Any alternative to manual sync?

ra
random_pattern
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:25 am

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:25 pm Post

So far it seems that whenever I'm done editing on my iPhone, I have to make sure I always go back to the projects screen (top level menu) and sync. If I don't, the sync doesn't happen automatically, and when I go to edit on my Mac, the changes aren't there.

Is there something I'm missing? Is sync supposed to happen automatically? (I can't find a way to turn that on.)

Don't get me wrong—I love having sync available, and I don't mind DropBox at all. But I'm using to things in my unified-Apple-device universe like Pages, Numbers, MS Office, Things, Clear, OmniFocus, Photos, etc. sync automatically.

de
derick
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:58 pm

Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:13 pm Post


User avatar
lunk
Posts: 3913
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Sweden 64° N

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:54 pm Post

random_pattern wrote:So far it seems that whenever I'm done editing on my iPhone, I have to make sure I always go back to the projects screen (top level menu) and sync.
- - - -
Is there something I'm missing? Is sync supposed to happen automatically? (I can't find a way to turn that on.)

No, you're not missing anything. You have to save your changes before you leave the Scrivener app on your iPhone.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 20719
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:07 pm Post

Derick's link provides the full explanation (and very important reasons) for this.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Bo
BookBoy
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:51 am
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:51 pm Post

I've turned on the "Sync Projects on Close" option. So the sync happens as soon as I return to the projects list. Not quite as automatic as OP asked for, but it means I never have to hit the sync button on iOS as long as I keep in the habit of returning to the projects list.

Using this option seems like a no-brainer to me so maybe there's a downside I'm not noticing.

Jonathan

ra
random_pattern
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:25 am

Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:55 pm Post

BookBoy wrote:I've turned on the "Sync Projects on Close" option


That sounds great—so where is this setting? I can't find it anywhere.

ra
random_pattern
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:25 am

Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:02 pm Post

derick wrote:http://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/ios/dropbox-syncing-with-ios#why-isn-39-t-syncing-automatic-


Thanks! I did not know all this.

User avatar
pvonk
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:16 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:18 pm Post

random_pattern wrote:
That sounds great—so where is this setting? I can't find it anywhere.


In iscriv, settings (the gear icon)>Show App Settings, then in iOS settings for scrivener, look in syncing.
- Pierre

Simplify, simplify, simplfy - Thoreau

ra
random_pattern
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:25 am

Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:31 pm Post

pvonk wrote:
In iscriv, settings (the gear icon)>Show App Settings, then in iOS settings for scrivener, look in syncing.



Ummm…this is not making any sense. Are you on Windows or something? I don't know what "iscriv" is. Is that a different Windows program? Or an iOS program? I'm using a program called "Scrivener" on my iPhone.

User avatar
devinganger
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Monroe, WA 98272 (CN97au)
Contact:

Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:35 pm Post

"iscriv" is shorthand some users have adopted for Scrivener for iOS, based on Apple's tendency to prefix everything with "i."
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

ra
random_pattern
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:25 am

Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:37 pm Post

pvonk wrote:In iscriv, settings (the gear icon)>Show App Settings, then in iOS settings for scrivener, look in syncing.


OK, I think I found it:

On the iPhone, from the iPhone Desktop: Settings, the major (long) list of apps, Scrivener, Syncing & Sharing, Sync Projects on Close, choose one of the three options.

On the iPhone, from inside the Scrivener application: (you must) open a project (but then you can be anywhere in it), gear icon at bottom left, Show App Settings, Syncing & Sharing, Sync Projects on Close, choose one of the three options.

User avatar
pvonk
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:16 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:15 pm Post

@ random_pattern : Right. I guess it's important for us to remember to specify whether we're referring to an iPad or iPhone, since it appears there are differences in the interface. I have both but have not really used the iPhone version of Scrivener for iOS (there I tried spelling it out, but that's quite a workout :lol:)
- Pierre



Simplify, simplify, simplfy - Thoreau

User avatar
rdale
Posts: 1954
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:16 pm Post

random pattern wrote:
OK, I think I found it:

On the iPhone, from the iPhone Desktop: Settings, the major (long) list of apps, Scrivener, Syncing & Sharing, Sync Projects on Close, choose one of the three options.

If you are looking at the binder of any project in iScriv (which also has Recents and Bookmarks), there's a gear icon. Tapping that will show a new screen with "Show App Settings" at the bottom. Tapping on that will take you directly to the same place as navigating to the iOS "Settings" application and locating Scrivener in that list.

BookBoy wrote:I've turned on the "Sync Projects on Close" option. So the sync happens as soon as I return to the projects list. Not quite as automatic as OP asked for, but it means I never have to hit the sync button on iOS as long as I keep in the habit of returning to the projects list.

Using this option seems like a no-brainer to me so maybe there's a downside I'm not noticing.

Jonathan

Downside: If you want to pop out of one project and quickly dip into another to reference something, then quickly return to the first project, it's tedious to have to wait for the sync when you return to the projects list. There's no reason to turn it off if you don't find it annoying though.

pvonk wrote:@ random_pattern : Right. I guess it's important for us to remember to specify whether we're referring to an iPad or iPhone, since it appears there are differences in the interface. I have both but have not really used the iPhone version of Scrivener for iOS (there I tried spelling it out, but that's quite a workout :lol:)


The iScriv abbreviation is most helpful when also talking about the Mac or Windows versions; it gets very confusing if you don't specify that you're talking about MacScriv's "Preferences" settings, as opposed to WinScriv's "Options" settings or iScriv's App "Settings". The differences in the interface from iPhone 6 (or smaller), iPhone 6+, and iPads are less significant, except for where icons in the interface are placed (as I've recently learned).
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".