each user opinion? Isn't this a forum to discuss ideas?
Krastev
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.16.0
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

devinganger

Thu May 03, 2018 7:06 am Post

krastev wrote:

I wonder why do you feel the need to object every and each user opinion? Isn't this a forum to discuss ideas?

There are lots of opinions I feel no need to object to, so that's clearly silly. And "discussing ideas" is great as long as that discussion includes *listening to what has previously been said*.

I like KB and the rest of the L&L staff to *want* to come through the forums. That means we should be listening to what they say. They have said many times that this is not a democracy. They have said many times that there are reasons why certain features will not be done.

Using the "I vote for" language is a great way to make people you are trying to talk to think you are not listening to them in return and are under the mistaken impression that simple vote pileups are all it takes to change one's mind. I really despise Microsoft and Apple and all other large "metrics-driven" companies for teaching users this is acceptable behavior. It's bullying, pure and simple, unless there is a call to prioritize feature development. There's a lot of room in the world for democracy. Software development isn't one of them.

Now, if someone is trying to usefully share use case data the developer may not have considered, in the hopes that there might be some middle ground that will meet the user's needs (as opposed to stated wants) while allowing the developer to make good choices on time vs. ROI, there are far better ways to do it.

"I get frequent migraines from screen glare and using Night Mode in the OS is a good workaround, except for when I'm working at night. I have a couple of other apps I use that don't play well with Night Mode, but they don't use as much screen real estate as Scrivener does. What about having a toggle on the editor to darken the main writing window but treat my text as monochrome so we don't have to worry about color conversions -- something I could use for a while, then switch off as needed? That would reduce the amount of glare to levels that don't trigger my migraines."

That, and it really gets annoying to see new people fling themselves +1 onto a thread without reading it (or the 54 other previous threads on the same topic).
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG