Syncing Scrivener on iOS takes a long time

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:59 pm Post

If this was inherent in the way iOS Scrivener handles Mac v 3 projects, surely someone would have discovered this during the beta testing? Or more users should be afflicted. As far as I understand it there are only two likely explanations:
1) something in the way your projects and/or project folders are set up and structured
2) some recent changes in the Dropbox API that causes this
If it was #2 all users should be afflicted, not only a few, so it seems that it has to do with #1. Then Katherines suggestion seems logical. Remove everything from the sync folder and then put the projects back one by one to find if it is one specific project that causes the problem or if it is the overall number of projects.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

is
istara

Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:55 pm Post

lunk wrote:If this was inherent in the way iOS Scrivener handles Mac v 3 projects, surely someone would have discovered this during the beta testing? Or more users should be afflicted. As far as I understand it there are only two likely explanations:
1) something in the way your projects and/or project folders are set up and structured
2) some recent changes in the Dropbox API that causes this
If it was #2 all users should be afflicted, not only a few, so it seems that it has to do with #1. Then Katherines suggestion seems logical. Remove everything from the sync folder and then put the projects back one by one to find if it is one specific project that causes the problem or if it is the overall number of projects.

Lunk - I performed Katherine's suggestion, and if you look at my data, it's pretty clear that it's the overall number of projects (and the number of files within them) that is the issue. When it should be syncing a single Project file (having performed the initial check to see what individual Projects need updating) it is then re-checking every single file in every single Project file - even those that have passed the initial check of being unchanged.

The tests to do this are:

1. Dropbox folder with 1 small Project in
2. Dropbox folder with 1 large Project in
3. Dropbox folder with 30 small Projects in
4. Dropbox folder with 30 large Projects in

Let's see what correlates with a slower update. And just to reiterate: the test is to update one single Project file within that folder, not all of them. Obviously one would expect a slow sync updating 30 Project files.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:32 pm Post

I may have already asked this, but just to leave no stone unturned...

Where are Scrivener's automatic backups going? The Scrivener -> Preferences -> Backups tab will tell you. If they're going to the iOS Scrivener folder in Dropbox, they'll definitely affect your sync time, but ZIP backups won't show up in the Projects list.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

si
sidderke

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:52 pm Post

Hi Katherine,

in my case, on the iMac they are going to a local Documents folder, and on the Macbook Pro they are switched off. Nothing of the backups goes to Dropbox (I wouldn't have the space for it either).

is
istara

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:56 am Post

kewms wrote:I may have already asked this, but just to leave no stone unturned...

Where are Scrivener's automatic backups going? The Scrivener -> Preferences -> Backups tab will tell you. If they're going to the iOS Scrivener folder in Dropbox, they'll definitely affect your sync time, but ZIP backups won't show up in the Projects list.

Katherine

Mine were termporarily going there, but I fixed them to go to an entirely separate folder, in an early attempt to resolve this issue. All my experiments have been carried out *without* any backup files in the dropbox folder.

si
sidderke

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:13 pm Post

Sorry if this is a double post but someone on the Scrivener Users podcast group had his ios device take 7 minutes to sync 1 Scrivener project of 116kb.
I don't know the technical specifics of that person's matter but I hope the Scrivener team takes a more serious look at these complaints.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:19 pm Post

Having followed all these threads dealing with ”slow sync” I would guess that it’s an almost hopeless task for KB to find the cause, because the information provided in the threads are incomplete and scattered, making it impossible to replicate the process. If it is something that Scrivener does, one needs to know exactly in what situations the slow sync occur. If it has to do with Dropbox, then there isn’t much KB can do.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

kewms

Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:29 pm Post

Just to let the thread know that we're working on this behind the scenes in a couple of support tickets.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

kewms

Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:33 pm Post

sidderke wrote:Sorry if this is a double post but someone on the Scrivener Users podcast group had his ios device take 7 minutes to sync 1 Scrivener project of 116kb.
I don't know the technical specifics of that person's matter but I hope the Scrivener team takes a more serious look at these complaints.

From our point of view, it is absolutely impossible to troubleshoot "someone on the Scrivener Users podcast group." If that user doesn't post here or (preferably) open a support ticket, there is nothing we can do.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

si
sidderke

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:08 pm Post

I understand. The reason why I posted was to let people know that if someone is posting the same complaint with 1 116kb Scrivener File, that it gives more credit to 'us' and others saying that something is not in proportion in the Downloading File List time, that seems 'off'.
I wasn't talking about the case specific, but more of a: I hope that the developers are taking a look at what could be causing this instead of the more muted response I had with my support ticket which was more like 'then it's because your Scrivener projects are big or you have a lot of them.' without more direction of something happening behind the scenes.

Knowing that the development team is taking a serious look at it, is enough for me.
Thanks,

si
sidderke

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:08 pm Post

Hi Katherine,

thanks for the reply. I answered in the other thread in more detail, but in short: knowing that the team is taking a look at this, is enough information for me. Just to know that the complaints are being listened to.

Thanks,

is
istara

Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:53 am Post

kewms wrote:Just to let the thread know that we're working on this behind the scenes in a couple of support tickets.

Katherine

Thanks so much!

Have a great Christmas etc and if you need me to detail anything I’ve tried/experienced, or send you any sample files, I’m very happy to do so.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:32 pm Post

sidderke wrote:Just to know that the complaints are being listened to.

Listening does no good if there is no hard data to actually guide the investigation. There are so many moving parts and variables, you have to have data that helps you eliminate potential sources of problems. L&L can care all they want, but without the support cases they mentioned, there's nothing to get traction against because they can't reproduce the problem internally.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

si
sidderke

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:00 am Post

devinganger wrote:Listening does no good if there is no hard data to actually guide the investigation. There are so many moving parts and variables, you have to have data that helps you eliminate potential sources of problems. L&L can care all they want, but without the support cases they mentioned, there's nothing to get traction against because they can't reproduce the problem internally.

Well, I did contact Support a couple of weeks ago. I did give information about how many projects I had, and how big they were. The only response then was that they are seeing this with some people who had OR a lot of projects, OR big projects, and that the solution was fewer or less big projects.
That the Scrivener 3 project format was more complex and had double the amount of files to index. When I told them the downloading file list went from seconds to minutes (so much more then 2x or 3x) they just said the only solution was to have fewer or less big projects.

I can only say that I'm glad that at least they are now investigating it, because that was not the vibe I got from support trough mail, but more of a 'this is how it is, it's unavoidable', even if this didn't happen with 2.8. So I'm now not bugging support about it because I want to give them time to research it. I'm glad they are doing that. If they want to know specifics, they can ask me. Look at the detailed tests another user did in another thread, who had also contacted L&L support about it.

I don't want to ask L&L now every day how that's going, because I am patient, and want to give them time to investigate. Because of all the variables, I can imagine it being hard indeed.

The confirmation that they are looking into it, came in this thread and forum, and NOT through private support, which I (and at least some others) DID contact before.

Off-topic: Happy new year to you, all the users here and the whole L&L team!

is
istara

Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:05 pm Post

sidderke wrote:
devinganger wrote:The only response then was that they are seeing this with some people who had OR a lot of projects, OR big projects, and that the solution was fewer or less big projects.

And this makes perfect sense if you are updating all those projects. But if you have a folder full of large projects, and only one tiny project has changed (which Scrivener is immediately able to identify) then why do the presence of other projects make any difference to updating a single project?

Either Scrivener is re-checking them all instead of syncing the only one it has identified as needing to update, or DropBox is doing something super weird and forcing Scrivener to check them all or something.

This appears to be a Scrivener issue, as it happened after the latest update, unless there was also a DropBox update at that time?