Scrivener iOS syncing via Dropbox continues to crash the app

Am
Amcmo
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:28 pm Post

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I tested the mouse/trackpad functionality in iPadOS 13.4 and it's been really great. For text editing it will make a lot of stuff a lot quicker and easier. Very curious what this all means for the future of Scrivener iOS and iPad apps in general.

Without a few more changes to iPadOS I doubt it means too much as there are inherent limitations to the OS. However, it certainly does make the OS and apps such as Scrivener easier to work with.

My new iPad delivers tomorrow. I’ll just have to contain some of my excitement until the new keyboard/trackpad rolls in around May.
Just a user, not connected in any way with the L&L team.

Opinions are the result of many years in IT and discussion with my dog.

Gr
GrahamGrün
Platform: Mac

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:33 am Post

Yes!!!! It's fixed! I must admit I had switched to Ulysses meanwhile, but I'm not too happy there. Still, the manual syncing (and no TextExpander) are a downside for me on iOS. But I think I will just adjust my use and will use Scrivener for large projects only. I had used it for one-off texts as well. I guess I will do that in Ulysses or more likely in Drafts from now on, because that's just quicker. But novels etc. will finally be in Scrivener again! Welcome back!

Am
Amcmo

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:47 am Post

Correction, my new iPad arrived a day early. Just completing a double backup of the old one then begin the Transfer. Old one already listed on eBay :)

ke
keyladamaer

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:07 am Post

It works on iPhone XS and iPad mini :D :mrgreen:

Am
Amcmo

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:35 am Post

New iPad Pro 12.9, synched first time! Yay!

si
sidderke

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:58 am Post

Amcmo wrote:Without a few more changes to iPadOS I doubt it means too much as there are inherent limitations to the OS. However, it certainly does make the OS and apps such as Scrivener easier to work with.

I understand, but I do think that another class of apps is more viable now on iPad with proper mouse support. To give you an example, I work in an Apple Premium Reseller in Europe, and we often have people who came by and asked if they couldn't completely transition to an iPad. In some cases they could, but they were using a lot of Microsoft Excell. I told them: the problem with selecting a lot of cells in spreadsheets, is that it's much more cumbersome to do that without a mouse or trackpad. Those people will be hugely affected by this 13.4 update.
And I'm wondering if we will see something from Apple on this front at WWDC 2020. We still don't have any pro app from Apple on the iPad (Xcode, Final Cut Pro, Logic). But with all the rumors of the Mac going ARM in 2021, Universal Apps now being possible already since 13.4, etc. Final Cut Pro also hasn't had an update in a loooong time. Maybe they are all prepping for something big. We'll see, but maybe proper mouse support on the iPad is a sign of things to come. I'm very happy with how well it works on the iPad.

Am
Amcmo

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:02 pm Post

I understand, but I do think that another class of apps is more viable now on iPad with proper mouse support. To give you an example, I work in an Apple Premium Reseller in Europe, and we often have people who came by and asked if they couldn't completely transition to an iPad. In some cases they could, but they were using a lot of Microsoft Excell. I told them: the problem with selecting a lot of cells in spreadsheets, is that it's much more cumbersome to do that without a mouse or trackpad.

Which is more or less what I said. ‘Makes os and apps easier to work with’. I agree completely with excel/Numbers benefitting from the change.

To address your comment about Pro Apps, LumaFusion is pretty much a mini FCP for iOS. With a few more tweaks to the OS I believe Apple could release Pro apps for iOS.

Am
Amcmo

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:51 am Post

Bummer, not all is sweet with iOS 13.4.

I have virtual keyboard issues. Known prob for some and unrelated to Scrivener, but I’m demanding Keith fix it within a week :)

gyokusai

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:42 pm Post

Great news!

So happy that the iOS update seems to resolve the problem. I’d been incredibly lucky with my outlier solution, but kept feeling sorry for everybody else.

Cheers, and keep it up!
----------------------
iMac Retina 5K 27-inch (Late 2015) | macOS 10.14.6
iPad Pro 12.9" 3rd Gen | iPadOS 13.3.1