Before proceeding, please see the general notes about the Windows 3.0 beta and reporting bugs in the first reply to this thread. Please do not download the current beta or post reports until you have read that information.
Current: Beta 17, version 22.214.171.124
126.96.36.199 (64-bit) | 188.8.131.52 (32-bit)
(The 32-bit version installs by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener on administrator accounts; the 64-bit version installs to C:\Program Files\Scrivener. Please be sure to uninstall previous betas before installing Beta 17. If you wish, your program preferences can be saved first via the "Manage..." button in File > Options, then reloaded after the fresh installation. Bear in mind that changes between betas may affect restoring settings, and if you are experiencing oddities, please try resetting to the defaults.)
This beta will run through 20th June 2019. New betas will be posted here; please check Help > About Scrivener to ensure you are using the most recent version. You can subscribe to this topic to get notifications when new betas are released.
You can also use Help > Check for Updates in beta releases to download the latest beta.
System Requirements and Compatibility
- Scrivener 3 requires Windows 7 or above with .NET v4 or higher.
- Scrivener 3's file format has been updated and is not backwards-compatible with Scrivener 1 (or Scrivener 2 on macOS). When you open a Scrivener 1 project in Scrivener 3, you will be prompted to update the project, after which you will not be able to open it in Scrivener 1 (although a backup will be made before the update).
Installing 1.9.9 and 3.0 Beta Side by Side
It is possible to have both 1.9.9 and the Scrivener 3.0 beta installed simultaneously, but you will need to choose a different location during the installation process (e.g. change the default "Scrivener" folder name to "Scrivener3"). We suggest also changing the name of 1.9.9 shortcuts before installing Scrivener 3 to prevent the new installation overwriting them.
Please note that at this time, only the most recently installed Scrivener version will appear in the Windows Programs list, and double-clicking a project file will attempt to open it in that version. You can instead drag the project file icon onto the appropriate app icon for the version you want or use File > Open... within Scrivener to access the project.
Note on Beta 17
If you have installed Beta 16, please upgrade to Beta 17 by either selecting Help > Check for Updates within Scrivener or downloading the full installer from the link above.
The fixes and changes from Beta 16 to Beta 17 are listed below.
- Embedded placeholders not working 
- Section type name does not update in Default Types by Structure 
- Project Search not working for keywords 
- Word and character count not updating in Quick Search Target bar 
- Icons missing from external bookmarks 
- Links in alphabets other than English revert to ??????? 
- Save As should use the new name for the .scrivx file 
- Dragging item over the copyholder titlebar while the copyholder is empty causes a crash 
- Closing the compile dialog via the "X" dialog button always resets the settings 
- Implement Scrivener Themes via Window > Themes menu 
- Implement missing subdoc defaults for Section type inspector UI 
- Cannot Export Multiple Documents 
- Spaces Split Comments 
- Replace All does not work with RegEx 
- Implement Copy Document as External Link 
- Implement "Insert links back to Scrivener in each section" 
- Load Scrivener URL Links from external projects inside the Bookmarks 
- Fix the Compile Format dialog default size 
- Quick Edit section layouts from the Section Layout list of the Compile Dialog 
- Enable/Disable revision level per project and not globally for all projects 
- Recognize "https://" web prefixes in Add Link dialog 
- Web Page links with special characters won't import 
- Outliner should show numbers for Untitled Documents 
- Edit > Speech > Settings won't close on first attempt 
- Project Search cannot be reset to "Any Word" 
- Make the Target Progress Colors configurable in Options > Appearance 
- New Items in Hoisted Binder Problem 
- Add "Comments Area Background" for the Main Window and the Quick Ref Windows 
- Hyperlink range extends beyond applied text 
- Generated Titles should Appear on Loading Project 
- Implement Progress Target Start Color and Smooth Color Transition 
- Dark Mode and other Themes with checkboxes cause UI problems 
- Enable console debugging output via the Options 
- Hitting "Enter" with text selected no longer replaces text with carriage return 
- Exporting from Snapshot Manager non-functional 
- File > Export Should Remember format by project 
- Add "Binder Affects" to the Binder context menu 
- Resizable Windows Should Remember Dimensions 
- Implement <$include> placeholder 
- Use Selection for Find opens the Find panel 
- Assigning "Group" anything but "AS IS" causes epub TOC to show "Unknown" 
- Add user option for the spell-check underline styles 
- Implement Main Editor title bar drop down menus for the history buttons 
- Main editor Inspector note tooltips show a black area before displaying 
- Conflicting Accelerator keys in Context Menus 
- Custom Metadata text color problems 
- Improve the message boxes in Scrivener themes 
- Move tabs to left list in Options dialog to be more inline with Mac Preferences
A few IMPORTANT things to be aware of in the current v17 beta
Dark Mode is now a theme and is no longer set in the Options dialog, but in the Window > Themes menu. If you have Dark Mode enabled it is recommended to switch back to 'Default' in the Window > Themes menu, restart Scrivener, then select 'Dark Mode' in Window > Themes menu, restart Scrivener again to ensure Dark Mode runs as expected. We will endeavour to post here about how you too can create and share your own themes in the coming weeks.
We have not yet updated the user manual, so the beta still contains the old 1.9.7 manual. We have however included an updated interactive tutorial for 3.0, which we recommend working through to familiarise yourself with the new features.
Titles are not editable in the editor header while in Scrivenings mode. They can however be updated in the Inspector, Binder, or, if View > Text Editing > Show Titles in Scrivenings is enabled, directly in the editor and the change will be reflected in the header.
A Note on Suggestions
To help resolve remaining bugs, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!
Lee & Tiho
May 14th 2019
Previous Beta: Beta 16, version 184.108.40.206 (valid until 15th May 2019)
220.127.116.11 (64-bit) | 18.104.22.168 (32-bit)