iPad 2 and iOS 9?

sa
samsam

Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:58 am Post

I have an iPad 2 that is still running iOS 7 as I read articles where the general consensus seemed to be that iOS 9 (and iOS 8) were much slower on this older hardware. A lot about keyboard lag. Just wondering if anyone is using an iPad 2 with iOS 9 and your thoughts on this.

The only reason I would upgrade is to be able to use Scrivener - although granted, I'm being left behind on a lot of other apps I used and don't use my iPad 2 as much as I had for actual work.

Thank you. Cheers.

de
derick

Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:59 am Post

My wife is using my old iPad 2 with iOS 9, and all kinds of programs are crashing more & more. We're holding out to replace - it's mostly a recreational/consumption device for us - but for content creation/serious work, I'd definitely recommend upgrading the iPad if you can afford it.

I'm running an original model iPad air and iOS 9 and Scrivener for iOS both perform great - no rush to update that one at all -- so that may be a good used option if you can find one.

sa
samsam

Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:08 am Post

derick - Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. File this under FWIW

iPad 2 came out 2011 A5 chip
iPad Air, 2013, A7 chip

TA
TAFenmore
Platform: Windows

Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:46 am Post

I use an iPad 2 with the latest iOS version. It is a bit slower. I still use it for writing. I have Scrivener on it and the free Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and OneNote) that is available on the iOS store. Dropbox is installed. I store all my files on Dropbox. Have not lost anything yet. My Belkin (hard) keyboard connected via bluetooth sometimes has to be unlinked and relinked after an iOS version upgrade. For what I use it for, I'm fine with.
Scrivener for iOS was a bit of a learning curve and I like it. I wouldn't use anything else for iPad software now. It's absolutely awesome being able to just open up the PC when I get home and not having to transfer files from other software.

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:32 am Post

The latest versions of iOS 9 (9.3 and above) got rid of most of the slowdowns and hiccups on the iPad 2 and related Minis.

It's not perfect then, but pretty workable. Especially if you clean out the Safari cache once in a while, and use less than ten or so tabs there.

Scrivener itself works very well.

You'd get 9.3.5 now if you upgraded.

Hard to recommend or not, trading Scrivener and the extra features for a little twitchiness once in a while, cleared by a hard reset. This is just because of apps pushing the small ram memory, and no way out except a newer machine.
Last edited by narrsd on Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TA
TAFenmore
Platform: Windows

Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:15 am Post

What are the steps to cleanout the Safari cache?

dh
dhbuckley
Platform: Mac

Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:37 am Post

I found my iPad 2 basically unusable a couple of years ago so I got the first iPad Air. I do not know if upgrading OS would address this on iPad 2 but I will try.

New hardware is lightyears better so if you can afford to upgrade, recommend you do so.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:44 am Post

Much of the initial in-house alpha and beta testing was done with an iPad 2. Along with an iPhone 4S, those were my two baseline devices for testing. They should both work fine, but as others have pointed out, it’s slower than newer models. While I wouldn’t call the experience unusable, I never did demand much of it, and really only used Scrivener with it.

It could be Apple has done some further optimisation to iOS in recent years. I have not experienced typing lag or UI sluggishness in general. Where you feel a drop is when something requires a lot of processing. So long as you don’t try and load a 1,000 item image folder on the corkboard or compile a 300,000 word omnibus, it should do all right. :)

Some potential factors: I run with most of Apple’s “bling” turned off. Auto-suggestions, spell check, what animations can be disabled, reduced transparency, background networking and most notifications disable. It could be the iPad 2 is crippled with auto-suggestions enabled, for instance, and I never would have seen that.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

narrsd

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:44 pm Post

TAFenmore wrote:What are the steps to cleanout the Safari cache?

Hi - sorry for delay, just busy. And first, want to add to what Ioa suggests - I run 9.3.5 on the iPad2 (important both for the performance re-upgrade and some critical security), and it has no problem with the Apple 'bling' left undisturbed. It's as he says; you just notice when a very heavy task is asked that it's not lightning quick. I've noticed nothing of concern at all with Scrivener.

Now, that cleanout task. It's quite easy -- just be sure you're through with anything you've been reading in Safari, as you will lose all open pages. A very easy way to keep them around is to add them to your Reading List, as this won't be disturbed. It's on the usual up-arrow 'Share' menu.

Once you're ready, do the following:
  • Close Safari (don't think you actually have to do that; usual Apple cleanliness taking care of events)
  • Go to your Settings app -- the grey ball usually on first page
  • In Settings, swipe down about 2 pages until you see Safari the list on the left
  • Tap on Safari, and swipe its right-hand page down to the bottom
  • Tap on the blue 'Clear History and Website Data'
  • Tap 'Clear' on the little dialog that comes up
  • In a moment, you're done.

This is kind of like clearing caches (and cookies) on a laptop browser. I think it goes a little farther here, as I see it takes out special data some websites like to use (like the very interesting scmp.com), which is never a bad thing either.

The main point is that this lets the iPad breath a little easier all around. That's a bit unusual in itself, if one can think of reasons it could help, but help it surely does -- until you forget and load up on lots of Safari tabs again...! A habit well to break, which I haven't.

Alternatives to Safari? Well, as you probably know, they are unlikely to be better; rather usually a little worse, because they all have to use Safari's engine underneath. I do think the Google App (not Chrome) is a great different approach to browsers, with its cards and one-page-at-a-time approach. Cards are better tabs, it really feels as an approach for many, unless you are really flying through disparate information.

narrsd

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:52 pm Post

p.s. I corrected the iOS versions in original post above. Had mixed up with another software I work with.

It's 9.3.5 that you'll get now, when you upgrade. I forget the exact point at which the performance came back unannounced on the iPad2/minis, but it was definite, noted in some web chatter, and I think at 9.3.3.

9.3.5 is also pretty important for some security updates against 'hard' attacks recently.

sa
samsam

Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:24 am Post

Thanks all for the info. Something to think about, balancing wow I can finally run Scrivener on my iPad versus I need Scrivener on my iPad (using it on iPhone 5s, which definitely tips the scales toward giving it a shot). Again, thank you.