New to Scriv: How can I copy files and research material to a different project?

ka
kartsiotis26
Platform: Mac

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:47 am Post

Hello everybody,
I’m going crazy about this. I’ve got a Project that is a repository for loose ideas and interesting research, and I need to copy some of that material to another project which is the actual novel/story I’m working on.
Pretty basic stuff I would think, like moving a newspaper cut into the notebook I’m working on.
Well, call me dumb but I can’t find the way to do this on my iPad.
I’m sure it’s gonna be something really stupid and easy, but please enlighten me! I’ve searched online and video tutorial to no avail.

Many thanks

Ho
HowardRM
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:15 pm Post

I have been using Scrivener iOS since it first came out and I cannot find how to do this. My general view is that the app is extremely useful and convenient (since it works on iOS) but it does have its limitations. I have the OSX version on my laptop and sync through Dropbox. Whenever I have any sort of substantial reorganisation to do (even ones which can theoretically can be done on iOS) I move to my laptop and carry out the changes there then sync them back to my iPad. It’s simply quicker and easier to do it that way.
Hope this helps

dirkhaun

Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:44 pm Post

Can you not simply open both projects (in Scrivener Mac) and drag&drop the materials between projects?

Silverdragon

Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:12 pm Post

kartsiotis26 wrote:Hello everybody,
I’m going crazy about this. I’ve got a Project that is a repository for loose ideas and interesting research, and I need to copy some of that material to another project which is the actual novel/story I’m working on.
Pretty basic stuff I would think, like moving a newspaper cut into the notebook I’m working on.
Well, call me dumb but I can’t find the way to do this on my iPad.
I’m sure it’s gonna be something really stupid and easy, but please enlighten me! I’ve searched online and video tutorial to no avail.

Many thanks

You're not dumb. There's no provided method in IOS Scrivener to do this. (This is one of the reasons that I keep my research in Evernote, so that I can put Scrivener and Evernote next to each other on the ipad split screen and reference my research no matter what project I have open.)

If your research material is text, you can make a new document in your target project, then copy-and-paste from the repository project into the new doc in your target project. Other than that, yeah, if you can't get at your Mac you're pretty stuck.
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her TP hoard.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.5, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2.1; iPhone 8+, iPad 6; i(Pad)OS 13.5.1

sc
scshrugged

Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:28 pm Post

When restricted to iOS and when it’s a bigger job than a couple of copy and pastes, I use each source document’s share sheet to export them (usually as RTF) to a ‘holding’ location, then import them into the target project’s folder(s). It still involves opening and closing projects but I find it more efficient. I mostly do this offline and export to the file manager File App (third party app, not Apple’s Files) as a ‘holding’ location. What’s available to you in the share sheet depends upon what’s installed on your device. BTW, that includes cloud services.

In the Tutorial see Exporting and Printing , and for importing see Special Folders and Working with Documents.
I'm a Scrivener user, not an L&L employee.