Default font...

Tr
Tripper
Platform: Mac

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:32 am Post

Enjoying the new app but struggling to find out (looked in the manual) how you change the default font used in the editor. Do I have to change it individually in each document?
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

xiamenese

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:50 am Post

I think the answer is that it uses the default on any new document. If I start a new project, or a new document, the font is Palatino; my preferred font is Adobe Garamond Pro, which I've imported. I've also imported my paragraph presets, so applying those takes care of things.

I have to say, as for me it defaults to Palatino, I don't mind too much as that looks good on my iPad—I would think otherwise if it was defaulting to Helvetica—and I can easily sort things out on my Mac. I'm going to compile using my Mac anyway.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Ki
Kinsey
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:56 am Post

There's an article in the knowledge base on how to change default fonts: https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... -platforms

KB
Site Admin

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:47 am Post

The article Kinsey posted is about how to import fonts if you want to use fonts that aren't available on iOS.

If you just want to change the default formatting for new documents on iOS, here's how (it's very easy):

http://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/ ... ing-on-ios
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Tr
Tripper

Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:07 am Post

That's the one,thanks.
KB wrote:The article Kinsey posted is about how to import fonts if you want to use fonts that aren't available on iOS.

If you just want to change the default formatting for new documents on iOS, here's how (it's very easy):

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

Ki
Kinsey

Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:28 am Post

Oops, thanks Keith. I've just started the process of importing a font to iOS, using the guidelines in the Using Fonts Across Platforms article. I've gotten as far as step 6 (Choose Open In...), but when I tap Open In the only option I'm getting is Add to Notes. Tapping the More icon beside notes brings up an Activities menu, which shows Add to Notes and Messenger (latter disabled), but nothing else. Tapping the More icon below Add to Notes brings up Save to Dropbox (which I have switched off). Is this latter step the problem, or do I need to change something in the device preference pane?

KB
Site Admin

Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:35 am Post

That's strange. I have a tonne of apps next to "Add to Notes" including Scrivener. Is the font in OTF or TTF format? If it's a different file type, it's not supported and Scrivener wouldn't show up.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Ki
Kinsey

Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:44 am Post

Yep, sorry, user error my end. I saved the Font Suitcase (from FontBook) to Dropbox. I'm trying to figure out how to extract the OTF and TFF files from that now ...

Ki
Kinsey

Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:16 pm Post

Sorted now, thanks.

KB
Site Admin

Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:25 pm Post

Glad you got it worked out!

xiamenese

Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:50 pm Post

Thanks Keith. I had forgotten about that, and I have a feeling that somewhere along the updating line, my default must have got changed.

By the way, I dropped into the Exeter Apple Store yesterday wanting to have a look at Scrivener on their display 12" iPad Pro. Of course it wasn't on it, and the girl I spoke to said she couldn't load it, but she said she'd ask the Manager to do so. I'll go back and check, and if necessary, I'll try to speak to the manager myself.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

ra
random_pattern

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:31 pm Post

I am really struggling with this. Is it true that Courier (an almost universally accepted manuscript font in the U.S.) is not available (as a default) on the iPhone? I can't get that font to work on my phone, even though it's set as the default in Scrivener on my Mac.

I guess I have to use Font Book, since that's the only way to find Courier on my Mac.
Last edited by random_pattern on Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ra
random_pattern

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:35 pm Post

Tripper wrote:That's the one,thanks.
KB wrote:The article Kinsey posted is about how to import fonts if you want to use fonts that aren't available on iOS.

This article says "[if you] open a project in Scrivener for iOS that uses a font not available on iOS, the text will default to using Helvetica." However, I'm pretty sure that's not what's happening on my phone. The font that my iPhone is using has serifs, and Helvetica does not. I can't figure out yet what font Scrivener iOS is defaulting to because I can't find a way to access fonts in the app.

ra
random_pattern

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:52 pm Post

Kinsey wrote:Yep, sorry, user error my end. I saved the Font Suitcase (from FontBook) to Dropbox. I'm trying to figure out how to extract the OTF and TFF files from that now ...

Can you explain? I'm a Mac user, and I think this is what I need to do, but I have no idea how to do it. I don't see "suitcase" or "export" in the Font Book application. I don't think Courier exists as a ttf file; I used FontBook to export it, it's called "Courier.dfont," I created a Fonts folder off the default Scrivener folder on Dropbox, but I still can't get the font to work on my phone.

ra
random_pattern

Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:18 pm Post

KB wrote:That's strange. I have a tonne of apps next to "Add to Notes" including Scrivener. Is the font in OTF or TTF format? If it's a different file type, it's not supported and Scrivener wouldn't show up.

Even though courier.dfont is technically not otf or ttf format, why does it work just fine in chapter documents that were created on my Mac and I'm now editing on my iPhone?

Courier is the font I so desperately need to work on my iPhone, the only group I need, and it shows up just fine in all documents that were created on my Mac, but any new document or project created on my iPhone refuses to use it, despite making it the default font in the presets on my Mac and then exported the presets and importing them into Scrivener iOS on my phone.

Really need to get this sorted out. I expected tech support won't answer for another week, so I was hoping to get some help here.