Before proceeding, please see the general notes about the Windows 3.0 beta and reporting bugs in the first reply to this thread. Please do not download the current beta or post reports until you have read that information.
Current: Beta 18, version 220.127.116.11
18.104.22.168 (64-bit) | 22.214.171.124 (32-bit)
(The 32-bit version installs by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener on administrator accounts; the 64-bit version installs to C:\Program Files\Scrivener. Please be sure to uninstall previous betas before installing Beta 18. If you wish, your program preferences can be saved first via the "Manage..." button in File > Options, then reloaded after the fresh installation. Bear in mind that changes between betas may affect restoring settings, and if you are experiencing oddities, please try resetting to the defaults.)
This beta will run through 31st July 2019. New betas will be posted here; please check Help > About Scrivener to ensure you are using the most recent version. You can subscribe to this topic to get notifications when new betas are released.
You can also use Help > Check for Updates in beta releases to download the latest beta.
System Requirements and Compatibility
- Scrivener 3 requires Windows 7 or above with .NET v4.5 or higher.
- Scrivener 3's file format has been updated and is not backwards-compatible with Scrivener 1 (or Scrivener 2 on macOS). When you open a Scrivener 1 project in Scrivener 3, you will be prompted to update the project, after which you will not be able to open it in Scrivener 1 (although a backup will be made before the update).
Installing 1.9.9 and 3.0 Beta Side by Side
It is possible to have both 1.9.9 and the Scrivener 3.0 beta installed simultaneously, but you will need to choose a different location during the installation process (e.g. change the default "Scrivener" folder name to "Scrivener3"). We suggest also changing the name of 1.9.9 shortcuts before installing Scrivener 3 to prevent the new installation overwriting them.
Please note that at this time, only the most recently installed Scrivener version will appear in the Windows Programs list, and double-clicking a project file will attempt to open it in that version. You can instead drag the project file icon onto the appropriate app icon for the version you want or use File > Open... within Scrivener to access the project.
Note on Beta 18
If you have installed Beta 17, please upgrade to Beta 18 by either selecting Help > Check for Updates within Scrivener or downloading the full installer from the link above.
The fixes and changes from Beta 17 to Beta 18 are listed below.
- Markdown link conversion not working 
- Fixed-width editor 
- Word and character count not updating in QuickSearch Target bar 
- Windows restore with an invalid monitor in multi-monitor setup 
- Augment Options dialog to be better aligned with Mac Preferences 
- Add Pandoc support 
- Alt-Tabbing changes screen split button behavior 
- Modifying formatting in Revision mode will not mark the text as revised 
- Check for updates window does not fit 1080px high screens. 
- Project Target Bar Colours 
- Format bar in Quick Reference windows should match main window 
- Misspelling in Options > Behaviors 
- Open Document Links in Current Editor overrides Context Menu Option 
A few IMPORTANT things to be aware of in the current v18 beta
We have not yet updated the user manual, so the beta still contains the old 1.9.7 manual. We have however included an updated interactive tutorial for 3.0, which we recommend working through to familiarise yourself with the new features.
Titles are not editable in the editor header while in Scrivenings mode. They can however be updated in the Inspector, Binder, or, if View > Text Editing > Show Titles in Scrivenings is enabled, directly in the editor and the change will be reflected in the header.
A Note on Suggestions
To help resolve remaining bugs, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!
Lee & Tiho
Jun 19th 2019