[LH2741] Can not have 2 document windows open and work.

se
setherd
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:28 am Post

I have 2 document windows open often (one with notes or a character list). With the new beta, I can only see the first thing that opens. Selecting another text section from the binder does nothing.

If I go back to 1 document window it all works as it should.

Seth

Aurion
Platform: Windows

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:37 am Post

I've run into this too, since I work with split screen a lot. However, I believe this is the bug mentioned in the release notes:

There is currently a display bug we are still working to fix whereby text in one editor may temporarily disappear after loading or adjusting the text display in a different editor. Reloading or typing in the document will cause the text to reappear.

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:57 am Post

Usually a resizing of the editor(via the Binder splitter) or the Scrivener window, will make the text reappear.

austriaka

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:39 am Post

No, this is definitely not the bug mentioned. There is no vanishing text, but just no reaction to clicking a file in the Binder, when working in split mode.
It works, if you right-click the file in binder, choose "open ... in different editor" and it will react as expected.
But of course it takes you three clicks instead of one ...
Win 10 Home 64-Bit 10.0.1809
Intel Xeon CPU E3-1230 v5 @ 3,4 GHz (Quadcore) 16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro K420
payed for Scrivener 1.9.7.0 & using Scrivener 2.9.9.11 Beta 64-bit

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:40 pm Post

Alt+Click inside the Binder will load the document inside the other editor. Does this work as expected for you guys? I could not reproduce your issue unfortunately.

austriaka

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:47 pm Post

tiho_d wrote:Alt+Click inside the Binder will load the document inside the other editor. Does this work as expected for you guys? I could not reproduce your issue unfortunately.

yes, this is working for me.
But without the "Alt", nothing happens.
NVIDIA Quadro K420

Th
The Pencil Neck

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:48 pm Post

I think this is just a non-intuitive change to old behavior.

It took me a while to figure out how to open documents in the two windows, and it's not as intuitive or as fast as it was in Version 1. Maybe I'll get used to this, maybe not.

Li
ListeningGarden

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:31 pm Post

The Pencil Neck wrote:I think this is just a non-intuitive change to old behavior.

It took me a while to figure out how to open documents in the two windows, and it's not as intuitive or as fast as it was in Version 1. Maybe I'll get used to this, maybe not.

I hope this isn't intended behavior!

For clarification - when selecting a document from the binder, it only takes a single click to change the document in the editor window. If in split-screen mode, single clicking no longer changes the document visible in the currently selected editor window - it does nothing at all. Scrivener 1.x-2.x behavior was that any time a document or file was chosen from the binder, it would replace what was in the active editor window. I have a feeling this is indeed a bug, as it doesn't make sense to change this behavior otherwise. Can anyone with the OS X edition tell us if it still functions as it did in the previous versions?

Th
The Pencil Neck

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:50 pm Post

ListeningGarden wrote:
The Pencil Neck wrote:I think this is just a non-intuitive change to old behavior.

I hope this isn't intended behavior!

For clarification - when selecting a document from the binder, it only takes a single click to change the document in the editor window. If in split-screen mode, single clicking no longer changes the document visible in the currently selected editor window - it does nothing at all. Scrivener 1.x-2.x behavior was that any time a document or file was chosen from the binder, it would replace what was in the active editor window. I have a feeling this is indeed a bug, as it doesn't make sense to change this behavior otherwise. Can anyone with the OS X edition tell us if it still functions as it did in the previous versions?

I'm becoming more and more convinced this is a bug. I'm having all kinds of trouble getting the right document to open in the right window no matter what I do.

I'm going to try in a single window or at least, one of the other layouts to see if it's still an issue.

austriaka

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:37 pm Post

Of course it is a Bug: the Mac version works as expected. No new behaviour in Binder ;)
NVIDIA Quadro K420

Li
ListeningGarden

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:25 pm Post

austriaka wrote:Of course it is a Bug: the Mac version works as expected. No new behaviour in Binder ;)

Thank you for confirming!

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:11 pm Post

Could you check that Navigate > Binder Selection Affects is set to "Current Editor"? If that is selected, this should be working as expected: clicking an item in the binder loads it in the focussed editor, i.e. the last one you clicked into, the same as previous versions.
There is a bug here with the UI display in that the blue editor header should be indicating the editor that takes the binder action (with the blue underline indicating the focussed editor) but currently that's always applying to the focussed editor.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Th
The Pencil Neck

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:30 pm Post

MimeticMouton wrote:Could you check that Navigate > Binder Selection Affects is set to "Current Editor"? If that is selected, this should be working as expected: clicking an item in the binder loads it in the focussed editor, i.e. the last one you clicked into, the same as previous versions.
There is a bug here with the UI display in that the blue editor header should be indicating the editor that takes the binder action (with the blue underline indicating the focussed editor) but currently that's always applying to the focussed editor.

Ah, that's got it!

Thanks!

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:21 am Post

Great, glad that solved it. Could you tell me, was this in a new blank project, or from one of the templates, or an upgraded 1.x project? The default setting for new projects should be to have the binder affect the current editor, and as I'm assuming you didn't change this, it sounds like it may be getting set wrong in an upgrade. (All the templates are still the 1.9,7 format, so they'd suffer the same issue as any other project being updated.)

If this was an upgraded project, could you check the original (the backup copy made when you updated) and let me know how it was set under View > Binder Affects in 1.9.7?
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Aurion

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:36 am Post

MimeticMouton wrote:Great, glad that solved it. Could you tell me, was this in a new blank project, or from one of the templates, or an upgraded 1.x project? The default setting for new projects should be to have the binder affect the current editor, and as I'm assuming you didn't change this, it sounds like it may be getting set wrong in an upgrade. (All the templates are still the 1.9,7 format, so they'd suffer the same issue as any other project being updated.)

If this was an upgraded project, could you check the original (the backup copy made when you updated) and let me know how it was set under View > Binder Affects in 1.9.7?

I can confirm two projects (one a new project created from a 1.9.7 project template; one is my own work previously created in 1.9.7) both have the "Binder Selection Affects" set to "None" after upgrading to 2.9.0.1. A new S3 project from the "blank" template has it set correctly as "current editor". Seems like an upgrade issue; I see another report of this issue here: http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=40755

I accidentally overwrote 1.9.7 in my install (didn't create a new install location, just went to the default) so I don't have the old version to double check, but I recall 1.9.7 never had this issue. So I assume 1.9.7 always had the navigation as "current editor."