Considering iOS for Scriv. How do YOU use it?

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:35 pm Post

... and have the new pencil
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

kewms
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:44 pm Post

TromboneAl wrote:Thanks, all.

I'll probably get the new iPad Air as soon as I finish July Camp Nano.

kewms wrote:Highly suggest one of the iPad Pros if you are buying specifically for Scrivener.

Because they are faster?

I didn't say that, and don't in fact agree. -- Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Silverdragon

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:36 pm Post

I bought the iPad 6th gen and like it fine, but then I'm a notorious small-screen aficionado (Macbook Air 11 :D ). The only reason I got an iPhone 8 plus as opposed to an 8 was so as to have Scrivener's binder available in landscape mode while editing. OTOH, higher cost and ageing eyes turned me against the iPad Mini 5.

Cost is a factor for me, as well as disliking being an early hardware adopter. As far as speed is concerned, RAM and network speed are more important than processor speed. You'll need to look outside the Apple website to research RAM. OTOH, if you want the new Pencil, the new iPad Pros are your only choices.
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I write fiction. I'm not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.4, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2; iPhone 8+, iPad 6th gen; iOS 13.1.3

ighulme
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:47 pm Post

I doubt I'd do serious writing with an iPad (I have a Macbook for that), but I might want to use it to do some plotting, scene creation, note taking etc.

It sounds like you have a similar reasoning to how I intended to use the iOS version.

I did try to use iOS on my iPhone, for occasional reading, editing and note-taking. I use Scrivener 3 on my Macbook Air.

Today I have just decided to remove my projects from the Dropbox sync folder and not continue with iOS as it just doesn't suit my way of working I'm afraid.

Firstly, I keep a strict folder system for different projects, so having to drop all my projects into a single Dropbox folder, went against the way I like to work.

Secondly, I keep all my projects open fullscreen on my Macbook Air, and love being able to see them instantly - having to close a project on my Macbook each time I wanted to view it on my iPhone was a real frustration, especially if I'd just got into bed and my Macbook was in the other room! :lol:

I'm not sure if this applies only to me, but if I didn't close the project, when I went back to my Macbook after syncing in iOS, Scrivener 3 would crash every single time. Upon re-opening I would often have conflicting files to go through and try and work out which were the latest ones. When you get a message with a list of pages of conflicted files for your precious manuscript, it's not a nice feeling! :(

That said, many people seem to have no problems with Dropbox sync, so it's definitely something you should try for yourself.

I don't in any way resent buying the iOS app and deciding it's not for me. It just doesn't suit my way of working and I found that I could quickly get my files tangled up if I didn't exactly follow the prescribed working methods.

In the end I decided that for the (very) occasional usage, the iOS presented too many problems and restrictions for me.

I might look into transferring projects via Airdrop so that I can view them in iOS, but I guess that's a whole other issue... :wink:

All the best,
Ian
I G HULME
The Heavenfield: http://www.heavenfield.com

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:26 pm Post

Silverdragon wrote:As far as speed is concerned, RAM and network speed are more important than processor speed.
To add some possible noise to this point, my iPhone 7 syncs Scriv with DropBox approximately 3x faster than my iPad Air 2. No idea why.
I’m just a customer.

Silverdragon

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:20 pm Post

Your iPhone 7 has 3GB RAM. and your iPad Air 2 has only 2GB. The 7's processor is faster, but that's probably not going to matter much when you're network-speed bound. Instead, the speed increase likely comes from the fact that your 7 doesn't have to temporarily move incoming large lumps of data to storage nearly as often, but gets to keep it in RAM until it's fully processed.

OTOH, if whatever Dropbox is doing that slows down "Downloading file list" is an inefficient algorithm, the increased processor speed could play a bigger role. It's hard to tell without tools to see what part of the process is taking the most time.

Silverdragon

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:14 am Post

I was chastised in a private message -- the iPhone 7 has 2GB and the iPhone 7 Plus has 3 GB. :oops: Assuming that you in fact have the 7 and not the 7 Plus, then in my days as a maintenance programmer I'd have been looking at Dropbox's algorithms *very* closely. Your significant speed-ups are the processor speed, increasing from 1.5 to 2.85 GHz, an increase in number of cores from 3 to 4, and some increase in RAM speed. This all points to a process that is more limited by processor speed than by network or storage speed which is a red flag. Network speed is so much slower that it should be the limiting factor, followed by storage speed.

Out of curiosity, is the speed-up more obvious in the "downloading file list" or in the actual file downloads?

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:50 pm Post

Silverdragon wrote:I was chastised in a private message -- the iPhone 7 has 2GB and the iPhone 7 Plus has 3 GB. :oops: Assuming that you in fact have the 7 and not the 7 Plus, then in my days as a maintenance programmer I'd have been looking at Dropbox's algorithms *very* closely. Your significant speed-ups are the processor speed, increasing from 1.5 to 2.85 GHz, an increase in number of cores from 3 to 4, and some increase in RAM speed. This all points to a process that is more limited by processor speed than by network or storage speed which is a red flag. Network speed is so much slower that it should be the limiting factor, followed by storage speed.

Out of curiosity, is the speed-up more obvious in the "downloading file list" or in the actual file downloads?
Silverdragon, Thanks for the info and the clarifications, which I regret involved any sort of chastisement. :cry:

To be clear, I have the iPhone 7 Nonplussed, so I guess 2GB,

The iPhone 7 is most notably faster in the “downloading file list” AND the “finishing up” phases. On the iPad Air 2, the latter in particular sometimes feels like a child being called for bedtime, “Just another minute, Mom!” :)

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

Silverdragon

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:46 pm Post

The "chastisement" was very friendly and courteous ; I endure worse from my editor, with whom I have an excellent working relationship. :D

Yep, processor-limited. Based on the symptoms from the threads complaining about Dropbox slowdown some months ago, I'd bet on a recursive algorithm of some sort -- elegant and seductive, they use very little code, but suck up memory and processor cycles like a son-of-a-gun, and take exponentially more machine resources as the data set to be processed gets larger. I learned to only use them when I knew in advance that the data set I'd be processing was very small and even then I'd be better off to use an iterative algorithm instead, because you never know...

TromboneAl

Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:55 pm Post

I don't want to start an OS war, but I used the iPad Air for three weeks then took it back (three cheers for Costco's return policy). I bought a Samsung Galaxy S5e instead.

I kept an open mind, but for me, the limitations of iOS outweighed the ability to used Scriv on the iPad.
Al Macy
Scrivener Version 3.1.4
iMac 21.5 Version 10.15.1

ky
kyledlarson

Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:43 pm Post

Thank you for posting this.

I have a 6th generation iPad (most recent 9.7 model) and LOVE writing on Scrivener iOS. I've had my best sessions on there recently, mostly because I find it's easier to stay focused. It's also very convenient when I'm out and about to pull out my phone and add an idea to the notes on my WIP. Which brings me to my next thought...

Does anyone know if the Scrivener team is working on an iOS update with more compile options. With the iPad Pro getting better and better I'm considering getting one instead of upgrading my MacBook in the next couple of years. I primarily publish in MOBI format and love how macOS Scrivener can essentially get the full MOBI file ready for proofing before uploading to publisher. This convenience factor would hold me back from going full iPad but if there is an iOS update on the way I'd love to invest in an iPad Pro in the future. Just seeing if anyone's heard.

Also, I love the macOS Scrivener for composition as well, just find my rhythm better in iOS.

devinganger

Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:03 pm Post

kyledlarson wrote:Does anyone know if the Scrivener team is working on an iOS update with more compile options.

The L&L team have said multiple times that they do not publish roadmaps or release dates, so you should probably make your purchasing decisions based on what the programs are capable of at the time you are ready to purchase your new hardware.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

ky
kyledlarson

Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:26 pm Post

I apologize if my question was redundant. Searched for this topic and couldn’t find it anywhere in the forum. Just wondering if people heard, that’s all. Sorry if I annoyed you.

devinganger

Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:25 pm Post

kyledlarson wrote:I apologize if my question was redundant. Searched for this topic and couldn’t find it anywhere in the forum. Just wondering if people heard, that’s all. Sorry if I annoyed you.

No annoyance on my part! The question (and variations) are becoming more frequently heard, and it would be nice if it was on a FAQ of some sort, so I was trying to be as economical and clear with my answer as I could be to avoid giving false hope.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

sm
smile
Platform: Windows

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:23 am Post

The reason they are becoming ‘more frequently heard’ is because the IOS version hasn’t been updated since December 2017.

They are heard because people actually do want someone to know that yes, they are frustrated at that, and that yes, not being able to compile to mobi on the ipad, not having scrivenings mode, not having iCloud backup etc are things they care about.

Whether anyone takes any notice is by-the-by. It’s a forum. Many people want to express those views. They don’t want to read an FAQ that says ‘We will tell you nothing about our plans’.