When "cork" isn't cork

Redfox
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:41 pm Post

This is a really ultra-trivial niggle, but I was wondering if I'm the only one...

I was tapping around the new app and found the "background colours" settings. The default for the corkboard is "cork", which led me to expect a textured background like the Mac version - but instead it's a pale solid colour. Eventually I worked out that no, this was not a bug - but it took several minutes of tapping around and peering at the screen before I twigged!

As I say, it's ludicrously trivial - but I would have preferred if the options list had said "beige" or whatever. Or if the "cork" background colour was actually the same general colour as the Mac corkboard rather than a washed-out taupe.

Colour me easily confused :oops:
Elizabethan fantasy novels The Alchemist of Souls, The Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies by me, Anne Lyle, out now from Angry Robot Books!

ri
rick2250
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:45 pm Post

Redfox wrote:This is a really ultra-trivial niggle, but I was wondering if I'm the only one...

I was tapping around the new app and found the "background colours" settings. The default for the corkboard is "cork", which led me to expect a textured background like the Mac version - but instead it's a pale solid colour. Eventually I worked out that no, this was not a bug - but it took several minutes of tapping around and peering at the screen before I twigged!

As I say, it's ludicrously trivial - but I would have preferred if the options list had said "beige" or whatever. Or if the "cork" background colour was actually the same general colour as the Mac corkboard rather than a washed-out taupe.

Colour me easily confused :oops:

Haha, me too. A trivial matter as you say but a familiar feature of the desktop version that would have made the iOS app just that little more welcoming. I'm sure it's on a to-do list for a future update so I'm happy to wait.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:05 pm Post

The clue is "Background Colors". :) We describe the light brown colour as "cork", since it's a corkboard, but there are no plans to add the texture, as it would look very out of place and old fashioned. We will continue to provide the option in our macOS version, however, even as the UI moves closer to the iOS version...

Thanks,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

ph
phil.lunt
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:28 pm Post

KB wrote:...as it would look very out of place and old fashioned.

Subjective one, that. I quite liked it. Added to the character of the program from day one, for me, and helped it stand out.

As it's optional to swap between grey and beige backgrounds, why not give those of us who prefer the actual corkboard texture the option to use it?

And I still use a corkboard in the real world on some jobs. Can't beat 'em :D
Last edited by phil.lunt on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisRosser

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:54 pm Post

I never liked the texture anyway - too skeumorphic!
Mild-mannered Technical Writer by day, closet fantasist by night
I run Scrivener on macOS and iOS :mrgreen:

Website | Scrivener Articles
Amazon | Twitter | Facebook

Redfox

Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:40 am Post

KB wrote:The clue is "Background Colors". :)

Yeah, the lightbulb went on eventually :)

On a more serious note, a couple of slightly darker colours would be appreciated. I'm so used to the strong visual contrast in the Mac version that the iOS corkboard looks too washed out. I guess I'll get used to it eventually, but it seems like a very trivial addition.

KB wrote:We describe the light brown colour as "cork", since it's a corkboard, but there are no plans to add the texture, as it would look very out of place and old fashioned. We will continue to provide the option in our macOS version, however, even as the UI moves closer to the iOS version...

On iOS, I agree - but sometimes I think the current trend away from all forms of skeuomorphism throws the usability baby out with the design bathwater. It's getting to the point where it's easy to confuse one app icon for another, because they're all flat minimalistic squares! It also violates the design principle of affordance, but that's an argument for another day :)
Elizabethan fantasy novels The Alchemist of Souls, The Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies by me, Anne Lyle, out now from Angry Robot Books!

an
angelique

Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:12 am Post

KB wrote:The clue is "Background Colors". :) ....there are no plans to add the texture, as it would look very out of place and old fashioned.

I strongly disagree that the actual corkboard background would look out of place! And as for old-fashioned, that's why I LIKE it. I'm very disappointed to learn that I won't be seeing it on my iPad; it's one of thing things I was looking forward to. (Now if I could only import a project, but that's something I asked about in another thread.)

Ge
GeorgiaC

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:09 am Post

Pleeeease add the corkboard texture.

The corkboard is my favourite part of Scrivener, and having it skeuomorphic makes it work far better for me (somehow, I suppose the corkboard has more of a defamiliarising effect compared to straightforward text when it has a corkboard background - that helps me take a step back and find structural flaws. Yes, I'm serious).

As an option for those of us who like it, even if it's not the default.

In general, by the way, I really don't think the move away from skeuomorphic icons etc helps usability, on the contrary. And Scrivener is about productivity rather than fashion, right?

KB
Site Admin

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:23 am Post

Redfox wrote:On iOS, I agree - but sometimes I think the current trend away from all forms of skeuomorphism throws the usability baby out with the design bathwater. It's getting to the point where it's easy to confuse one app icon for another, because they're all flat minimalistic squares! It also violates the design principle of affordance, but that's an argument for another day :)

Oh, on app icons I agree with you. We are having hell working out our new icon. The iOS icon currently uses one based on the desktop icon, which is in part because we want it to be obvious to desktop users. But the app icon will change later in the year. When you first launch Scrivener for iOS, and when you look in the "Getting Started" pane, you will see the new Scrivener "S" that we will be using (basically an "S" where the serifs are inverted quote marks). We love that "S" and want to use it in the icon to replace the now outdated yin-yang icon, but coming up with a design that stands out is near impossible on iOS. Everything is just a one-colour letter or symbol against a background colour. It will just be one more "S" on a background. Yawn. The flat design of iOS app icons just makes it *so* hard to add any texture or do anything interesting with a simple design.

Anyway, rant over!
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Redfox

Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:23 pm Post

KB wrote:We love that "S" and want to use it in the icon to replace the now outdated yin-yang icon, but coming up with a design that stands out is near impossible on iOS. Everything is just a one-colour letter or symbol against a background colour. It will just be one more "S" on a background. Yawn. The flat design of iOS app icons just makes it *so* hard to add any texture or do anything interesting with a simple design.

I can't help noticing that Apple's own icons are for the most part not flat colour - the plainer the design, the more likely it is to have a gradient of some kind to give it a hint of three-dimensionality. I even checked some images of iOS 10, and I can't see any differences in the app icons. I think anyone who is using completely flat colour in their icons is missing a beat :wink:

Ch
Christian Baum

Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:24 pm Post

One more vote for the return of the cork! :mrgreen:

Usually, I despise skeuomorphic (aka skeuomoronic) design. Think of all the stupid leather of former note taking apps, calendars and stuff. But the cork seems easy to simulate and really added to the corkboard feel (and I like corkboards in real life, too). Don't underestimate the creative juices it might get flowing. Sounds silly, but with me it's true. Scrivener now replaces Index Card for me, but their cork is still there and rightly so.

Best regards,

Christian

wa
warriorpoet96

Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:37 pm Post

Yet another voice pleading for old-fashioned cork :) (<--Need an emoticon for "Smiles hopefully & bats eyes ever so sweetly, oh, pretty please, oh, please, PLEASE, with sugar on top" and okay, I'll stop now.)

I don't even want to reveal how much time I spent looking for the corkboard. Not for the corkboard but the way to make the corkboard LOOK like a corkboard. Was I just procrastinating? Sure. But I really do like the way the old-fashioned corkboard looked, just as I like the old-fashioned yinyang Scrivener logo and the old-fashioned look of the whole Scrivener app on Mac. That was part of the allure that lured me into the world of Macs in the first place after I had resisted for many a year. It is a small thing, no doubt, and there are so many grand things in Scrivener for which I am and will be eternally grateful.

Thank you, KB, for all you do and have done. Scrivener is AMAZING and so are you! :)

Do
Don Goldberg

Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:27 pm Post

I agree completely with this disagreement. Bring back cork, or at least a better contrasting color.

[quote][I strongly disagree that the actual corkboard background would look out of place! And as for old-fashioned, that's why I LIKE it. I'm very disappointed to learn that I won't be seeing it on my iPad; it's one of thing things I was looking forward to. (Now if I could only import a project, but that's something I asked about in another thread.)/quote]

Silverdragon

Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:52 pm Post

Don Goldberg wrote:I agree completely with this disagreement. Bring back cork, or at least a better contrasting color.

What he said.
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her TP hoard.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.5, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.15.6 (Catalina)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2.1; iPhone 8+, iPad 6; i(Pad)OS 13.6

jc
jclark

Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:39 am Post

This is exactly the question that brought me to the forums. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I spent over an hour trying to figure out why the cork texture wasn't showing up. Open the app, close the app, force quit the app, reboot the iPad, delete the app, reinstall the app, nothing worked.

The "clue" of using the word "colors" didn't resonate at all, especially since "cork" isn't typically the name of a color. And, of course, users of the desktop version know that the cork board is supposed to look like a cork board unless specified otherwise. Someone didn't think that one through.

So I guess I'm another vote for bringing the actual cork texture to the iOS version. It's Scrivener's signature visual element. I know this is going to sound super petty, but I'm disappointed enough that I'm considering asking Apple for a refund and holding out until (and if) the real cork is ever added. I've been so trained over the years to associate that texture with that function, that it's jarring for it not to be there.

Also, it's disheartening to have adding that feature be so off handedly dismissed. I don't care if you think it clashes, it's something you can easily do so why not give me the option? Go ahead and default to your favored option, but some of us would like that choice. (I'm assuming it's easy to change, it may not be, but technical limitations hasn't been offered up as a reason, only subjective aesthetic considerations)