Windows Install Warning - is this expected?

Sh
Shipleyaust
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:34 am Post

I got this Windows 10 warning on both my desktop and laptop. Is this expected? (I was not expecting it.)
Scrivener 3.0 Windows beta install.png
Scrivener 3.0 Windows beta install.png (17.38 KiB) Viewed 2433 times

After clicking on More info and then electing to run it, I was able to install and it opens fine.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:40 am Post

Basically yes. "Windows Defender SmartScreen checks the reputation of any web-based app the first time it's run from the Internet, checking digital signatures and other factors against a Microsoft-maintained service. If an app has no reputation or is known to be malicious, SmartScreen can warn the employee or block the app from running entirely, depending on how you've configured the feature to run in your organization." ~ Set up and use Windows Defender SmartScreen

Since this is a brand new version and installer, it's got no reputation and isn't on the Microsoft-maintained service, and so is triggering the warning. You'll occasionally see this kind of thing with security software set to a high sensitivity like this, when an indie app gets an updated signature, new version number, etc.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

austriaka
Platform: Windows

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:47 am Post

I had a similar Warning from my Virus Protection (Avast Free). I sent the installation file to Avast for checking and it was judged save this morning.
Since I didn't want to wait so long, I defined an exception for Scrivener and the installation process went fine.
Win 10 Home 64-Bit 10.0.1809
Intel Xeon CPU E3-1230 v5 @ 3,4 GHz (Quadcore) 16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro K420
payed for Scrivener 1.9.7.0 & using Scrivener 2.9.9.20 Beta 64-bit

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:26 am Post

Depending on what your system Smart Screen settings are, you can also avoid this message by right-clicking on the installer file you downloaded and unblocking it.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

Fa
FadedStardust
Platform: Windows

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:36 am Post

Yep, this is a default Windows thing. If you click "More info" you can get a hidden option to "Run software anyways" and it'll install like normal.