Dropbox introduces three-device limit on free accounts

Br
Brammy
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:05 pm Post

lunk wrote:
Brammy wrote:What I find more concerning is that the iOS version hasn't been updated since December 2017. It is starting to creep dangerously close to abandonware for me. There hasn't even a been an update for the new iPads.

I guess a one-man development "team" has limited time available, when this "team" develops both the Mac and iOS version.

I use it on a new iPad Pro, without problems. What serious problems are you experiencing?

PS. I use other apps too that hasn’t been updated for a while. As long as they work, why should I bother about updates?

I don't have a new iPad Pro, but from what I have heard it is not optimized for the screen and there are thin blank lines on the top and bottom of the screen. However, it one of those benchmark things for I view the upgrade cycle.

In terms of updates, there are a few reasons. Taking advantage of new OS features is one. General stability is another - especially in terms of new OS releases. Also, there are a lot of features the desktop version has that the iOS doesn't. I would like it to be more of an end-to-end solution on iOS than it is now.

The one-man shop nature of Scrivener is a concern for me overall. Some sort of a roadmap for iOS improvements would be nice.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:31 pm Post

We do not comment on pending releases, but I can assure you that the iOS version is under active development.

You should not expect the iOS version to ever reach feature parity with the desktop version, however, due to the different capabilities of the two platforms.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Br
Brammy

Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:17 am Post

Thanks for that.

I have never expected feature parity, but closing the gap would be nice.

bo
bonetti
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:30 pm Post

For me, this constraint isn’t an immediate issue. However, since I’m running two desktops (Mac, Windows), two iPads (Pro, Air 2), and a phone (and want to dual-boot Windows to Linux to migrate off Windows 7 anyway), I’m going to hit it the next time any of those systems changes. Or crashes and has to be restored. And this device limit was imposed not too long after the filesystem limitations Dropbox introduced for Linux users (and advanced Windows users) — filesystem restrictions that make no sense based on what the major distributions default to. It’s difficult to trust that Dropbox will not continue to change things in ways that disrupt current users.

I recognize that the Dropbox API provides some capabilities under iOS that help with synchronization. But it’s hard to trust that they’re not going to really mess things up, and having only iTunes as an alternative transfer method may be impractical. As noted elsewhere in the thread, the lowest paid tier is a pretty steep price of admission just to use 1GB on four or five devices. I’d rather sub to L&L to fund iOS Files support or something than dropbox because they felt like changing the rules.

Please, please, please revisit other network sync options. I’m not advocating for a specific solution, but just having choice on this would at least insulate us from Dropbox turning even more hostile.

Thank you.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:19 am Post

bonetti wrote:Please, please, please revisit other network sync options. I’m not advocating for a specific solution, but just having choice on this would at least insulate us from Dropbox turning even more hostile.

Maybe all of these people who are willing to throw money at KB to solve technical limitations that are not of his making and that he has no control over might be willing to do some of the legwork to research other alternatives *in depth* and find out if any of them have significantly changed so that they are a *safe* alternative to Dropbox?

I mean, it seems like every week we get some expert coder in here to tell KB how he's doing it all wrong. Seems likely there's an overlap there for the people who to pay money and the people who know how to code Scrivener to work with anything to get together and fund some research for the betterment of the community.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

Ta
Tacitus
Platform: Mac

Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:33 am Post

devinganger wrote:Maybe all of these people who are willing to throw money at KB to solve technical limitations that are not of his making and that he has no control over might be willing to do some of the legwork to research other alternatives *in depth* and find out if any of them have significantly changed so that they are a *safe* alternative to Dropbox?
Obviously I defer to KB's knowledge on this, but I am surprised that Box, which has always seemed one of the more Mac friendly sync services, hasn't come up with a decent set of APIs for syncing with iOS. Perhaps they have but they simply don't lend themselves to the scriv package format.

AFAIK they don't have a device limit and do offer 10Gb basic, although the maximum file size is limited.
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape

sc
scshrugged

Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:27 pm Post

Up-thread I had said I hadn't tried in a few months this method of transferring between Mac and iOS:
viewtopic.php?p=239174#p239174 (KB Oct 02, 2017)

After that post I tested* using the method and have successfully transferred a Scrivener live project from iCloud Drive to iOS. If there's one existing copy of the project in iOS Scrivener, the transferred in copy will be appended with a dash + 1. While you can't transfer a live project from iOS to iCloud Drive, you can easily transfer a time-stamped ZIP file to it. Just another way, among a few others, to get the job done in Scrivener working cross-platform.

*Tested using macOS and iOS. Didn't test Windows.
I'm a Scrivener user, not an L&L employee.