Are you happy with Scrivener on iOS?

po
pomme4mois
Platform: Mac

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:12 am Post

This is pre-purchase question. Here's the story. I have been a Scrivener user for several years, and I love the product. But I only have ever used it on Mac.

Once in a while I find myself with a few minutes to spare while sitting in a cafe or elsewhere, but do not have my Mac with me. So I was thinking about purchasing Scrivener for iOS. I commonly have my iPad or iPhone with me, so thought it might be convenient to keep working on my book when the opportunity arises.

On Scrivener for iOS, I would only want to open my book, then add / change text in the editor. I would leave all the "hard" tasks (formatting, compiling) for when I'm back on my Mac. So here's the question. Are you happy with Scrivener on iOS? Does it work well for basic writing needs, and reliably sync back to the Mac (via Dropbox)?

Thanks.

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:53 am Post

pomme4mois wrote:On Scrivener for iOS, I would only want to open my book, then add / change text in the editor. I would leave all the "hard" tasks (formatting, compiling) for when I'm back on my Mac. So here's the question. Are you happy with Scrivener on iOS? Does it work well for basic writing needs, and reliably sync back to the Mac (via Dropbox)?
This is a perfect use case for iOS Scriv. I've written 100k words on this app, and prefer writing drafts on it over the Windows version.

My preference is to work on a small or foldable bluetooth keyboard, but I'm fine with typing on the screen for short periods. iOS Scriv provides a flexible, configurable keyboard row that helps with navigation if you aren't using a keyboard.

Dropbox syncing works perfectly for me, but some posters here have had challenges. If you always remember to close your project and sync on Device A, then sync and open your project on Device B, you should be fine.

FWIW, here is a post with a related question. https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=57422

Let us know how it works out.

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:45 am Post

I have all my Scrivener projects in a Dropbox folder, but of those only a few very active ones are placed in a subfolder which is synced with my iPad.
I use the iPad mainly for editing, but have also written some parts exclusively on the iPad just because it is easier sometimes to bring the iPad instead of a laptop.

It has defeinitely been worth the money.

Vut for saving sudden ideas I don’t use iOS Scrivener. Instead I use Drafts 4 and send the note to the ScratchPad.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Jo
Jordi Mora

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:05 pm Post

pomme4mois wrote:This is pre-purchase question. Here's the story. I have been a Scrivener user for several years, and I love the product. But I only have ever used it on Mac.

Once in a while I find myself with a few minutes to spare while sitting in a cafe or elsewhere, but do not have my Mac with me. So I was thinking about purchasing Scrivener for iOS. I commonly have my iPad or iPhone with me, so thought it might be convenient to keep working on my book when the opportunity arises.

On Scrivener for iOS, I would only want to open my book, then add / change text in the editor. I would leave all the "hard" tasks (formatting, compiling) for when I'm back on my Mac. So here's the question. Are you happy with Scrivener on iOS? Does it work well for basic writing needs, and reliably sync back to the Mac (via Dropbox)?

Thanks.

A slightly qualified response from me. I love it on the iPad mini; I never use it on the iPhone; and although I use it sometimes on the iPad Pro I cannot get on with the restrictions on the editor width: I find I rarely use any iOS app for longer form writing that enforces a fixed width (with two or three take-it or leave it options or a full-width). The `wide' option is still too narrow for my tastes, and I suppose having widths chosen for me irritates in general (it's also why I dropped Day One when Diarly came along).

ps
pseudonymTBD
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:11 pm Post

pomme4mois wrote:Once in a while I find myself with a few minutes to spare while sitting in a cafe or elsewhere, but do not have my Mac with me. So I was thinking about purchasing Scrivener for iOS. I commonly have my iPad or iPhone with me, so thought it might be convenient to keep working on my book when the opportunity arises.

This is exactly how I use it. The current work in progress is rarely out of my head. While I can't comment on what it's like to write for long stretches, the IOS version on my iPad is the perfect solution to get quick edits into the manuscript as ideas arise. I've even used it on screenplays. Well worth it.

po
pomme4mois

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:56 pm Post

Thank you all. Very helpful. Just bought the software.

Co
Constanceiskeene
Platform: iOS

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:06 pm Post

I love scrivener for iOS. I can say it has changed my writing life for the better. But if the update doesn’t come out soon fixing the synching problems with Dropbox I won’t be able to use it.

I have difficulties with AADD that makes writing even more challenging for me, especially regarding organization. Being able to see project parts in multiple views, and features like flagging and color coding folders have been a lifesaver for me, helping me to wrap my head around so many moving parts.

But for the last four days I’ve been trying to get it to synch properly on iOS. There has been trouble since the latest apple update. I’ve gone through your guide, spoken with people at dropbox and can’t get it to work. The bigger binders get, the slower the synch.

I could live with that, but now it’s creating all these conflicting files. 100s of them. It says it’s synched and doesn’t save all the files, but creates a conflict folder with unnamed files so that I have to go into each one and figure out where it goes.

Sometimes it won’t synch at all. I have no idea how I’m going to figure this out. And I have my novel with over 2 years work sorted out and organized in Scrivener. I can’t even go in to work on it at this point, and now I’m probably going to have to manually email each doc (over 3,000) of them to my Google drive and just work on Word. (Since you can’t share Scrivener files in the iFiles app it’s the only way to get them off.

It’s a great program. It just needs your support behind it. If you are going to cancel iOS please tell us. Then I won’t go to the trouble trying to figure out what’s going on. My whole life is in these files and it’s devastating to me right now, that on top of my own confusion, I also have to try to figure this out too.

Will you be making an updated version for iOS as with the others. If so, please advice when. If not, please tell everyone so that I can prepare now and move on with my life.

Thanks for listening.

As
Astaff
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:21 pm Post

[quote="Constanceiskeene"

But for the last four days I’ve been trying to get it to synch properly on iOS. There has been trouble since the latest apple update. I’ve gone through your guide, spoken with people at dropbox and can’t get it to work. The bigger binders get, the slower the synch.

Will you be making an updated version for iOS as with the others. If so, please advice when. If not, please tell everyone so that I can prepare now and move on with my life.

Thanks for listening.[/quote]

Have just run a couple of test synchs on folder that has over 20 projects from small to large. No problems here with Mac and iPad on latest release versions. have you any screenshots of errors? Are you ensuring totally synced and closed before even looking at other device? Just remember, on the Mac it can take a little time after the project is closed, especially on large project and if slow internet for any reason. As example, know of a large company with staff who work from home has clause in contract no-one in home to be streaming (Netflix etc) during work hours as introduces all sorts of issues on data transmission stability.

I’ve never heard any suggestion that L&L would abandon Scrivener iOS, hey they are even talking about a version for Android, so that question came as a bit left field.

As for updates Keith & co never give a specific timeframe for updates. When it’s ready is about the best estimate...

kewms

Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:29 pm Post

Have you opened a support ticket? Your experience is definitely not typical.

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/contact-us

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team