Will iOS Scriv Work in iPad OS?

kewms
Platform: Mac

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:22 pm Post

popcornflix wrote:
lunk wrote:[No, because all you describe can be done on a Macbook Air, which costs about the same as an iPadPro and weighs about as little.

The iPad Pro is not the only device upon which Scrivener iOS runs.

Right, but that makes feature parity with Mac Scrivener more difficult, not less.

Translating the Mac Scrivener feature set to an iPad Pro is rather more plausible than translating it to an iPhone 6S.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

popcornflix

Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:02 am Post

As I said before lunk, if you want to carry on a confrontational conversation with me about my mental state or personality, you should take it private and spare the other forum members.

I've said it twice, so I won't say it again, nor will I respond to any more ad hominem posts from you.
.:popcornFlix:.

Jo
Jordi Mora

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:25 am Post

popcornflix wrote:As I said before lunk, if you want to carry on a confrontational conversation with me about my mental state or personality, you should take it private and spare the other forum members.

I've said it twice, so I won't say it again, nor will I respond to any more ad hominem posts from you.

Why all of this aggression? Quite out of place in these forums ... Lunk is not attacking you personally - he is simply pointing out that what you want now seems - at least from the evidence of this thread - to be incompatible with what the Scrivener team is ever likely to offer you.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:33 am Post

popcornflix wrote:I've said it twice, so I won't say it again, nor will I respond to any more ad hominem posts from you.

I am not attacking your person. I am discussing the topic of requesting changes to software and the motives for continuing the argument after having received an answer from the developer, and as such I am adhering to the original definition of ad hominem:

"..., as explained by the philosopher R. Scott Bakker: "Classical Pyrrhonians argued ad hominem, not in the sense of the logical fallacy of that name, but in the sense that their dialectical strategy necessitates the exclusive utilization of the beliefs, convictions, and assumptions of their interlocutors. In other words, they construct their arguments on the basis of what other people hold to be true." [cited from Wikipedia]

It could be that with my scientific, academic background I am so used to questioning the opinion of others that I sometimes express myself in a way that is perceived as aggressive by the receiver, although that is not my intention. I am simply trying to understand, out of general curiosity.

A lot of people in the forum request or ask for a new feature. If L&L responds negatively, most accept it, but some continue to request it, sometimes "threatening" to dump Scrivener if their wish isn’t granted. I am trying to understand the "beliefs, convictions and assumptions" (see above) that stops some from accepting a final answer. What kind of negative answer would they accept, or is there no such answer?

I am not attacking or questioning you as a person, I am discussing and trying to understand the logic behind your reasoning.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

kewms
Platform: Mac

Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:48 pm Post

The thread was already pretty far off topic, but the meta-discussion is not necessary and probably does not need to continue.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

sm
smile
Platform: Windows

Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:48 pm Post

I totally get where popcornflix is coming from. I sense no aggression from him. Simply exasperation that whatever he says Lunk seems to wish to be antagonistic.

Clearly an 11 inch or 12.9 inch iPad Pro are extremely capable devices.

The program is called ‘Scrivener’. Is it really too much to ask to have ‘Scrivenings’ mode work on them?

IPadOS is clearly more capable. This idea that Scrivener IOS is feature complete on IOS seems odd, especially given that the hardware and the IOS software have improved considerably since Dec 2017 when it was last updated.

As
Astaff
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:53 am Post

I don’t see Lunk as being antagonistic, simply pointing out that the questions/suggestions/complaints whatever you wish to call them have been asked and answered multiple times.

Continuously wishing/demanding won’t make it happen. Calling into question the competence of Keith and his decisions or claiming (a non existent) exodus away from Scrivener are hardly likely to endear one to the team.

While I’m not a long term forum member I’ve seen multiple instances of users insisting a change or add on must be made, L&L staff responding, not going to happen and the demands continuing, some going as far as demanding additional developers so their pet want can happen, threatening to drop Scrivener etc.

On occasions some forum members get a little frustrated and point out reality in a reasonably polite way. That’s the read I took from Lunk’s posts.