How to view external bookmarks made on Scrivener Mac on Scrivener ios?

ho
hoksze
Platform: Mac

Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:37 am Post

I am not able to see document bookmarks (external bookmarks that are url links) that I created on Scrivener for Mac on Scrivener for iPad. Am I missing something or are those links not accessible on the iPad? I don't seem to be able to find the answer either on the IOS guide or by search topics on the forum. I would appreciate any help! Thanks.

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:31 am Post

If the link you have created is to a file or folder on the hard drive of the Mac, then obviously it will not be available on the iOS device because ... well, it is on the Mac hard drive and not on the iOS device. So there is nothing to link to. Obviously, when you sync a project, you do not sync the whole of your computer hard drive to the iOS device. And of course the folder structure on the Mac is not replicated on the iOS device in any case. These limitations are one of the reasons why I use DEVONthink and Bookends to store all my research material.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

si
siriuslea

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:07 pm Post

I don't really understand why it wouldn't be useful to see web bookmarks on iOS?

mb
mbbntu

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:56 pm Post

The OP wasn't talking about web bookmarks.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

ho
hoksze

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:06 pm Post

Actually, I am thinking about web links i.e bookmarks that consist of URLs. It would be really useful to be able to see those on the IOS version.

So it's true we can't see those on the IOS version as of now? I would like to add that to the list of requested features then!

Thanks for the replies. Other helpful feedback will be appreciated as well!

mb
mbbntu

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:37 pm Post

Sorry, I was misled by the word "document", but I see what you mean now.

I get round such limitations by having a "links" page in a project on which I put the links / URLs that I want to use. A long click on the link on the page in iOS will launch the web page.

Alternatively you could have a kind of footer area on a page where you put links, which could be deleted when they are no longer needed. I often have a "junk" or "jottings" area for stuff I am not sure about. I find it doesn't really get in the way.