What's happening after January 31st?

th
thePhilosoraptor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:28 am
Platform: Windows

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:16 pm Post

Dan_____ wrote:Mac has already converted the projects. The beta is the only way to work on them.



Hi Dan,

The Mac version of Scrivener 3 has an "Export as Scrivener 2 Project" Option specifically to work around this. Once the project has been exported to Scrivener 2 it can be opened and edited by the current Windows version in the same way as before. When edits are made in the Windows version, they can be updated into Scrivener 3 Mac the same as any other older project.

Since there are a number of new features and changes in Scrivener 3, moving back and forth between the two versions may not be ideal, but it should work for the time being until the new Windows version is officially released.

In the meantime the new beta has been posted. (Beta 3) - viewtopic.php?f=57&t=40621
Bryan Bender

User avatar
rdale
Posts: 2037
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:07 pm Post

Dan_____ wrote:Well. if you work cross-platform using the Windows beta is not gutsy, it's essential. Mac has already converted the projects. The beta is the only way to work on them. In light of that it's nerve racking to get the new beta on the very day that the previous one expires. That's what happened last month and again, we're only day away from zero-hour and no update in sight nor any info from L&L.

This would all be moot if they did away with expiration or set them 6-12 months in the future. I'm not exactly who or what they think they are guarding against. The biggest risk, IMHO, is making people look for alternatives, not that someone is going to steal something.

The beta is now released. I suggest subscribing to the topic at this link so you know exactly when that happens next time:
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=40621

As for why they expire every month; you're a beta tester of v3. They want you to try it out and provide bug reports and usability issues, but if there are 3 simultaneously viable versions out in the wild, chances are that people will be reporting on older versions. The expiration and release cycle is designed to ensure that everyone is running the same version at the same time.

They're guarding against wasted time debugging something they already fixed, people not adopting and testing the latest release sufficiently, and tester exposure to bugs that have been resolved.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

User avatar
rdale
Posts: 2037
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:17 pm Post

thePhilosoraptor wrote:
Dan_____ wrote:Mac has already converted the projects. The beta is the only way to work on them.

The Mac version of Scrivener 3 has an "Export as Scrivener 2 Project" Option specifically to work around this.

Once you've down-graded the project on your Mac, there's also the ability to download v2.9, which accepts the v3 license code and is compatible with Win v1, and install it alongside v3 by renaming one of the applications ("Scrivener" to "Scriv2", for instance). Use that until the beta becomes an official release.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

Ji
JimRac
Posts: 1722
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:06 pm
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:00 pm Post

rdale wrote:
thePhilosoraptor wrote:
Dan_____ wrote:Mac has already converted the projects. The beta is the only way to work on them.

The Mac version of Scrivener 3 has an "Export as Scrivener 2 Project" Option specifically to work around this.

Once you've down-graded the project on your Mac, there's also the ability to download v2.9, which accepts the v3 license code and is compatible with Win v1, and install it alongside v3 by renaming one of the applications ("Scrivener" to "Scriv2", for instance). Use that until the beta becomes an official release.

@Dan - If working cross-platform is *essential*, then you should consider Rdale’s suggestion, as downgrading your Mac is the more efficient, less risky option.
I’m just a customer.

rg
rgletter
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:45 pm
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:25 pm Post

Beta 3 is available Current: Beta 3, version 2.9.0.3. Download 64/32bit version

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=40621

User avatar
devinganger
Posts: 2103
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Monroe, WA 98272 (CN97au)
Contact:

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:25 am Post

Dan_____ wrote:This would all be moot if they did away with expiration or set them 6-12 months in the future. I'm not exactly who or what they think they are guarding against. The biggest risk, IMHO, is making people look for alternatives, not that someone is going to steal something.


They're not protecting against people stealing something by having short expiration dates.

They're protecting *users and customers* from using aged, out-of-date, buggy code and corrupting their projects.

If you truly need to work cross-platform, use the Mac version to export your project back to Scrivener 2 version, then install Scrivener 2.9 (which takes your Scrivener 3 Mac license) side-by-side and use that to work with Scrivener 1.9.7.0 for Windows.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes