kewms wrote:If you are getting persistent sync conflicts in spite of following good synchronization hygiene, one possibility is that there is pre-existing corruption in the project. This is especially likely if the versions of the project on various devices appear different.
I would recommend manually reviewing the project for conflict files, then using the resulting "good" version to replace all other versions. This will be easier to do on the Mac because Finder makes it easier to look at the internal structure of the project.
If you still have the issue after working through the troubleshooting guides I posted earlier, let me know and I'll post a link to a cleanup procedure.
Sigh. Any corruption would of course have occurred at either Scrivener's hand, or if I had some something bad unknowingly. (Finding out today that opening a file changes it is important, for example, and I will be a lot more careful now that I know I can't open something to check its state without...changing its state. But this is not, to my knowledge, the cause of any of my problems because I've stopped using the desktop app until I gain confidence in syncing, or knowledge of how to sync)
Cleaning would be hard. We are talking about multiple versions of works of fiction; I honestly can't tell which is the old and which is the new in all cases, even right after it happens because the old may be very old, and the new may be something I don't recall much about because that's how I am; I don't really think about my writing; I write gut-wise, and need to have 100% trust in the software to capture that stuff. Plus, looking at the stuff that winds up in the conflicts folder, I really can't make much sense of tens of thousands of words in large chapters. Hence why I stopped relying on sync, hence my problem now. Literally, I've just left those conflicts there with the idea that maybe someday I can make sense of them, but I don't really expect to. The IP is gone for me when it gets that far...it's a thing that I've dealt with my whole life, FWIW. So I have left the rubble where it is, and tried to find a way of working that avoids sync conflicts.
But I plan to write a very ambitious technical book with scrivener in the near future, so I'd like to get rock solid on sync before that starts.
But if there is some detection that can be done, or a built-in diff machine somewhere I don't know about, that has possibilities for the large documents. But I came up empty manually trying to figure out anything about a sync problem. There are just no sign-posts to guide me.