iDevice + Keyboard ergonomics - Dignity

yosimiti
Platform: Mac

Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:09 pm Post

So, is there a limitation to the number of screens you can use with Duet? I would email them myself, but alas, you've got real world experience.

Scrivener projects I can see working really well with multiple monitors with Duet. One screen for whatever I'm writing, and multiple screens for ebooks, pdf, sketching, entertainment, etc.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:21 pm Post

Yeah, and to the right you see the 27" Windows machine I hardly ever use. :D
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

lunk

Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:34 pm Post

Duet can only handle one iPad/iPhone. I tested to connect two iPads right now, but it could only connect one of them.
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

yosimiti

Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:36 pm Post

so you can't connect more than one device? I thought you could connect three?

yosimiti

Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:42 pm Post

Never mind. Just figured out what you did. thunderbolt+duet

yosimiti

Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:11 pm Post

in coming back to the original subject of this post:

https://www.twelvesouth.com/product/hoverbar-for-ipad

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:37 pm Post

Update on my experiments with ergonomics and my iphone.

My car mount won't come unstuck from my dash. It's reassuring that I don't have to worry about my iPhone won't go flying around out my window when I hit a pothole in the road, but I can't use it to play with my phone, getting it as close to eye level as is practical for a more ergonomic setup. I'm still stuck trying to find something (aside from a stack of books and a china dish display easel) to keep from bending my spine into a question mark.

Pairing a keyboard to the phone is as easy as it feels ridiculous. The keyboard is easily six to eight times the size of the device I'm using it with. Still, it would allow me to do long-form writing without the fury-inducing frustration that the on-screen keyboard + autocorrect inspires in me (and yes, I've had practice... I've owned iphones since they were new (ish) on the market).

Conclusion: Because of the physical issues (carrying around an external keyboard and some form of stand), I think I'll be sticking with my current solution for longer writing sessions: my beloved MBA, external keyboard and trackpad, and my roost laptop stand (folds up very nicely). For all the extra weight and equipment, I get a reasonable screen size, a full OS (with all sorts of helper-apps that I've accumulated over the years), and the most powerful version of Scrivener available. Oh, and a battery as long-lasting as any iOS device's. :)

The iphone will still be handy for adding notes and doing read-throughs, but it's just not a serious, long-session* writing device--not for me anyhow.

* More than 15 minutes at a go
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

br
brett

Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:13 pm Post

yosimiti wrote:in coming back to the original subject of this post:

https://www.twelvesouth.com/product/hoverbar-for-ipad

Thanks, yosimiti. I came across that one in my research today. Question: does it wobble/move when you touch the screen to select text? That seems to be a complaint with several of the gooseneck-style stands, of which a bewildering variety exists on Amazon.
I also chanced upon this cute little critter, which might be my eventual solution. Anyone have one of these?
The main thing I want is a stand that elevates the iPad to iLevel, er, eye level, so as to avoid 'laptop neck,' which I guess should be called 'device neck' now, since apparently it afflicts phone and tablet users as well.
For now, I suddenly realized that I live with a musician who has an extra music stand, so although it's not as pretty as any of these options, it works, and it's free.

lunk

Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:17 pm Post

I don't want to have my keyboard too far from the screen and definitely not at a much lower position, because although I can write fairly accurate without looking at the keyboard, I sometimes have to look at it, and with a large vertical distance between display and keyboard, the repeated vobbling of my head up and down will ultimately break something.

yosimiti

Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:18 pm Post