iOS with OneDrive please!

ja
jacquot
Platform: Windows

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:04 am Post

Well done for the Scrivener for iOS release. It's brilliant! ish.

With Office 365 being such a bargain at 80 quid a year for the whole Office suite on numerous devices and including a terabyte of cloud storage in OneDrive, it's a no-brainer to subscribe to it. I use Scrivener on two machines, a desktop and a laptop, and OneDrive does a great job of keeping them synched. Now I've added a third device, my iPad, to the mix, and I want to be able to access my most recent scribblings on any of the devices. The iOS release is disappointing in only one way: there's no way of accessing Scrivener stuff that's been stored in OneDrive. To try and work around this, I've opened a free Dropbox account and tried CloudHQ to synch between OneDrive and Dropbox, which works, but it's a subscription service, and I don't want to incur any more expense.

Given the ubiquity of MS Office, are you considering enabling Windows users to access their OneDrive Scrivener files from the iOS version? :D

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:11 am Post

It's been answered over and over and the answer is always 'no', for several reasons, the main being that a single Scriv project is not A file, but several files.

If you read the Knowledge base article, you'll hopefully understand.

http://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/ ... solutions-
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

is
istara

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:22 am Post

jacquot wrote:To try and work around this, I've opened a free Dropbox account and tried CloudHQ to synch between OneDrive and Dropbox, which works, but it's a subscription service, and I don't want to incur any more expense.

Isn't CloudHQ free for its most basic level? I used it recently for something and wasn't prompted to pay.

Alternatively can you put Dropbox on your devices and just use it for your .SCRIVs folder? I had my .scrivs in iCloud along with other writing files, but then moved it to DropBox for Scrivener iOS access. It makes no real difference to my desktop experience. Also your .scriv files in most cases won't take up gigs of space, so a free Dropbox account suffices.

I also tried moving over other writing files, but discovered that I can't seem to move an ePub from Dropbox to iBooks for some reason. So exported drafts have gone back to iCloud.

ja
jacquot

Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:49 am Post

Thanks for your reply istara

"Isn't CloudHQ free for its most basic level? I used it recently for something and wasn't prompted to pay."
It's free when the services you're using are also free. When one or both of the services, such as OneDrive, or a paid version of Dropbox, requires a paid subscription, CloudHQ also charges. It's not much, but it's still an additional expense.

"Alternatively can you put Dropbox on your devices and just use it for your .SCRIVs folder?"
Yes, I could, that would be an viable work-around for the moment, and I may in fact try to do so. However, I've no experience of running both Dropbox and OneDrive synch processes on Windows machine at the same time, but I suspect that it may end in tears even if configured not to monitor folders the other service is monitoring.

Having worked out what's required for the code to successfully manage the syncing of Dropbox, adding the facility to additionally sync with OneDrive, and other, cloud storage services would be much less challenging.

ja
jacquot

Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:20 am Post

lunk wrote:It's been answered over and over and the answer is always 'no', for several reasons, the main being that a single Scriv project is not A file, but several files.

If you read the Knowledge base article, you'll hopefully understand.

http://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/ ... solutions-

Thank for your reply lunk

I've read the Knowledge base articles, and note that the 'OneDrive/SkyDrive advisory' is dated February 15, and in it I sense the smell of scorched flesh from burned fingers of Scrivener support and development people. Since then, it appears that OneDrive has metamorphosed into a product that's evidently more Scrivener friendly, because in my ignorance of the advisory or the problems that other people have experienced, I've been using Scrivener with OneDrive on multiple projects and on multiple Windows PCs without experiencing any problem for the last eighteen months or so, first on Windows 7 and now on Windows 10.

Microsoft's licensing model for Office has changed so that users subscribe annually to cloud-based software permitting local installations for those who choose to do so, which is everybody in my experience. A side-benefit is the inclusion in the subscription of a TB of cloud storage. This means that many Scrivener users will also be actual or potential OneDrive users. As the question is being 'answered over and over' because it's being asked over and over by so many users in order to satisfy their needs rather than to provoke the development team, the time has come to re-examine the area.

Best wishes

yosimiti
Platform: Mac

Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:14 am Post

Jacquot--

I tried making a fuss about this particular topic in wanting more cloud options aside from Dropbox. The conversation got out of hand mainly on my part, however, one thing I learned is that you shouldn't beat on Keith and his posse because they're a very small group designing a very big app used probably by hundreds of thousands of people and it's not a simple task to simply add more cloud options. The last thing you want is to save on a cloud service only to have your files suddenly disappear on become damaged.

My only advice is I think you should just wait. This is iOS scrivener 1.0 after all and who knows what Keith has planned for the next iteration.

ja
jacquot

Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:37 am Post

yosimiti

Thanks for your comments. Looking back on mine, I don't think I give the impression of being hard on anybody. I'm just a punter letting the development team know how their briliiant work might be improved upon for the benefit of many, particularly as some software which it seems gave them considerable grief some time ago no longer does so in my personal and humble experience. :wink:

yosimiti

Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:26 pm Post

You won't believe the number of threads on this forum I've read about people wanting more cloud options. I'm pretty sure Keith by now is well aware of the issue and is probably a little frustrated over people and their frustrations. I know I'd be. But then again I'm not a genius like Keith is ( I am not at all joking nor sarcastic when I write this) so who knows what's in store for scrivener iOS vs. 2.0. Let's hope for the best and let's all be grateful there's a forum for people like us to vent out thoughts.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:47 pm Post

Saving One file, or even a folder, on a cloud server is not at all the same thing as having a software that continuously saves one or few files of a complete package, every 10--15 seconds.

For iOS Scriv to use OneDrive, MS must get other developers access to the API, the code that controls OneDrive, so the Scriv app can control the OneDrive server. And MS are not that keen on the idea.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

ja
jacquot

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:36 pm Post

lunk wrote:Saving One file, or even a folder, on a cloud server is not at all the same thing as having a software that continuously saves one or few files of a complete package, every 10--15 seconds.

For iOS Scriv to use OneDrive, MS must get other developers access to the API, the code that controls OneDrive, so the Scriv app can control the OneDrive server. And MS are not that keen on the idea.

Yes, I can see that would be a problem. Are you saying that's the way the Scrivener-Dropbox interface works, syncing every few seconds?

Speaking for myself, I'd be happy to have OneDrive synch after I exit Scrivener and it does its backup. You wouldn't want to be accessing the same Scrivener set of folders from two locations at the same time anyway - in fact I think a lock file prevents that from happening.

In case this knowledge is useful to anybody, I've added Dropbox to my PC's, moved my Scrivener folders into Dropbox, and configured it so that they're syncing. OneDrive is still syncing its own stuff, but there's obviously been a turf war between them, and at the moment, the Dropbox folders have the little green ticks and OneDrive doesn't have any, even after a reboot, which, of course, it did before I installed Dropbox. The Dropbox sync works fine, and I can access my stories from my iPad. That's all good, but I'm not certain that I'll keep this setup, though. Missing ticks are obvious, but there may be other more subtle failures as the result of the two programs failing to play nicely.

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:43 pm Post

The missing tick-marks are a result of Windows only allowing 15 icon overlays to be displayed by the OS. Once you install a new app with overlays (there are several provided by Dropbox and most other sync programs), its icons get shunted to the front of the queue. I'm not even sure if an un-install of Dropbox would remove the overlays from the registry.

But that's just cosmetic. I'd pay closer attention to the system tray icon anyway; the overlays don't always show activity for a folder if only it's contents are being uploaded/updated.

More info here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4411 ... why-so-few
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

kewms

Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:04 am Post

jacquot wrote:Yes, I can see that would be a problem. Are you saying that's the way the Scrivener-Dropbox interface works, syncing every few seconds?

No, it is not.

*Scrivener* saves quite frequently. However, the iOS version only syncs to Dropbox when you tell it to. The desktop versions sync to Dropbox more or less instantaneously, however.

There are no plans to add support for cloud services other than Dropbox at this time.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:57 am Post

jacquot wrote:In case this knowledge is useful to anybody, I've added Dropbox to my PC's, moved my Scrivener folders into Dropbox, and configured it so that they're syncing. OneDrive is still syncing its own stuff, but there's obviously been a turf war between them, and at the moment, the Dropbox folders have the little green ticks and OneDrive doesn't have any, even after a reboot, which, of course, it did before I installed Dropbox. The Dropbox sync works fine, and I can access my stories from my iPad. That's all good, but I'm not certain that I'll keep this setup, though. Missing ticks are obvious, but there may be other more subtle failures as the result of the two programs failing to play nicely.

It's not a good idea to have two separate sync programs trying to use the same set of folders/files on a local filesystem. Not all sync apps are created equal -- there are a number of ways to approach the problem, depending on what the developer is trying to optimize and which particular problems she is trying to solve.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

Go
Gordon Robb

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:23 am Post

Well I have dropbox (pretty much on ly for scriv now), one drive (for most things), google drive, Adobe Cloud and Apple iCloud, all set up on my PC and all syncing perfectly. Honestly, just set up a dropbox and only still your scriv stuff in there. It works a treat.

ja
jacquot

Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:38 am Post

rdale wrote:The missing tick-marks are a result of Windows only allowing 15 icon overlays to be displayed by the OS. Once you install a new app with overlays (there are several provided by Dropbox and most other sync programs), its icons get shunted to the front of the queue. I'm not even sure if an un-install of Dropbox would remove the overlays from the registry.

But that's just cosmetic. I'd pay closer attention to the system tray icon anyway; the overlays don't always show activity for a folder if only it's contents are being uploaded/updated.

More info here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4411 ... why-so-few

That was very useful, thank you. Although I trimmed shell icons down from 18 to 15, OneDrive still doesn't show any ticks. When it's synching the system tray icon tells me it's doing so, although it's unhelpfully inexplicit about precisely what it's doiing, unlike Dropbox which provides a list of files being synched. Still undecided as to whether to keep the setup.