Before proceeding, please see the general notes about the Windows 3.0 beta and reporting bugs in the first reply to this thread. Please do not download the current beta or post reports until you have read that information.
Current: Beta 36, version 18.104.22.168
22.214.171.124 (64-bit) | 126.96.36.199 (32-bit)
(The 32-bit version installs by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener on administrator accounts; the 64-bit version installs to C:\Program Files\Scrivener. Please be sure to uninstall previous betas before installing Beta 36. If you wish, your program preferences can be saved first via the "Manage..." button in File > Options, then reloaded after the fresh installation. Bear in mind that changes between betas may affect restoring settings, and if you are experiencing oddities, please try resetting to the defaults.)
New interim betas will be posted here; please check Help > About Scrivener to ensure you are using the most recent version. You can subscribe to this topic to get notifications when new betas are released.
You can also use Help > Check for Updates in beta releases to download the latest beta.
System Requirements and Compatibility
- Scrivener 3 requires Windows 7 or above with .NET v4.6.2 or higher.
- Scrivener 3's file format has been updated and is not backwards-compatible with Scrivener 1 (or Scrivener 2 on macOS). When you open a Scrivener 1 project in Scrivener 3, you will be prompted to update the project, after which you will not be able to open it in Scrivener 1 (although a backup will be made before the update).
Installing 1.9.9 and 3.0 Beta Side by Side
It is possible to have both 1.9.9 and the Scrivener 3.0 beta installed simultaneously, but you will need to choose a different location during the installation process (e.g. change the default "Scrivener" folder name to "Scrivener3"). We suggest also changing the name of 1.9.9 shortcuts before installing Scrivener 3 to prevent the new installation overwriting them.
Please note that at this time, only the most recently installed Scrivener version will appear in the Windows Programs list, and double-clicking a project file will attempt to open it in that version. You can instead drag the project file icon onto the appropriate app icon for the version you want or use File > Open... within Scrivener to access the project.
The fixes and changes from Beta 35 to Beta 36 are listed below.
- Invert drag and drop of a document functionality to match Mac 
- Overhaul Scriptwriting settings, file format and GUI to match Mac 
- Scriptwriting spacing fixes and functional key fixes
- BBC Radio Scene element lost from Mac project 
- Stage Play US elements not recognized on Windows 
- BBC Taped Drama Character element lost from Mac 
- Implement Compile Styles export for Script Elements as styles in RTF
- Auto-Open the legacy compile setting import dialog only if project compile settings exist 
- Add the "Tufte (Book)" MMD > LaTex document class 
- LaTeX Options "Custom" setting should make use of new MMD6 naming convention 
- MMD output directory now created according to Mac specification
- Pandoc/Latex styles export
- Markdown Compile folder generation and reuse 
- Styles override now matches Mac specification
- Placeholders not handled if placed in Section Layout > Title Options 
- Mixed-case placeholders now correctly replaced
- <$parentposition> placeholder ignored in compile replacements 
- Project Replace fails within main text 
- Flatten first line-indent functionality no matches Mac specification
- Blue binder header and underline should indicate separate states 
- Spell Check issues handling apostrophes 
- Convert smart punctuation to dumb setting doesn't save 
- Updated Documents collection empty after syncing updated files 
- Delay changing word/char type option in footer 
- Cannot create new items in empty outliner 
- File->Print and File->Print Preview will cause a crash 
- Compile replacement performance significantly improved
Beta 36 expires mid- Feb 2020.
A Note on Suggestions
To help resolve remaining bugs, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!
Lee & Tiho
Jan 28th 2020