Any other sync options on the horizon ?

si
sidderke
Platform: Mac

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:53 pm Post

lunk wrote:
sidderke wrote:It works with like a 10MB file, but with a 10GB file, it says it can't open it.

Are you saying that you are usually syncing a 10 Gb project via Dropbox between your Mac and iDevice?

I have about 25 Scrivener projects, of which about 6 are between 1GB and 10GB. The 10 GB being the biggest one. I have a 5 GB and a 3 and 4 GB ones as well. The rest of my Scrivener projects are normal sized (about 100MB).

I use them as containers for movie ideas, with a lot of research in them, including pictures, PDF's (hundreds, sometimes thousands) and sometimes video. Not only for the scripts, but also for the movie ideas (locations, designs, etc. ...)
It works great, and that's why I also, just like Keith, *don't* want Scrivener to change the flexibility of their format. You have to know that, except for those gigabytes of research, I only work in those projects on small text containers of only kilobytes. So when Scrivener syncs the changes I make, it only takes a couple of seconds/minutes, because only a couple of megabytes change - once you've done the initial upload/download. Because of Scrivener's features, I can refer to research, link to it, take pieces of it and put it in document notes, stuff like that.

The only problem I have is that since Scrivener 3, the checking for Dropbox files takes minutes, instead of just seconds on Scrivener 2 (yes, the same size of projects). Apparently this is the fault of the Dropbox API, and not of Scrivener.

The answer to your question is both yes and no: I work every day with these multi-GB files and it works fine. That's why L&L designed Scrivener: how big your project is, it only loads parts, and it's quick and flexible. So yes, I work with these files every day. But NO, I don't constantly sync 10 GB files. I constantly sync megabytes of files that are INCLUDED in a multi-GB Scrivener project.

si
sidderke

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:56 pm Post

scshrugged wrote:@sidderke, have you tried this way:
viewtopic.php?p=239174#p239174

I tested it *just because* a while back (iOS 12.x) and it worked, but it was with a far less than GB project.

Yes, that's the one I tried, and it works with smaller files, but not with very big ones. I think this *could* change if in iOS 13 I use PINNED files so the iPad / iPhone keeps them completely downloaded on my device. But we will have to see.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:05 pm Post

sidderke wrote:So yes, I work with these files every day. But NO, I don't constantly sync 10 GB files. I constantly sync megabytes of files that are INCLUDED in a multi-GB Scrivener project.

I know how sync works. ;)
I was just a bit surprised of the size. The initial sync must have taken a while? I try not to have too much stored on my iPad, but then I only have 256 Gb in total to play with.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

si
sidderke

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:12 pm Post

The initial upload to Dropbox could take a while, but even that was not too bad. That was/is 20GB in total, and took maybe a couple of hours. Surprisingly, the first download to my devices, iPad or iPhone, went pretty quick, like an hour or so, at most. I don't know if it's because we have pretty good internet speeds in Belgium or because Dropbox does this local LAN thing, but not as bad as you'd expect.

lunk

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:23 pm Post

Okay, good to know if I ever create such big projects. :)
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

si
sidderke

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:25 pm Post

lunk wrote:Okay, good to know if I ever create such big projects. :)

Yes but more importantly: performance on ipad / iphone / mac is always perfect and snappy.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:28 am Post

By the way, if you ever need to go through the long bootstrap process of getting huge projects on your devices again (and for anyone else thinking of doing so), there are efficient ways of doing so, documented in the full guide on syncing.

The theory is simple: copy the big stuff over with high-speed USB cable, and meanwhile if the project isn’t already uploaded, let it do so from the Mac (which is not throttled like the API is, and thus will use your bandwidth to its fullest). Once that is complete, drag the wire transferred project into the Dropbox area on the device. Since both will be identical copies, there will be nothing to sync at that point, and after that point, only what changes should sync.

The main limitation is, as sidderke knows, that annoying Dropbox issue with slowness while scanning large folder structures. But that isn’t quite the same thing as overall gigabytes. You can have 10gb with five binder items. In theory a 70mb project that is only text, but has +10,000 binder items all with an average of 5 to 10 snapshots will take a lot longer to sync.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

si
sidderke

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:34 am Post

AmberV wrote:The main limitation is, as sidderke knows, that annoying Dropbox issue with slowness while scanning large folder structures. But that isn’t quite the same thing as overall gigabytes. You can have 10gb with five binder items. In theory a 70mb project that is only text, but has +10,000 binder items all with an average of 5 to 10 snapshots will take a lot longer to sync.

Thanks for that extra clarification! I thought so but didn't know for sure.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:19 am Post

Hey folks, just to let you know that all is well here at the retirement home. Nurse Catalina lets us oldies play on her iPadOS beta if we eat our sprouts, and I have high hopes that if we incontinents are really good, she might even let us try one of those apps which make writing more fun by making you type asterisks between all of your words. What fun, Pip!
Nap time now,
K
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Silverdragon

Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:03 am Post

:lol:
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I write fiction. I'm not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.4, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2; iPhone 8+, iPad 6th gen; iOS 13.1.3

lunk

Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:08 am Post

Do they serve Mojave? :D

Jo
JoRo

Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:48 pm Post

KB wrote:Hey folks, just to let you know that all is well here at the retirement home. Nurse Catalina lets us oldies play on her iPadOS beta if we eat our sprouts, and I have high hopes that if we incontinents are really good, she might even let us try one of those apps which make writing more fun by making you type asterisks between all of your words. What fun, Pip!
Nap time now,
K

Please, not a universal app with a single design and interface that works and syncs seamlessly across hardware and software. Heavens, no, that would be far too easy to sell, far too easy to support, far too easy to update, and make far too many sane people feel delighted and happy.

Slàinte mhòr.

lunk

Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:22 pm Post

JoRo wrote:Please, not a universal app with a single design and interface that works and syncs seamlessly across hardware and software.

Are you switching to Evernote? Good luck! :D

KB
Site Admin

Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:58 pm Post

JoRo wrote:
KB wrote:Hey folks, just to let you know that all is well here at the retirement home. Nurse Catalina lets us oldies play on her iPadOS beta if we eat our sprouts, and I have high hopes that if we incontinents are really good, she might even let us try one of those apps which make writing more fun by making you type asterisks between all of your words. What fun, Pip!
Nap time now,
K

Please, not a universal app with a single design and interface that works and syncs seamlessly across hardware and software. Heavens, no, that would be far too easy to sell, far too easy to support, far too easy to update, and make far too many sane people feel delighted and happy.

Slàinte mhòr.

Cat got your sense of humour? I honestly don't understand why you are still here.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

sc
scshrugged

Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:11 pm Post

sidderke wrote:
Yes, that's the one I tried, and it works with smaller files, but not with very big ones. I think this *could* change if in iOS 13 I use PINNED files so the iPad / iPhone keeps them completely downloaded on my device. But we will have to see.

Currently, the iCloud Drive upload size limit for a single file is 50 GB. I did a little searching and came up empty regarding a size limit for a download file.??? Do such limits exist for one or each of them––iCloud Drive, Files app, iOS? Is a limiter tripped at an intermediate stop in memory? Could be I didn't use the proper search terms.

I regularly use Zipped files or iTunes to work cross-platform. When I use the 'cloud' I use a service other than iCloud Drive so I have limited experience with it. And I don't have any large files on hand to test, but if I did, I'd try to download the multi-GB file from iCloud Drive to a 3rd party file manager like FileApp (< not Apple's Files app) before trying to send it to Scrivener's space.

[Side note—Apple has recently raised the limit for cellular app downloads to 200 MB. That’s likely to be bettered in iOS 13 to more useful options:
https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/03/ios-13-r ... -cellular/]
I'm a Scrivener user, not an L&L employee.