Moving documents between projects

An
Annabel
Platform: iOS

Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:10 am Post

Hello. Please could you tell me how to move a document or a group of documents from one project to another. Thank you.

RobG
Platform: Mac

Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:26 pm Post

I'm afraid that since you can't have two projects open at once there is no direct way to do that. You would have to open each document, and then use the share function and Send a Copy to export the file as a text document, and then import that to the other project. Or copy and paste the text between documents in each project.

Jack Daniel

Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:00 pm Post

If you can't open more than one project at a time you are not getting your money's worth. Something is very wrong.

I regularly have as many as 5 projects open at once. Big Sur, Catalina, Sierra, M1 MBP, 2016 MB, 2011 MBA. Never had a problem.

As to moving docs, there are menu commands, but they seem a bit arcane.

The best way, in my experience, is to drag the source file window (open) to the right farther than the width of The Binder. Then, open the target file. Next, select the source file from the Window menu, which puts that window, offset, over top of the target file.

Select the docs you want to move in The Binder of the source file, and simply drag them into The Binder in the target file.

Wait too long, and the target file goes on top. Also, this is more a copy/paste than a 'move', because the source file docs do not move out of the source file (you can always delete them later if you wish).

Then, go back to the source file and drag the window back where you want it. Easy Peasy. My co-writer and I collaborate like this all the time over Dropbox, and it works pretty seamlessly.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:17 pm Post

Jack Daniel wrote:If you can't open more than one project at a time you are not getting your money's worth. Something is very wrong.

I regularly have as many as 5 projects open at once. Big Sur, Catalina, Sierra, M1 MBP, 2016 MB, 2011 MBA. Never had a problem.

Psst... the OP was posted in the iOS part of the forum... ;)
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:11 pm Post

I don't want this to be a pile on -- it's an easy mistake to make, one that all of us make if you stay here long enough -- but there may be some people who benefit from this. You can easily tell which forum section you are in by the breadcrumbs above the title:

forumsection.jpg
forumsection.jpg (25.77 KiB) Viewed 341 times

If you're using the "Unread posts" filter and opening the various posts at the "last read" point, you may find yourself scrolled down the thread. It's usually good to scroll up and confirm where you are at before you reply to anything.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

Silverdragon

Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:14 pm Post

devinganger wrote:I don't want this to be a pile on -- it's an easy mistake to make, one that all of us make if you stay here long enough -- but there may be some people who benefit from this. You can easily tell which forum section you are in by the breadcrumbs above the title:

forumsection.jpg

If you're using the "Unread posts" filter and opening the various posts at the "last read" point, you may find yourself scrolled down the thread. It's usually good to scroll up and confirm where you are at before you reply to anything.

There are no such breadcrumbs if you read the forums on an iOS device.
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her silicon hoard
  • Mac Scrivener 3.2.2, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina)
  • iOS Scrivener 1.2.1, iPad 6, iPhone 12 pro, i(Pad)OS 14.4.1

xiamenese

Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:05 am Post

Silverdragon wrote:
devinganger wrote:I don't want this to be a pile on -- it's an easy mistake to make, one that all of us make if you stay here long enough -- but there may be some people who benefit from this. You can easily tell which forum section you are in by the breadcrumbs above the title:

forumsection.jpg

There are no such breadcrumbs if you read the forums on an iOS device.

There are on my iPad 3 in both landscape and portrait orientations. :)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.2.3, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.4.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Silverdragon

Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:33 am Post

Not on my iPhone 12 Pro in either orientation.
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her silicon hoard
  • Mac Scrivener 3.2.2, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina)
  • iOS Scrivener 1.2.1, iPad 6, iPhone 12 pro, i(Pad)OS 14.4.1

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:48 am Post

Silverdragon wrote:Not on my iPhone 12 Pro in either orientation.

Thank you for the caveat about mobile readers -- taken to heart.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:17 am Post

On an iPad the forum section is visible at the top of the page but not on an iPhone. But... on an iPhone it is visible in e.g the Unread list for each post:

5AA88B71-49FE-4E11-AF25-ECAA335B89C1.png
5AA88B71-49FE-4E11-AF25-ECAA335B89C1.png (895.09 KiB) Viewed 290 times

Still, it’s easy to miss.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

An
Annabel

Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:54 am Post

Jack Daniel wrote:If you can't open more than one project at a time you are not getting your money's worth. Something is very wrong.

As to moving docs, there are menu commands, but they seem a bit arcane.

The best way, in my experience, is to drag the source file window (open) to the right farther than the width of The Binder. Then, open the target file. Next, select the source file from the Window menu, which puts that window, offset, over top of the target file.

Select the docs you want to move in The Binder of the source file, and simply drag them into The Binder in the target file.

Wait too long, and the target file goes on top. Also, this is more a copy/paste than a 'move', because the source file docs do not move out of the source file (you can always delete them later if you wish).

Then, go back to the source file and drag the window back where you want it. Easy Peasy. My co-writer and I collaborate like this all the time over Dropbox, and it works pretty seamlessly.

Sorry I didn’t make it clear I’m on iPad only (I don’t have a laptop or desktop)

An
Annabel

Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:56 am Post

RobG wrote:I'm afraid that since you can't have two projects open at once there is no direct way to do that. You would have to open each document, and then use the share function and Send a Copy to export the file as a text document, and then import that to the other project. Or copy and paste the text between documents in each project.

Thanks for replying. This is disappointing, I’d assumed the Move function would do it. I have been copying and pasting but it’s annoying as I have to keep going back to also copy the synopsis, status, notes and labels :(

rr
rrlewis

Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:40 pm Post

I feel your pain. I just came here to ask this same question after being unable to figure out how to reference a doc outside of it’s binder.