iDevice + Keyboard ergonomics - Dignity

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:58 pm Post

One of the things that having a standing desk has made me aware of is the terrible ergonomics of a laptop. Having a separate keyboard and trackpad at elbow height, with the screen at eye level helps keep me standing upright. When I sit to write, I often use the external keyboard + trackpad in my lap with the laptop as near to eye level as possible.

Now comes Scrivener for iOS. And I was sure that I wouldn't have a lot of use for it. I hate on-screen keyboards, and all I currently have is an iPhone 6--I'd feel ridiculous writing in public with a keyboard that's several times the size of the device I'm writing on... But one of the advantages to aging is a steady decrease in one's vanity, and so...

Is there an ergonomic, portable, and STABLE way to prop up an iDevice near to eye level when using an external keyboard near to one's elbow level? Something like https://www.therooststand.com/collectio ... oCWxvw_wcB, but built for a tablet? Hell, what about something like a harmonica harness for the one-man-band, but for an iPhone? https://www.google.com/search?q=harmoni ... 8099578056 Vanity be damned!

... I'm only joking a little. 8)

Roost_Laptop_Stand.jpg
Serious Ergonomics
Roost_Laptop_Stand.jpg (32.7 KiB) Viewed 1506 times

iHarness.jpg
Hipster Ergonomics
iHarness.jpg (9.9 KiB) Viewed 1506 times
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

Silverdragon
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:34 pm Post

:D I was using a Palm Pilot with a physically-connecting, folding keyboard to write before either smartphones or Bluetooth was invented. I'm not going to tell you which was the first computer I ever used, nor when that was...

Anyway, the ergonomics of using iPad/iPhone are...challenging. I've tried one of those gooseneck iPad holders that can clamp onto your bed frame for night viewing, and clamped it onto a desk. Problem was, that when working I inevitably have to tap the screen for something, and when I did the entire gooseneck assembly wobbled. Not practical.

So, no, this is not a recommendation, just a "You may not want to waste your time/money on this solution..."
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I'm a user, not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.3, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.1.5; iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 12.4; iPad 6th gen, iOS 12.4

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:13 pm Post

You mean like those old fashioned lamps, with the long, skinny necks with a bunch of articulations? Yeah, I could see that being unstable. That reminds me of the car mount I have for using my iPhone for gps navigation. With just a couple of joints, it would be pretty stable on a stationary surface. And I already own it. In fact, I already own an Apple keyboard too. I may have to try this out!
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

gr

Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:15 pm Post

rdale wrote:With just a couple of joints, it would be pretty stable on a stationary surface. And I already own it. In fact, I already own an Apple keyboard too. I may have to try this out!

Ahh, the perpetual allure of instability.

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:35 pm Post

Pretty good topic -- and spirited replies ;)

But you know, we can learn thumb typing, even as part of our relative maturity. Especially if approached with a little dancing in the hands, so that the iPad moves around a little as letter are reached for, achieved.

This you can do anywhere, also becoming learned on how to lightly but positively hold the iPad so it isn't uncomfortable. Soon enough, your thumbs come to know how to 'snap' a little positively on each letter, and typing gets surprisingly fast; even correction does.

I find the resulting experience is better than a pen/cil, yet achieves a just-right pace for imagination to work its ways which 'make' actual composing involvement, fiction or actually other, which is great.

You can but try ;), remapped again Yoda...

Best to each,
Clive

br
brett

Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:38 pm Post

I've been wondering the same thing. Found this at Amazon. Has anyone tried it or something like it?

yosimiti
Platform: Mac

Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:49 pm Post

The beauty of scrivener is that you can pinch and zoom into text; so you can keep your device far, and just zoom the letters until you can see them comfortably.

Silverdragon

Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:14 pm Post

brett wrote:I've been wondering the same thing. Found this at Amazon. Has anyone tried it or something like it?

That's exactly the sort of thing I bought for my iPad 3. Sadly, I found it unsuitable due to the occasional need to tap the screen even with a keyboard with iOS function keys. It wobbled rather badly, and I would need two hands for my touch to register -- one to steady the iPad, and another to do the tapping. As long as I didn't have to tap the screen, it was fine (as in, for example, viewing a video.)
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I'm a user, not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.3, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.1.5; iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 12.4; iPad 6th gen, iOS 12.4

lunk

Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:30 pm Post

I wanted something that made the iPad behave like the display on a laptop, so it wouldn't be to far from the external keyboard (when I use one) and finally settled for this:

http://www.just-mobile.eu/j-m-encore-43 ... 5qUSVchcxE

One additional advantage is that when I have it at work I can position my iPad in the stand, tilting it slightly so it ends up below the Thunderbolt display. I can then use it either as a third display (using Duet) or as a standalone iPad.

Just Mobile iPad stand Encore.jpg
Just Mobile iPad stand Encore.jpg (30.33 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

yosimiti

Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:20 am Post

Lunk:
I can then use it either as a third display (using Duet) or as a standalone iPad.

Hold up, how many displays (iPads/iPhones) can you connect with duet? This little app has piqued my curiosity.

lunk

Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:39 am Post

The Thunderbolt display is connected to my MBP via the Thunderbolt cable, and the iPad via USB and Duet. So I have three displays - MBP, Thunderbolt, iPad Pro.
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

yosimiti

Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:44 am Post

Damn, I'm too poor to have that many gadgets; still, this Duet app seems definitely better than connecting things via HDMI. How do playing HD movies come out? Can you play them full screen without any issues? What about gaming?
Last edited by yosimiti on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

lunk

Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:45 am Post

It looks like this, except that the iPad was not used with Duet when I took this photo.
Attachments
IMG_2619.jpg
IMG_2619.jpg (1010.42 KiB) Viewed 1187 times
Last edited by lunk on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

yosimiti

Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:46 am Post

Sorry mon, don't see the picture on my end.

yosimiti

Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:51 am Post

holy crap! that's a lot of screens!