malcolm8
Platform: Mac

Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:02 pm Post

Thanks!

dr
drdcm45

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:00 pm Post

I am having issues with synching Scrivener (app for iOS, v 1.1.5) with Dropbox. I am using iOS 11.2.5. The problem actually predates this. It seemed to develop shortly after updating the app. When I attempt to sync the file, I get a window that says "Synching with Dropbox...downloading file list..." but the wheel of waiting does not go away, and I do not get a synced file. I am able to use Scrivener 2.8.1 on my MacBook Pro. It syncs with Dropbox seamlessly. So the problem seems to be the app. Any suggestions?
UPDATE: I just let it sit and spin. Finally it started syncing > 28000 files!? This has been going on for about 30-40 minutes and I am at 19000 right now. Is this real? Is it a summation of all the times I tried to sync previously?

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:32 pm Post

How did you set up the connection with Dropbox in iOS Scrivener? What folder did you point it to?

Scrivener downloads everything you have in the folder. Even files that do not belong to a Scrivener project.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

dr
drdcm45

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:53 am Post

My sync folder is Files>Apps>Scrivener. It has worked previously and it works with my MacBook.

kewms

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:38 am Post

That huge number of files suggests that *something* is going into your Apps/Scrivener folder that you don't want there.

Number one suspect would be project backups. Check Scrivener -> Preferences -> Backups to see Scrivener's automatic backup location.

If that's not it, inspect the folder in Finder and see what all is there.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

dr
drdcm45

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:56 pm Post

Thanks! I have a screen shot of my scrivnr folder. There are 3 79 GB folders! Ouch! Any Ideas on how to fix this? Dropbox wants to download everything? Does an individual project really take up so much space?
Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 9.50.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 9.50.00 AM.png (436.55 KiB) Viewed 1675 times

lunk

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:31 pm Post

You have told Scrivener to put the backups in the active folder. You should have it somewhere else, preferably not on Dropbox at all so it is safe if your Dropbox screws up.

Do you have videos in the Research area of your Crisis project?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

kewms

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:05 pm Post

An individual project *shouldn't* take up that much space, but theoretically could if you have a significant amount of video in your Research folder. I also helped one person who had accidentally dropped their entire music collection into a project, with predictable results.

You can see the contents of a project by right-clicking and selecting the option to Show Package Content. Browse to the Files subfolder.

In a Scrivener 2 project, you'll find a Files/Docs subfolder. Browse to it and sort by Size.

If you're using Scrivener 3, the key folder is Files/Data. Inside that, you'll find many subfolders, each named with a UUID. To expand all of them at once, click the disclosure triangle on the Data folder while holding the option key.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

kewms

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:07 pm Post

Oh, as a first step, drag those files out of Dropbox to another location on the Mac. There's no need to ship them back and forth while you're trying to sort out why they are so huge.

Also, did anything unusual happen on January 1? You have two backups taken that day, one of which is huge and one is normal.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

dr
drdcm45

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:45 am Post

Wow! Thanks for the advice. I will work through this. On Jan 1 I was troubleshooting on my own and created a dummy file .

Bo
BookMama

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:33 pm Post

drdcm45 wrote:UPDATE: I just let it sit and spin. Finally it started syncing > 28000 files!? This has been going on for about 30-40 minutes and I am at 19000 right now. Is this real? Is it a summation of all the times I tried to sync previously?

I have been having this issue since the latest iOS update. I do NOT have my backup location set to the original scrivener folder in Dropbox, and when the thousands of files do "update" - which takes several minutes - I've noticed in the last week that the projects are not actually updating. I deleted the entire app and reinstalled (giving me something like 500,000 files to sync?!?). Syncing *used to* work like a dream until the zillions-of-files thing/ios update, so clearly something changed.

dr
drdcm45

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:04 pm Post

I am clearing out the file of anything that has BAK in the file description and moving them to a temporary file on an external hard drive. Once that is done, do I delete the massive files or move them elsewhere as well? What of the massive file on the iOS app? Do I delete the app and the file and start over again? I am assuming that the BAK file should carry my project and that I should be able to restore from the most recent one, saving my work.
BTW-I have a few photos, but mainly a bunch of PDFs in my research file. No videos.

kewms

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:08 pm Post

drdcm45 wrote:I am clearing out the file of anything that has BAK in the file description and moving them to a temporary file on an external hard drive. Once that is done, do I delete the massive files or move them elsewhere as well? What of the massive file on the iOS app? Do I delete the app and the file and start over again? I am assuming that the BAK file should carry my project and that I should be able to restore from the most recent one, saving my work.

See my note upthread about how to figure out *why* the project is so massive. Until you know what's there, it's hard to say what to do about it.

Once you slim down the Dropbox folder on the Mac, that should naturally propagate to the iOS device.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

kewms

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:09 pm Post

BookMama wrote:I have been having this issue since the latest iOS update. I do NOT have my backup location set to the original scrivener folder in Dropbox, and when the thousands of files do "update" - which takes several minutes - I've noticed in the last week that the projects are not actually updating. I deleted the entire app and reinstalled (giving me something like 500,000 files to sync?!?). Syncing *used to* work like a dream until the zillions-of-files thing/ios update, so clearly something changed.

See my advice to the OP. The first step is to see what all is there. The easiest way to do that is to look at the Dropbox/Apps/Scrivener folder in Finder.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

dr
drdcm45

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:51 pm Post

Okay. This has quickly become a problem beyond my comprehension apparently. I now have multiple files in finder that are 79 gigabytes +. Nothing is going anywhere fast because of the massive sizes of the files. Dropbox is frozen. My iPad app has 33000+ files and will not sync with drop box. I tried deleting the dropbox file, leaving the Scrivener folder in the hope that I could refresh the sync file from the Mac. Now I have opened a new project from the latest of the backup files that appeared to be "normal". It is about 500 MB unzipped, but it appears to be updating and reloading very very slowly. I have created a new back up file on an external hard drive. It seems that the smaller file is working, but it is slow and skipping. Not as responsive as I am used to.
I opened the smaller file (550 MB) and backed up the file immediately, without making any changes and the program is still stalled (the wheel of waiting once again) and the file is currently at > 600 MB-this is without any changes to the program. It seems that the data is being duplicated-I am going to guess the ultimate size of the back up is going to be > 1 GB.