Moving documents between projects

No
NoodleFueled
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:14 pm Post

Is it possible to move a document from one project to another? I like to have a "notebook" folder for generating ideas in and then to move things out if they take root.

No
NoodleFueled

Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:36 pm Post

Just bumping this, anyone know if it is possible?

Silverdragon

Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:05 pm Post

I don't know of a way to do it directly :( I've exported a file to Dropbox, and then imported it into a different project. That's a kludge, tho -- I'm waiting with you to find out if there's a better way.
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her TP hoard.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.5, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2.1; iPhone 8+, iPad 6; i(Pad)OS 13.5.1

es
esotaria
Platform: Mac

Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:42 pm Post

While I don't think this is a feature on the iOS version (yet?), but have you tried the Scratch Pad feature on the OS X version?

No
NoodleFueled

Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:34 pm Post

Thanks, I don't think there is either, or at least I can't find it. I don't actually have OSX there isn't an option in the profile for just iOS.

gr

Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:53 pm Post

NoodleFueled wrote:I don't actually have OSX there isn't an option in the profile for just iOS.

Some forum admin should fix that!

-gr

p.s. I also think the answer to your initial question is 'No', but it seemed like such an obvious want, I thought I should hang back until someone with authority dropped by and gave us the final word on this.
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

markfasano
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:38 pm Post

99% certain it's not possible in iOS version (not for lack of trying on my part). As gr indicated, however, perhaps someone from the High Court will weigh in. The only procedure close to what you're asking for seems to be Silverdragon's Dropbox workaround, though in my opinion it's too cumbersome to be worth the effort.

ma
matsgz

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:52 pm Post

Silverdragon's Dropbox solution doesn't seem neither "kludgy" or particularily "cumbersome" to me. Export from one project. Import into another. How much simpler can it be?
Scribo ergo sum

markfasano
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:06 pm Post

matsgz wrote:Silverdragon's Dropbox solution doesn't seem neither "kludgy" or particularily "cumbersome" to me. Export from one project. Import into another. How much simpler can it be?

It could be a simple as the Scratch Pad, which is what (I assume) the OP is looking for in the mobile version. Personally, I don't fault iOS Scrivener for not having a Scratch Pad, since I don't use it in desktop Scrivener.

Silverdragon

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:13 pm Post

matsgz wrote:Silverdragon's Dropbox solution doesn't seem neither "kludgy" or particularily "cumbersome" to me. Export from one project. Import into another. How much simpler can it be?

Thank you for the kind words! It is simple and non-cumbersome, I think - but having to send something to the Dropbox server and then re-download it (which is what I'm really doing) seems kludgy to me in the extreme. A more elegant solution would not involve the Interwebs in what should be a strictly internal-to-the-device (if not app) operation.

lunk

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:27 pm Post

I think it all depends on how much text you want to move. With only a small quantity of text you could always copy-paste, but if you want to move several documents with subdocuments, exporting and importing is probably the only way.
In Mac Scrivener you can do it by having two projects open simultaneously and move between windows, but that's not possible in iOS.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Silverdragon

Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:25 pm Post

Well, I feel silly.

Here's a little free (i.e., ad supported) app I found:

File Manager (FREE) by TapMedia Ltd
https://appsto.re/us/6CxKC.i

It's one of tens of similar free apps so no choice restrictions here... All it does is provide a "hard disk" on your iOS device so you can save files, transfer files, zip/unzip files, etc. between apps. So now I can export a file from a scrivener project to File Manager, switch projects, and use "open in..." from File Manager to add it to the second project. The file will stay in File Manager until I delete it, so I can copy to as many projects as I like.

So no more involving Dropbox and the Interwebs, just a similar on-device solution.

No
NoodleFueled

Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:40 pm Post

gr wrote:
NoodleFueled wrote:I don't actually have OSX there isn't an option in the profile for just iOS.

Some forum admin should fix that!

-gr

p.s. I also think the answer to your initial question is 'No', but it seemed like such an obvious want, I thought I should hang back until someone with authority dropped by and gave us the final word on this.

There is also no option for Linux + iOS which right at this second is my only desktop option FWIW

No
NoodleFueled

Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:44 pm Post

Silverdragon wrote:Well, I feel silly.

Here's a little free (i.e., ad supported) app I found:

File Manager (FREE) by TapMedia Ltd
https://appsto.re/us/6CxKC.i

It's one of tens of similar free apps so no choice restrictions here... All it does is provide a "hard disk" on your iOS device so you can save files, transfer files, zip/unzip files, etc. between apps. So now I can export a file from a scrivener project to File Manager, switch projects, and use "open in..." from File Manager to add it to the second project. The file will stay in File Manager until I delete it, so I can copy to as many projects as I like.

So no more involving Dropbox and the Interwebs, just a similar on-device solution.

When you do that are you exporting as a scrivener file or as text? I haven't found a way to just export the file as is on iOS. Google drive seems to also work well for quickly exporting and importing text files. Simplenote doesn't seem to work at all, I just get the file pathway for the original file. Like:

Code: Select all

Test

[file:///private/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/451A1EEE-C3B7-4656-A06E-83633315C16A/tmp/scriv_compile/Draft.txt]

lunk

Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:54 pm Post

You have to export/import as text. If you try to move specific sub-files within a Scrivener project, both projects will probably crash.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS