[LH2741] Can not have 2 document windows open and work.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:48 am Post

Thanks for checking. 1.9.7 and 3.0 both use "Current Editor" as the default setting for Binder Affects, but 3.0 has added some additional options (None and Both), so it seems somewhere that's getting triggered incorrectly in an upgrade. I've filed the bug.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

garpu
Platform: Linux

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:05 am Post

Yargh. Just ran into this one tonight, as well. Good to know it's a feature, not a bug. :)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

ja
jandrewnelson
Platform: Windows

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:28 am Post

I've got the same problem, but can't find a fix.

I installed the Beta, opened it and then tried to access an existing Anthology.

the file showed up in Explorer and even the title appeared in the listing. But nothing, NOTHING in the editor window. Trying all the helps, tips and tricks on this thread and nothing has worked yet.

So, how do I get to my anthology?

EDIT: I should add that SOME of the documents appear in the editor, just not all of them. Any thoughts?
Attachments
Its gone 2017-11-22_6-14-47.jpg
Its gone 2017-11-22_6-14-47.jpg (172.14 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
Last edited by jandrewnelson on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

austriaka

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:41 am Post

I can confirm as well: I upgraded a project from 1.9 and it was set to "none" in "Navigate - Binder Selection Affects".
Controlling my project in 1.9 showed the correct setting (View - Binder affects - current editor)
Win 10 Home 64-Bit 10.0.1809
Intel Xeon CPU E3-1230 v5 @ 3,4 GHz (Quadcore) 16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro K420
payed for Scrivener 1.9.7.0 & using Scrivener 2.9.9.20 Beta 64-bit

la
larykirk

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:13 pm Post

When I use the Layout>"Outline Left, the Outline Results Right", and click on a document in the Left Editor, the document does NOT show up in the Right Editor as it always has.

I've tried everything I can think of but nothing works.

Am I missing something obvious?

Ma
Mari L Yates

Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:18 pm Post

MimeticMouton wrote:Could you check that Navigate > Binder Selection Affects is set to "Current Editor"? If that is selected, this should be working as expected: clicking an item in the binder loads it in the focussed editor, i.e. the last one you clicked into, the same as previous versions.
There is a bug here with the UI display in that the blue editor header should be indicating the editor that takes the binder action (with the blue underline indicating the focussed editor) but currently that's always applying to the focussed editor.

Thank you! This was driving me crazy.
I had created a new project using the Fiction -> Novel template. When checking this setting, it was defaulting to Left Editor. However, to be fair, I'd changed a lot of other settings and may have done this to myself. Regardless, I'm working as expected now!

I'm learning so many new tricks about Scrivener with this beta. :P

MimeticMouton

Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:30 pm Post

Mari L Yates wrote:it was defaulting to Left Editor. However, to be fair, I'd changed a lot of other settings and may have done this to myself.

There's definitely a bug with the upgrade setting, switching the original setting to something else. This is affecting templates too, because they're still the 1.x templates and so new projects created from them are being upgraded to the 3.0 format at the time of creation. I'd expect it to have switched to binder affects "None" (because it was set to "Current" and that seems to be the way this is miswired), so maybe some other settings got switched when you were playing around, but it would've been off in any case. Sorry about that!

I added this to the initial beta post's list of some known bugs that users are likely to run into; too late for here, but hopefully that will help out anyone just starting. Thanks, all!
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Th
The Pencil Neck

Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:19 pm Post

Sorry, gang. I went on vacation and when I came back, I got slammed by my work-work.

In my 1.9.7 version, The View->Binder Affects is set to current editor.

For me, this is happening both in converted 1.9.7 versions and in new projects I'm opening. The Binder Affects None seems to be the default for me. :(

MimeticMouton

Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:40 pm Post

The bug affects upgraded projects, which at this point includes any new projects created from the templates. If you start from a blank project, it should be set to Binder Affects > Current. So for the others, just remember for now to check that setting as soon as you create the project. :)
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)