Current: Beta - Release Candidate 10, version 220.127.116.11
Latest Beta - Release Candidate 10 Download Link
18.104.22.168 (64-bit) | 22.214.171.124 (32-bit)
(The 32-bit version installs by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener on administrator accounts; the 64-bit version installs to C:\Program Files\Scrivener. Please be sure to uninstall previous betas before installing this Beta. If you wish, your program preferences can be saved first via the "Manage..." button in File > Options, then reloaded after the fresh installation. Bear in mind that changes between betas may affect restoring settings, and if you are experiencing oddities, please try resetting to the defaults.)
New interim betas will be posted here; please check Help > About Scrivener to ensure you are using the most recent version. You can subscribe to this topic to get notifications when new betas are released.
You can also use Help > Check for Updates in beta releases to download the latest beta.
System Requirements and Compatibility
- Scrivener 3 requires Windows 7 or above with .NET v4.6.2 or higher.
- Scrivener 3's file format has been updated and is not backwards-compatible with Scrivener 1 (or Scrivener 2 on macOS). When you open a Scrivener 1 project in Scrivener 3, you will be prompted to update the project, after which you will not be able to open it in Scrivener 1 (although a backup will be made before the update).
Installing 1.9.9 and 3.0 Beta Side by Side
It is possible to have both 1.9.9 and the Scrivener 3.0 beta installed simultaneously, but you will need to choose a different location during the installation process (e.g. change the default "Scrivener" folder name to "Scrivener3"). We suggest also changing the name of 1.9.9 shortcuts before installing Scrivener 3 to prevent the new installation overwriting them.
Please note that at this time, only the most recently installed Scrivener version will appear in the Windows Programs list, and double-clicking a project file will attempt to open it in that version. You can instead drag the project file icon onto the appropriate app icon for the version you want or use File > Open... within Scrivener to access the project.
Bug Fixes and Resolved Items
- Scratch pad notes not saved if Scrivener shut down 
- Footnote to Endnote output for RTF is nonfunctional 
- Outliner columns do not save from one session to the next 
- Finalize default Shortcut theme and close out shortcut changes 
- Resolve Mac Shortcut Scheme conflicts with Windows OS 
- Compile: Make opening words uppercase treats apostrophe as word break 
- Styles apply incorrectly to multiple selection 
- Use of the Convert to Default Text Formatting command strips styles 
- Apply style when creating/redefining style from selection 
- Character styles applying to full paragraph if no selection 
- Certain inserted images wipe preceding images 
- Go To Enclosing Group should select previous document 
- Font size does not apply when included in redefining style 
- Deleting a snapshot can delete multiple snapshots 
- Converting web pages imported as shortcuts deletes original file 
- Cancel load Scrivenings session 
- Project template categories have UI duplication and clean-up issues 
- Reduce button size in Scratch Pad 
- Transcript scriptwriting requires media timestamp feature 
- Show Invisibles state is broken after being used in Quick Reference window 
- Alt Shortcuts not Updating Correctly 
- Update Help > Keep Up to Date 
- Image resolution does not affect size in editor 
- Implement <$mediaPlaybackTime> placeholder 
- Change Move menu and shortcuts for paragraphs 
- Ctrl+Shift+Arrows has incorrect binding in the inspector 
- Preferred split orientation should be saved in project settings 
- Closing split editor via button toggle should focus remaining editor 
- images inserted into the editor as linked to disk have wrong size 
- Whole Word search not returning results 
- Styles panel does not reliably highlight currently used styles under cursor 
- The application of paragraph styles with font settings produces partial styling 
- Polish the Styles Dialog 
- Specific JPG will not load in Scrivener 
- Enclosing Group and Editor Selection affect binder 
- Refine Go To Enclosing Group behaviour 
- Combination of layout settings causes navigation malfunction 
- RTF-based output should establish styled document outline in header 
- Compile - Document Title Links - should only appear when relevant 
- Compile Does Not Retain Front Matter Selection 
- Application of styles lacking font-family declaration should not change font family 
- Compile - Footnotes - match body indents setting is nonfunctional 
- Scratchpad plain text editor does not use Options colors 
- Status-bar zoom percent incorrect when using "Fit To Window" 
- User-definable shortcuts for all menu items 
- Incorrect Label in Keyboard Shortcuts 
- Open in X editor shortcuts should remain consistent 
- Shortcut accessed needed for text selection commands 
- Show loaded collection name in quick search for corkboard and outliner 
- Find Forward in Scrivenings mode searches only the current document 
- Keyboard shortcuts don't recognise modified variations of same key 
- Selections made from the right do not indicate character styled text 
- Missing menu View > Outliner Options > Center Content 
- Option to turn off displaying photos on corkboard 
- Change .bak to -bak for automatic backups 
- Importing Web Pages with Unicode characters inside the import Title fail 
- Add option to change the Page View background colour 
- Dark mode annotations unreadable and other improvements within this mode
- Settings: Appearance: General Interface - collection background darkness slider missing
- Dark Mode Notes background makes cursor hard to see 
Note: to see Dark Mode fixes, you will need to load another theme and then reload the Dark Mode theme again.
We are aware of one bug (listed below) that can hang Scrivener, and zero bugs that cause data loss, so if you are aware of any other bugs that can hang Scrivener, or cause data loss, please let us know. The only crash bug we know about is:-
Merging cells in table can crash under certain conditions
If you would like to try a HiDPI version of RC10 you can download it here: 126.96.36.199 (64-bit HiDPI) | 188.8.131.52 (32-bit HiDPI). The HiDPI version is the same Scrivener code, but compiled with the latest Qt 5.15 C++ framework that is supposed to better address Microsoft Windows scaling.
We'd especially appreciate feedback on how this works for those of you who have found certain dialogs (such as compile and options) too large with your screen's display scaling. The high-DPI updates have made significant improvements in our testing, and we're hoping you see the same!
Beta Release Candidate 10 expires 15th Oct 2020.
A Note on Suggestions
To help resolve remaining bugs, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!
Lee & Tiho
Sept 14th 2020