Project's time saving in iOS Scrivener

Da
DavidWebb
Platform: Win + iOS

Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:57 am Post

I've been using Ulysses for few months because I often make quick edits in my draft on the go while sitting on a bus or walking, and I might open and edit the app really often. Ulysses saves the project into iCloud in few seconds and it's really handy. But Scrivener takes more time to sync the project into Dropbox and sometimes it's pretty frustrating because you have to go back into the sync button and then wait about five seconds. It's so much slower than Ulysses.

Do you guys sync your writing every time you use Scrivener? I mean, if I have to edit the draft in a hurry, do you just close your phone's screen and sync it when you have better time to sync it or always wait around 10 seconds and say to your colleague: "Please wait a sec, I have to save this first"? With Ulysses the draft is always safe but in Scrivener the manual sync is so slow compared to Ulysses. But I like more of Scrivener's environment, so just checking how you're using the Scrivener while on the go?

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:33 am Post

I only keep a few projects in my sync folder, which is a subfolder in my ”Scrivener Projects” folder inthe Dropbox folder
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Ji
JimRac

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:58 am Post

Similar to Lunk, I only keep active projects in my iOS sync folder, which cuts down sync time.

DavidWebb wrote:Do you guys sync your writing every time you use Scrivener?

Yes. When I write in the desktop version, I will usually sync my phone afterwards, so Scrivener is ready to go if I want to make edits while I'm out and about. And if I make edits on my phone, I will immediately sync them when done.

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

Le
Lee.Hauser

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:12 pm Post

I try hard to sync my documents before I need them. That is, before I leave the house, I take a few moments to make sure the projects are up to date on my devices.

Speed isn't everything, and I personally have never found the five seconds or so it takes to sync the first time an issue. If you want to use a tool, you live with its capabilities and limitations. Ulysses may be faster, but I refuse to pay into its subscription model (and I can't use the desktop version on Windows anyway). And I don't often find myself interacting with other people when I'm using Scrivener. The file is perfectly safe sitting on my device while I'm doing other things, I don't need to sync it every time I stop editing.

DavidWebb wrote:I've been using Ulysses for few months because I often make quick edits in my draft on the go while sitting on a bus or walking, and I might open and edit the app really often. Ulysses saves the project into iCloud in few seconds and it's really handy. But Scrivener takes more time to sync the project into Dropbox and sometimes it's pretty frustrating because you have to go back into the sync button and then wait about five seconds. It's so much slower than Ulysses.

Do you guys sync your writing every time you use Scrivener? I mean, if I have to edit the draft in a hurry, do you just close your phone's screen and sync it when you have better time to sync it or always wait around 10 seconds and say to your colleague: "Please wait a sec, I have to save this first"? With Ulysses the draft is always safe but in Scrivener the manual sync is so slow compared to Ulysses. But I like more of Scrivener's environment, so just checking how you're using the Scrivener while on the go?

kewms
Platform: Mac

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:34 pm Post

The single biggest thing you can do to prevent synchronization errors is to shut down your desktop computer when you aren't using it.

That way, you know that what's on your desktop won't change, and you *can't* change it inadvertently because of the extra steps to power up the computer and launch Scrivener.

Then, sync your phone right before you leave the house (or office). Sync it again when you get back, before powering up the computer. Don't worry about it in between.

Scrivener 3 also has an automatic shutdown feature, which I highly recommend for the same reason.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:08 am Post

I sync/transfer using the Alternative Method (https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... c-services ((I don't use Dropbox))) when I use the cloud, or other holding area. I prefer using that method because it's a bit safer. Regardless of the method used, it's unrealistic to expect any cloud service, software or user to work without flaw 100% of the time. Don't be lulled into thinking that iCloud combined with Ulysses will always be as successful as you've stated it's been for you. Stuff happens––backups save the day. I think you already know that, but a reminder doesn't hurt you or any onlookers : -).

In iOS and macOS Scrivener, I create a dated ZIP(s) after, and often during, every session. Taking 5, 10 or 60 seconds to sync/transfer is an important element of the job. If I happened to be interrupted by someone and I need to stop the session, they can wait. If they can't understand that, they'll not interrupt me again.

Edit to add: My last sentence stuck in my brain as implying that I impose a uniform severe response towards an interrupter. While I have occasionally been intentionally (or not) forceful towards an interrupter during a Eureka! moment, that's not the norm. Verbal or written explanation of my work needs and their needs has been accepted by me, family, friends and associates. A simple system of cues for each participant has been successful. We use single verbal or text message words, and even signs/objects to communicate our needs. They and I know that what looks like someone doing nothing might not be the case. Everyone's expectations are met; harmony is achieved.

It does get more tricky with someone who isn't in on the scheme, but most people will immediately understand/cooperate when given the chance. I will shut up now. :)
I'm a Scrivener user, not an L&L employee.