Current: Beta 12, version 126.96.36.199
188.8.131.52 (64-bit) | 184.108.40.206 (32-bit)
(The 32-bit version installs by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener on administrator accounts; the 64-bit version installs to C:\Program Files\Scrivener. Please be sure to uninstall previous betas before installing Beta 12. If you wish, your program preferences can be saved first via the "Manage..." button in File > Options, then reloaded after the fresh installation. Bear in mind that changes between betas may affect restoring settings, and if you are experiencing oddities, please try resetting to the defaults.)
This beta will run through 28 February 2019. New betas will be posted here; please check Help > About Scrivener to ensure you are using the most recent version. You can subscribe to this topic to get notifications when new betas are released.
You can also use Help > Check for Updates in beta releases to download the latest beta.
System Requirements and Compatibility
- Scrivener 3 requires Windows 7 or above with .NET v4 or higher.
- Scrivener 3's file format has been updated and is not backwards-compatible with Scrivener 1 (or Scrivener 2 on macOS). When you open a Scrivener 1 project in Scrivener 3, you will be prompted to update the project, after which you will not be able to open it in Scrivener 1 (although a backup will be made before the update).
Installing 1.9.9 and 3.0 Beta Side by Side
It is possible to have both 1.9.9 and the Scrivener 3.0 beta installed simultaneously, but you will need to choose a different location during the installation process (e.g. change the default "Scrivener" folder name to "Scrivener3"). We suggest also changing the name of 1.9.9 shortcuts before installing Scrivener 3 to prevent the new installation overwriting them.
Please note that at this time, only the most recently installed Scrivener version will appear in the Windows Programs list, and double-clicking a project file will attempt to open it in that version. You can instead drag the project file icon onto the appropriate app icon for the version you want or use File > Open... within Scrivener to access the project.
Note on Beta 12
If you have installed Beta 11, please upgrade to Beta 12 by either selecting Help > Check for Updates within Scrivener or downloading the full installer from the link above.
The changes from Beta 11 to Beta 12 are listed below.
- Fixed Copy and paste formatting in Compiler Section Layout rows [#852]
- Fixed Edit > Move Menu Options not refreshed after use [#3306]
- Fixed Font size -1 results on paste of text from some websites [#3313]
- Fixed Update default Section Types names as per Mac [#2729]
- Fixed Section Type name does not update in Default Types by Structure [#3113]
- Fixed Remove hyphen from "meta-data" [#2569]
- Fixed Comments do not delete [#3195]
- Fixed Total Counts in Outliner always 0 [#3293]
- Fixed Session Targets are not reset and calculated properly - fully rebuilt [#3290]
- Fixed Spellchecker dialog will not search after "eg" within the text [#3307]
- Fixed Sort collection by date, "newest first" is backwards [#3315]
- Fixed Various spelling check bugs and defaults [#3292]
- Fixed Document title in Editor is tiny [#3309]
- Fixed Warn when starting Scrivener from not its installed location [#3140]
- Fixed Drag and drop of JPEG files inside the Inspector Synopsis image area [#3296]
- Fixed Allow configuring the Editor status bar text to show chars instead of words [#3294]
- Fixed Project Bookmarks every other row is blank in Normal mode i.e. not Dark Mode [#3297]
- Fixed "Show target notifications" is not saved within the project file [#3299]
- Fixed Custom Metadata date "yyyy" converts to 'y' upon restart [#3304]
- Fixed Inline note spreading paragraphs not converting to Inspector notes [#3301]
- Fixed Auto-corrections and spell checking in notes and synopses [#1241]
- Fixed Reduce the brightness of the horizontal lines in Dark Mode [#3311]
- Fixed Add Help > "List of All Placeholders" menu [#3289]
- Fixed Page View footer should show page navigation [#3108]
- Fixed Typewriter Scrolling in new Project not working [#3300]
- Fixed Increase the height of the Assign Section Layout dialog [#3302]
- Fixed Edit/Clear custom metadata context menu entries disappear on hover [#3303]
- Fixed Document Inspector label text and color can't be the same [#3308]
- Fixed Scrivenings Composition mode always starts at 100% zoom [#3305]
A few issues to be aware of in the current v12 beta
We still have aspects of the Compiler back-end to hook-up; however, the Compiler interface is now complete. So, feel free to post Compiler bugs as we'll be looking to close these out pretty quickly in the coming weeks. Then our focus will be on closing out on remaining reported bugs.
Dark Mode is experimental only and may or may not make the release. It was a recent Mac Scrivener 3.1 addition in light of MacOS Dark Mode. However, I suspect a few folks, like me, will start throwing toys out their cot if they don't get an ice cream too. There are two issues I'm aware of today:
1. Pop-up message boxes get cut in half in Dark Mode.
2. Returning from Dark Mode to normal mode the Corkboard background remains dark. Easily fixed by going into Options and changing the Corkboard background color. Both these issues will be addressed in future builds.
We have not yet updated the user manual, so the beta still contains the old 1.9.7 manual. We have however included an updated interactive tutorial for 3.0, which we recommend working through to familiarise yourself with the new features.
Project templates have not yet been updated for 3.0, so are not taking advantage of new features and may have some outdated content.
Titles are not editable in the editor header while in Scrivenings mode. They can however be updated in the Inspector, Binder, or, if View > Text Editing > Show Titles in Scrivenings is enabled, directly in the editor and the change will be reflected in the header.
A Note on Suggestions
To help resolve remaining bugs, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!
Lee & Tiho
Dec 21st 2018