Windows 2.9.9.9 HiDPI - Spelling Check Squiggly Hard to See

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:48 pm Post

BillEvansAlone wrote:I'm using the now-released Windows 3 Scrivener, and would really like to use a dark theme like Mellow Yellow. But the spelling underlining is almost impossible to see, despite following the advice on Waves, 1080p resolution, and Coloring Textual Marks, and after meddling for an hour with Windows Color options.
Mellow Yellow is currently my go to theme, and it's a pity you can't make it work for you. :(

When/if you're willing to have a go at it again, try messing with the editor fonts, because the font seems to make a big difference in the visibility of the spelling underline. In the screenshot below is a comparison of Cambria 12, TNR 12, and Courier Prime 12 (my usual editing font). The underlining in Courier Prime really pops compared to the others, even more so on my actual monitor than in the image. (Perhaps the underline improvement has something to do with CP being monospaced and the others proportional?)

The sweet spot for me seems to be Courier Prime 12 at 1080 and 150% zoom level, with the default red specified in Textual Marks. This makes the underline quite usable for me.
Spelling Underline.jpg
Spelling Underline.jpg (328.88 KiB) Viewed 90 times
Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

Bi
BillEvansAlone
Platform: Windows

Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:27 am Post

JimRac wrote:
The sweet spot for me seems to be Courier Prime 12 at 1080 and 150% zoom level, with the default red specified in Textual Marks. This makes the underline quite usable for me.
Spelling Underline.jpg.
Best,
Jim
[/quote]

Thanks for that idea. You're right, the underline in Courier Prime at 150% really does stand out. But the text is a little big at that zoom level for my liking, and making the font smaller to compensate again hides the underline. I'm still of the opinion that it ought to be possible to make the underline easily visible in dark modes without people having to carefully choose a font and zoom level :(