Question on exiting Scrivener to check a document...

mw
mwm
Platform: Mac

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:00 am Post

If I’m writing on Scrivener, then I want to go to my email and copy and paste something. Do I have to save the project every time, or can I just exit without fear of loosing data.

xiamenese

Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:19 am Post

You're in the iOS forum, but your personal data says you use MAC. Which platform does your question refer to?

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.3, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:00 pm Post

And either way, there is no need to manually save whenever you Cmd-Tab to another program. On both platforms Scrivener will have likely already saved for you by the time are in another program.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

mw
mwm

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:20 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:You're in the iOS forum, but your personal data says you use MAC. Which platform does your question refer to?

Mark

I have both. This question pertains to the iOS.

mw
mwm

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:23 pm Post

AmberV wrote:And either way, there is no need to manually save whenever you Cmd-Tab to another program. On both platforms Scrivener will have likely already saved for you by the time are in another program.

Well, on my Mac, I don’t have to “close” the program when looking something up, I can just minimize it.
But on my iPad I have to close the app by pressing the home button to switch between. Do I have to exit out of the project before I do this. I’m concerned about loosing data .

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:30 pm Post

mwm wrote:....But on my iPad I have to close the app by pressing the home button to switch between....

No, I think this is where your understanding is incorrect.

Pressing the home button does not *close* the app. It is the iOS equivalent to minimizing it on your Mac. The app is still active, and you can press home again to switch back to it.

You *close* the app when you swipe it up and out.

kewms

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:32 pm Post

mwm wrote:Well, on my Mac, I don’t have to “close” the program when looking something up, I can just minimize it.
But on my iPad I have to close the app by pressing the home button to switch between. Do I have to exit out of the project before I do this. I’m concerned about loosing data .

No. I do this all the time. When you press the Home button, the state of the app is saved in memory. When you switch back, it should still be exactly as you left it. Note, however, that this only saves the project locally: it does NOT sync it with Dropbox.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:39 pm Post

Yup, all of the above is accurate, and in all cases the work is saved when you switch out. The only time you really need to exit a project is if you choose to copy the project off of the device with something like iTunes. You can even sync without closing it.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles