Installing on top of previous installation leaves old registry values

BC
BClarke
Platform: Windows

Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:03 am Post

How would I check thousands of entries to see if they're safe to remove?

Click the "Legend" button in the upper right corner of the screen when RFA is either running a scan or has just finished, then look at the bottom three entries in the legend window that appears. They explain what the icons mean, and the program automatically marks for deletion anything in the "Regular" (safe to remove) category, which usually includes the large majority of the entries found.

You can also see "Safety levels (levels of user experience)" in the Help file under "How to use Registry First Aid / Safety levels (levels of user experience)." Help is accessed from the upper right corner of the home screen.

Da
Dadooqs
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:37 pm Post

Registry First Aid is very good at finding orphans: https://www.registry-first-aid.com/
I have been using it for years, and it's safer than manually editing.[/quote]

I download this program and ran it. It paused after the first 1000 corrections! This is a new PC. About 2 weeks old with a handful of applications on it. How can there be so many invalid registry entries on an almost vanilla machine. Is this normal for windows?

Sparrowhawk

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:58 am Post

Twolane wrote:

Code: Select all

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

Thanks. That did the trick to find the stale Scrivener APP entries.

Same, thank you so much, this was driving me crazy, And now that the full version is out... I don't have to worry about it!
You will find more evidence of the ridiculousness of humanity in the bathroom mirror than any other place in the world.

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:04 pm Post

A safe way to get rid of most Scrivener Beta registry issues is to simply type Control Panel from the Start Menu, and use its Uninstall programs screen, which will list the phantom installations easily to read..

This works, and nicely removes any old versions listed which aren't active.any more. It will give a message for each of these and ask you for each one. If you miake a mistake and remove the current Scrivener, it's not going to be a problem -- just reinstall when you're done. Purchase registration won't be affected even in that case.

The only time I've had to use something else was to fix the 'Scrivener is operating from the wrong folder' message that mysteriously developed at onw point, even though it wasn't. Not going to say what I did then, as the registry tool mentioned above would probably be your relative friend, then. I sure wouldn't want to run it unless you have to, thus this comment to show a nice, clean, safe way.

drmajorbob
Platform: Mac

Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:15 pm Post

narrsd wrote:A safe way to get rid of most Scrivener Beta registry issues is to simply type Control Panel from the Start Menu, and use its Uninstall programs screen, which will list the phantom installations easily to read..

At least one of the Betas left entries in Settings/Apps for which that did not work. Someone said it works if the program's uninstaller is present and has a full list of everything it's supposed to remove.
Teeth, without gums, fall loosely in the mouth.

(I'm not a Literature & Latte employee. Just another user.)

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:20 pm Post

Actually, this Control Panel move operates well when there isn’t an uninstalled present.

It will in that case tell you the app looks already uninstalled, and ask if you want to remove it from the list.

I’ve never had trouble with this; always worked and especially with Scrivener cleanup, but of course, we’re dealing with Windows, so there may be a case where it doesn’t....!

devinganger

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:59 pm Post

narrsd wrote:Actually, this Control Panel move operates well when there isn’t an uninstalled present.

It will in that case tell you the app looks already uninstalled, and ask if you want to remove it from the list.

I’ve never had trouble with this; always worked and especially with Scrivener cleanup, but of course, we’re dealing with Windows, so there may be a case where it doesn’t....!

There are a few cases where the uninstall artifacts get wedged firmly enough this trick doesn't help remove them, unfortunately.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

drmajorbob
Platform: Mac

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:22 pm Post

narrsd wrote:Actually, this Control Panel move operates well when there isn’t an uninstalled present.

It doesn't ask that question. It pretends to uninstall but fails. I bought a cheap (yet WAY over-priced for what it does) registry cleaner to do what Control Panel should do.

To be fair, on the Mac, I uninstall by sending an app to the trash ... which leaves all manner of things in Application Support, but it's invisible there. The annoyance is seeing the dead app in Control Panel and the fact that I can't simply go to Application Support and delete the remnants.
Teeth, without gums, fall loosely in the mouth.

(I'm not a Literature & Latte employee. Just another user.)