Current: Beta 3, version 126.96.36.199
188.8.131.52 (64-bit) | 184.108.40.206 (32-bit)
(The 32-bit version installs by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener on administrator accounts; the 64-bit version installs to C:\Program Files\Scrivener. Please be sure to uninstall previous betas before installing Beta 3.)
This beta will run through 31 March 2018. New betas will be posted here; please check Help > About Scrivener to ensure you are using the most recent version. You can subscribe to this topic to get notifications when new betas are released.
System Requirements and Compatibility
- Scrivener 3 requires Windows 7 or above.
- Scrivener 3's file format has been updated and is not backwards-compatible with Scrivener 1 (or Scrivener 2 on macOS). When you open a Scrivener 1 project in Scrivener 3, you will be prompted to update the project, after which you will not be able to open it in Scrivener 1 (although a backup will be made before the update).
Installing 1.9.7 and 3.0 Beta Side by Side
It is possible to have both 1.9.7 and the Scrivener 3.0 beta installed simultaneously, but you will need to choose a different location during the installation process (e.g. change the default "Scrivener" folder name to "Scrivener3"). We suggest also changing the name of 1.9.7 shortcuts before installing Scrivener 3 to prevent the new installation overwriting them.
Please note that at this time, only the most recently installed Scrivener version will appear in the Windows Programs list, and double-clicking a project file will attempt to open it in that version. You can instead drag the project file icon onto the appropriate app icon for the version you want or use File > Open... within Scrivener to access the project.
Changes Since Last Beta
(Bug fixes for issues reported on the forum are marked with an LH# corresponding to the one in the thread's subject. Not all reported bugs have yet been addressed; there is no need to bump an earlier report that is not listed here unless it's to note that the problem is no longer reproducible in the new beta or that the behaviour has changed.)
Refinements and Changes
- Began implementing Edit > Copy Special > Copy as Markdown (still in progress refining the markdown generated).
- Refined adding text-based icons to documents, including a new popover window to select emoji.
- Adjusted the style of the full-width binder labels to match the updated style in 3.0.1 on macOS; labels now show level indentation, as in 1.x. The menu item has been renamed "Show as Background Color in Binder".
- Updated methods for customising keyboard shortcuts to work around keybinding differences in various keyboard layouts. Keyboard shortcuts can now be typed directly as text (modifiers must be spelled out, e.g. type 'c', 't', 'r', 'l' to indicate the Control key) or entered as previously by clicking the Record button and then pressing the desired shortcut keys.
- Removed the Edit > Transformations > Bold and Italics to MultiMarkdown Syntax menu option. This is replaced with the more robust the Edit > Copy Special > Copy as Markdown feature.
- Fixed a bug whereby Scrivener 1.x projects imported with blank documents. [LH1748]
- Fixed a bug whereby the cursor position in a document was not remembered in the editor or notes fields when the document was reloaded. [LH2842]
- Fixed a crash that would occur when using the name generator to generate more than one last name. [LH2739]
- Fixed a bug whereby the ? character was lost from documents using Cyrillic text after being edited on iOS or macOS. [LH2242]
- Fixed a bug whereby triple-clicking to select a paragraph followed by an empty line would also select the carriage return and formatting or style changes could consequently affect the following paragraph.
- Worked around an old 1.x bug that could cause upgraded projects to initially load the freeform corkboard rather than the standard (linear) corkboard. Containers in upgraded Windows projects will now always open on the standard corkboard but will remember their card positions on the freeform corkboard so that cross-platform users do not lose layouts arranged on the Mac version. [LH2822]
- Fixed a bug with card timestamps and positions on the freeform corkboard, ensuring compatibility with macOS.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Containers in projects from earlier betas or upgraded 1.x projects may initially open with cards scrolled off the editor. Reducing the card size (thus zooming out the corkboard) via the corkboard options button in the editor footer can simplify dragging the cards back toward the upper left.
- Fixed a bug whereby closing a copyholder while it had focus did not correctly move focus to its parent editor. [LH2825]
- Fixed a bug whereby sort options appeared incorrectly for static collections.
- Fixed a bug whereby the block insertion point width only applied to the document open at the time the option was set. [LH2824]
- Fixed a bug whereby replacing a misspelled word with the suggested spelling could remove adjacent punctuation. [LH2823]
- Improved spell check to catch words separated only with invalid punctuation, e.g. "missing.spaces". [LH1105]
- Fixed a bug whereby project bookmark titles in the Quick Reference sidebar did not update until being moused over when the title was changed in the editor header. [LH2852]
- Fixed a bug whereby typing in the Notes while in Scriptwriting Mode caused the script element popup to appear when hitting Enter twice. [LH2843]
- Changed the General Text (Centered) script element shortcut to 'e', fixing a conflict that prevented the 'c' shortcut triggering the Character element. [LH2839]
- Fixed a bug whereby the General Text script element was using the same Alt+ shortcut as the element preceding it.
- Fixed a bug whereby the "Use Full Width in Binder" setting for viewing labels was not saving between sessions. (This setting has been renamed "Show as Background Color in Binder" in 220.127.116.11.) [LH2733]
- Cleaned up the Default Types by Structure table in the Project Settings, including fixing a bug whereby the root-level items could be deleted. [LH2670]
- Fixed a bug whereby the default shortcut to toggle the Scratch Pad was not working. [LH2831]
- Corrected text in the info message when updating a 1.x project containing project notes to indicate the notes have been moved to the binder and added to Project Bookmarks.
- Fixed capitalisation in the start up wizard.
- Minor edits to the tutorial.
We are still implementing features and ironing out bugs, so you should expect to find things that aren't working quite as intended. A few issues to be aware of in the current 18.104.22.168 beta:
- A correction made to the freeform corkboard could cause containers in projects from earlier betas or upgraded 1.x projects to initially open with cards scrolled off the editor. Reducing the card size (thus zooming out the corkboard) via the corkboard options button in the editor footer can simplify dragging the cards back toward the upper left.
- Though we have the interface set up for the new compiler, it is not yet fully functional.
- Documents in Scrivenings mode cannot currently be edited.
- There is currently a display bug we are still working to fix whereby text in one editor may temporarily disappear after loading or adjusting the text display in a different editor. Resizing the editor will cause the text to reappear.
- Project templates have not yet been updated for 3.0, so are not taking advantage of new features and may have some outdated content.
- Imported webpages aren't currently viewable in the editor.
We have not yet updated the user manual, so the beta still contains the old 1.9.7 manual. We have however included an updated interactive tutorial for 3.0, which we recommend working through to familiarise yourself with the new features.
A Note on Suggestions
At present, our focus is on squashing bugs and on implementing and polishing outstanding features to bring Windows in line with the macOS 3.0 version. To help with this, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!