Before proceeding, please see the general notes about the Windows 3.0 beta and reporting bugs in the first reply to this thread. Please do not download the current beta or post reports until you have read that information.
Current: Beta 15, version 184.108.40.206
220.127.116.11 (64-bit) | 18.104.22.168 (32-bit)
(The 32-bit version installs by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener on administrator accounts; the 64-bit version installs to C:\Program Files\Scrivener. Please be sure to uninstall previous betas before installing Beta 15. If you wish, your program preferences can be saved first via the "Manage..." button in File > Options, then reloaded after the fresh installation. Bear in mind that changes between betas may affect restoring settings, and if you are experiencing oddities, please try resetting to the defaults.)
This beta will run through 15th May 2019. New betas will be posted here; please check Help > About Scrivener to ensure you are using the most recent version. You can subscribe to this topic to get notifications when new betas are released.
You can also use Help > Check for Updates in beta releases to download the latest beta.
System Requirements and Compatibility
- Scrivener 3 requires Windows 7 or above with .NET v4 or higher.
- Scrivener 3's file format has been updated and is not backwards-compatible with Scrivener 1 (or Scrivener 2 on macOS). When you open a Scrivener 1 project in Scrivener 3, you will be prompted to update the project, after which you will not be able to open it in Scrivener 1 (although a backup will be made before the update).
Installing 1.9.9 and 3.0 Beta Side by Side
It is possible to have both 1.9.9 and the Scrivener 3.0 beta installed simultaneously, but you will need to choose a different location during the installation process (e.g. change the default "Scrivener" folder name to "Scrivener3"). We suggest also changing the name of 1.9.9 shortcuts before installing Scrivener 3 to prevent the new installation overwriting them.
Please note that at this time, only the most recently installed Scrivener version will appear in the Windows Programs list, and double-clicking a project file will attempt to open it in that version. You can instead drag the project file icon onto the appropriate app icon for the version you want or use File > Open... within Scrivener to access the project.
Note on Beta 15
If you have installed Beta 14, please upgrade to Beta 15 by either selecting Help > Check for Updates within Scrivener or downloading the full installer from the link above.
The fixes and changes from Beta 14 to Beta 15 are listed below.
- Cursor placement in Scrivenings titles [#3436]
- Deleting files from Trash causes Crash [#3483]
- Formatting menu separate spacing and indentation into two dialogs [#1882]
- The "Separator between sections" custom text is lost [#3428]
- Scrivener will crash upon finding unverified checksum document [#3430]
- Fix PDF print resolution [#3448]
- Load images inside a document linked to Binder image documents i.e. allow convert to embedded image [#3456]
- Upgrading search indexes within a project crashes Scrivener [#3478]
- Markdown link conversion not working [#3450]
- Initial launch of Scrivener opens wrong document notes in inspector [#3402]
- CTRL+ arrow keys (left, right, up, down) shortcuts to move selected docs in binder can jam [#3251]
- Do not generate backup if project was not edited [#1883]
- Underline Links setting only affecting open projects for the session [#3209]
- "Convert Quotes to Straight Quotes" does not work on entire selection [#2078]
- Auto-Recovery algorithm adjustments [#3429]
- Icons not editable in Templates [#3419]
- Implement reloading of Binder document images from disk [#3461]
- Script Settings - Automatically add phrases to list truncating last character [#3462]
- Zoom tweaks and fixes [#3416]
- Spell Check marks times as misspelled [#3452]
- Autocorrection will change words which are supposed to be handled in replacements [#3470]
- Do not mark numbers and symbols only as typos. [#3469]
- "Use small font" option removed to be inline with Mac [#3422]
- Minor adjustments to index card ratio selections [#3444]
- Missing shortcut placeholders for switching bookmark and synopsis modes - users can define [#3391]
- Tooltips are not available for text and highlight buttons [#2071]
- Line Highlight feature should be under, not over, other background adornments [#3326]
- Additional Insert options [#1881]
- Printer Page Setup is lost if ther are no project changes afterwards [#3479]
- Default settings for new blank project [#3421]
- Favourite project mechanism not implemented [#3464]
- Page View unchecked on close/reopen [#3476]
- Style Keyboard Shortcut lost on project close/reopen [#3434]
- Import Warning Dialogue hidden when Scrivener doesn't have focus [#3433]
- Add Asturian Dictionaries [#3437]
- Sync With External Folder window too narrow by default [#3343]
- Cannot delete synopsis with line break from Outliner [#3194]
- Image Bookmarks should appear in the Bookmark Preview [#3455]
- Editor Header Bar split icon will not reset to default after Alt+Tab [#3466]
- Assign Section to Layout via right-click context menu. [#3467]
- Custom Metadata in Narrow Inspector causes blank drop-down [#3454]
- Cannot set custom zoom below 100% [#3032]
- Current Line Highlight obscures text highlighting [#3071]
- Word Count Tooltip blinks off and on [#3471]
- Create a new set of Index Card ratios [#3465]
- Title Case keyboard shortcut should be removed entirely [#3458]
- Opening a project that contains non-default icons in the binder an "D:/icon.png" file will be created [#3425]
A few issues to be aware of in the current v15 beta
We have not yet updated the user manual, so the beta still contains the old 1.9.7 manual. We have however included an updated interactive tutorial for 3.0, which we recommend working through to familiarise yourself with the new features.
Titles are not editable in the editor header while in Scrivenings mode. They can however be updated in the Inspector, Binder, or, if View > Text Editing > Show Titles in Scrivenings is enabled, directly in the editor and the change will be reflected in the header.
A Note on Suggestions
To help resolve remaining bugs, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!
Lee & Tiho
March 21st 2019
Previous Beta: Beta 14, version 22.214.171.124 (valid until end of April 2019)
126.96.36.199 (64-bit) | 188.8.131.52 (32-bit)